Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will have teaching license come summer. Need opinions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Will have teaching license come summer. Need opinions. Reply with quote

So I am in the process of getting a teaching license from America / Florida (not ESL or TEFL) and should be finished by June.

The issue is most hiring for International Schools will have long been concluded leaving the chances of getting hired problematic. Thus, for this upcoming year I am considering teaching ESL as a plan B to hold me over until the next school year rolls around.

I have already taught ESL in Korea and don't particularly want to return. Could someone give me a quick run down of these countries?

Thailand
Taiwan
Vietnam

Pay and my prospects of getting a job with a license and 1 year ESL experience? I am thinking having a real license might help even in regards to getting a ESL job.

I will have about 3k in credit card debt to pay make payments on if that matters.

Anyways opinions appreciated.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Will have teaching license come summer. Need opinions. Reply with quote

MedellinHeel wrote:
So I am in the process of getting a teaching license from America / Florida (not ESL or TEFL) and should be finished by June.

The issue is most hiring for International Schools will have long been concluded leaving the chances of getting hired problematic. Thus, for this upcoming year I am considering teaching ESL as a plan B to hold me over until the next school year rolls around.

I have already taught ESL in Korea and don't particularly want to return. Could someone give me a quick run down of these countries?

Thailand
Taiwan
Vietnam

Pay and my prospects of getting a job with a license and 1 year ESL experience? I am thinking having a real license might help even in regards to getting a ESL job.

I will have about 3k in credit card debt to pay make payments on if that matters.

Anyways opinions appreciated.

Chances of finding work in any of those 3 = 100%.
Chances of paying off your debt = not as good.

EFL in any of those 3 countries is not much different than it was in Korea.
The same issues come into play.

In Vietnam you should be able to make $1500-2000/month and save 1/2.

In Taiwan you should be able to make $1500-2000 (look for a public school job - pay and conditions are better than in a buxiban).

In Thailand you should be able to earn about $1500-2000 (as a licensed teacher with no home country experience).

MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont necessarily have to pay off my debt, simply make a 200-300 payment a month.

I dont think any of those countries pay or reimburse you for your flight. Might look into China maybe Shenzhen or Shanghai.

If all else fails I guess ill head to Seoul.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

My advice is come to Thailand. Plenty of teaching work to be had but you won't be able to save any money. Good luck! Smile
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hello there,

My advice is come to Thailand. Plenty of teaching work to be had but you won't be able to save any money. Good luck! Smile

Is the numbers quoted above accurate? ie 1500-2000usd?

I lived off 500 dollars in Korea, so I am assuming I could do the same in Thailand. Seems to me one can save 500-1000 dollars if you make 1500.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

As a licensed and native speaking English teacher expect to earn between Baht 30,000 - Baht 45,000 per month here in Thailand. Teaching wages recently have gone down drastically here in the LOS for qualified native speaking teachers with qualified teacher status. You are more likely to be offered around US 1,200/Month (Baht 35,000) at an international or bilingual run school here in Thailand. My advice is go look at Singapore, Vietnam or Malaysia for better paying teaching positions if you are keen on savings.Good luck!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on MedellinHeel, with a license you will easily be able to get a job in Taiwan at a public school teaching English. A license is required to teach public schools there. So in short you won't have any problems finding an ESL job with a license unless of course there's something about your history. Laughing In Taiwan you will make quite a bit of savings, in Thailand you will not, also Taiwan is subtropical and is supposed to be quite nice.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: