Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Africa
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anitata

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Paradise in the making Reply with quote

I am also a South African living in China. I love China, but let me tell you, I can't wait to get home.

South Africa is a one of a kind. A place where there is rich and there is poor. The rich feel sorry for themselves because they don't earn the equivilant of their US or UK piers. The poor feel sorry for themselves because they don't earn close to their rich SA piers.

I recently met a English man who's been living in Cape Town for six years. Its now his home, he has residency. He is SO angry with South Africans for bitching and moaning all the time. In few other places in the world can anoyone so easily enjoy the standard of living possible in SA.

SA has its problems...but what's life without problems. In South Africa we have the chance to make a difference to people's lives, our countryfolk. What can fulfil humans more than making a difference to someone else's life.

South Africa is not a place to teach as an ESL teacher unless you would like to volunteer. Even then it will be hard to find work. But SA is an amazing country. There are those who feel otherwise, they are entitled to their opinions.

South Africa is where my heart lies. It has captured the hearts of many. Don't enter into life their with your eyes shut, but go in wide awake and you may never turn back.

Andrew Faull
Susan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynden:
As you have seen from previous replies to your posting, SA has many excellently qualified English speakers to teach ESL. However, don't be daunted by the negative posts. Go find yourself a job in Asia or some such place, save up some money and go see SA as a tourist. You will not be disappointed. Use good judgement, listen to local advice, and you'll be safe.
Susan (SA expat in Edmonton, AB) Very Happy
Lynden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Susan, I'm 5 hours north of you in Grande Prairie! How are you liking Edmonton? It was my city for about 7 years, lots of good memories. Actually, I got accepted into the BSW program (and got full funding -yay) and I think I may want to do international development afterwards. Although I learned a lot as an ESL teacher, time and distance have given me a better perspective of my experiences and I don't think I'll be going back. But I definately plan on taking your advice and going to see SA. We have a lot of SAfrican doctors up here, so I've been able to speak with them about life in SA. Just in the process of deciding if my next cultural adventure will be in Quebec or SA. Either way, should be enjoyable. By the way, I know that social workers are in high demand in SA and that many qualified SW's have left for the UK. Do you know how easy it is for health professionals to get work visa's for SA?
Take care, Lynden
tblx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread all year its been fun(??!!).
My family and I are leaving Taiwan next week to return to good old, problem filled, mis- governed, Aids infested SA.
Why? to quote Dorothy:- "Theres no place like home." we've had an interesting time and met some wonderful people (my wife's boss) and not so wonderful people(my boss!). Our kids have experienced a different culture and gained a far more global outlook.
We've learned enough Chinese to impress people at braai's and I can cook a mean Chow Mein (the guy who owns the lunch shop down the road taught me).
I could go on for a long time about our experiences but I'm starting to waffle.
the point is, in my humble opinion, that you can wander all over this world and see many wonderful sights but at the end of the day nothing can compare with SA. I say this having lived not only in Taiwan but in Australia and Europe.
wanderlust1066

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bliksem wrote:
Klasies I have empathy that someone took your job away - but they can't take your life or your will to make it somewhere if you don't give in first...

Obviously the words of someone who has never been to S.Africa, and nowhere near the Transvaal!
yaramaz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in and around Cape Town in 1999/2000 and loved it. I worked for a children's theatre company and we travelled around doing shows in schools, including in the Cape Flats and Guguletu and other areas that I suppose are deemed inaccessible/no-go for naive white Canadian chicks. Very Happy I would love to go back for a visit, though not to work (my pay was brutally low, had to borrow money from my family to get by). It's cheap enough for North Americans/Europeans to visit and live well for an extended time. The people, the food, the natural environment, the wild swirl of cultures... yum! I do miss it.
O, and during my stay there, including a long and lovely camping trip through the Western and Northern Capes, I personally experienced no crime, no violence. I know it was out there (I read the papers, watched the news, etc) but I was never harmed. It can't be as dire and absolute as portrayed by an earlier poster.
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: BILTONG?! Reply with quote

Wow biltong, haven't had that since I was 7. Anyone know how you can get hold of it overseas. I used to just devour the stuff!
Jane51

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOs, Wes Tuis bes!

I miss Cape Town really badly and would love to work in SA but....

Any way EF (English First) has just opened a branch in Sandton J'burg. Should be relatively safe but who knows. So if you want to work in SA maybe that will be an option. There is a TEFL school in Cape Town in Greenpoint, I think.

I'm going 'home' for a few weeks beginning of July and am going to my cabin in the Cedarberg for a detremined chill....winter remember! Some rooies round the braai with the bobejantjies tjanking in the hills. Lekker!
Winmar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cape Town's a great place, and SA is a beautiful country. Hopefully I'll make it back over there next year....
eslandflteacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: South African Degrees in the Middle East Reply with quote

Greetings all,

Given an Arab/Middle Eastern propensity for (over)valuing/ranking British and North American university credentials, how do those that hire in the Gulf region in ESL and other academic areas value/rank South African awards, masters and doctors degrees? I have a friend who has a DEd from UPE and who is interested in applying in the Gulf?

Kenneth
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: South Africa Reply with quote

Southafrican wrote:

Ijust miss the culture, biltong, bobotie, snoek ens. SOOOO much! So let's not remember all the bad things, but remember some of the really wonderful things as well.

Hahahahaha! Now that was funny!
garfield007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: South Africans Reply with quote

I have been chatting in Dave's ESL chatroom now for more than two months and I have met quite a lot of people from all over the world there. The only problem is that I am always the only South African.
Why don't you guys join me there!!!

I would love to talk to you.

Best Wishes,
Garfield007 Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of S Afrıcans now ın Saudı
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Lots of S Afrıcans now ın Saudı

Are you still alive?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi is no more dangerous than South Africa. Think of Cape Town - the murder cpaital of Planet Terra !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: