Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Licensed Teacher looking to head to BBK around July/August

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Licensed Teacher looking to head to BBK around July/August Reply with quote

I am getting my US license to teach middle school atm and will finish my program around May or June.

I doubt I will be able to find a proper International School job so late in the game. So, I will probably have to do the ESL thing for 6-12 months in the mean time.

What would you guys advise in terms of where to look for work, how much to expect, etc if you were in my shoes. ie Whats the optimal game plan?

Thanks for the input.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

There are many licensed US teachers here in the LOS looking for work so you will face some stiff competition if you are looking for jobs teaching English etc. in international schools. Paywise don't expect much teaching ESL here...average pay is around Baht 30,000 - Baht 40,000 per month in Bkk and much less in the hinterlands of Isaan (for full time work). You can supplement your earnings with privates however be careful that immigration doesn't find this out. You will need a proper Work Permit to teach here...so before coming here don't forget to bring ALL your ORIGINAL degrees, transcripts, and your U.S state teaching license to the LOS. Also don't forget to get a Non-Immigrant "B" visa at a Thai mission (consulate or embassy) near where you are. You will also need an FBI background invstigation report and/or a local police check report. Nowadays you will also need an official medical report to teach here stating of course that you are fit to teach (HIV free) etc... In addition Thai labor authorities will want to see previous work references/letters of recommendation to support your application for a work permit here. All in all it is quite a challenging, interesting and FUN experience teaching Thais English in the LOS. Good luck!!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should apply to the four top tier International Schools in Thailand. They are:

NIST - New International School of Thailand
ISB - International School of Bangkok
Raumrudee
Pattana International School

There's probably a slim chance you'll get selected for one of them, however they're salary is quite high. If not one of those schools then there is other schools that call themselves International Schools and they pay a little more than the usual schools, the usual schools paying 30,000 Baht per month.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.isat.or.th/schools

work your way down the list with individualized cover letter, resume and scanned copies of your credentials.

Alternatively, look at places where licensed teachers look for work (and it isn't EFL job boards).

http://www.searchassociates.com (attend one of their job fairs).
http://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/
etc.

You ARE aware that MOST of the better schools, as a requirement of THEIR ACCREDITATION, need you to have 2 years of HOME COUNTRY experience before you get a job with them?

Failing all that, get a double entry tourist visa and come on over. You WILL find work (albeit at 35-50k thb/month).
June/July is late for local schools (school year starts in May).
October is the next best time to be looking.

You can pretty much ignore EFL Educator. Most of his post is just inaccurate or false in regards to your average EFL job in Thailand.

You might also want to check out Korea. http://www.epik.go.kr/ and the Korean job forums (separate registration required): http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/index.php .

MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suphanburi,

I pretty much know the gist of the International School Teaching scene. Been researching and getting my license over the last year. What I am not informed on is the ESL scene in Thailand and subsequently the middle area or grey area of where ESL and tier 3 international schools mix. If that makes any sense.

I am just trying to weigh my options. If I can make 1,000-1,2000 dollars a month (whether teaching ESL or in a less known International School) then Thailand would probably be my best option for a work life balance to hold me over this next year.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MedellinHeel wrote:
Suphanburi,

I pretty much know the gist of the International School Teaching scene. Been researching and getting my license over the last year. What I am not informed on is the ESL scene in Thailand and subsequently the middle area or grey area of where ESL and tier 3 international schools mix. If that makes any sense.

I am just trying to weigh my options. If I can make 1,000-1,2000 dollars a month (whether teaching ESL or in a less known International School) then Thailand would probably be my best option for a work life balance to hold me over this next year.

So start at the top of the list and work your way down:
http://www.isat.or.th/schools

Just down from that are private hires to private k-12 schools. Wages are usually in the 35-50k range for licensed teachers.

The next step below that is working for 30k baht (~$1000) at government schools. These are usually farmed out positions through "agencies". They are barely better than a Korean hagwon with the worst of both worlds being the norm.

The next tier are the language academies and starting salaries there range from 30-40k (depending on whether you can actually draw or keep your students).

For anything other than the ISAT list you just need to get on a plane and be here in late April or mid Oct. There are lots of positions for licensed teachers at salaries ranging from 35-60k.

Better salaries for math/science teachers; bottom end of the scale for EFL jobs (there are lots of EFL teachers who will work for 30k because they aren't qualified for anything else).

FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Nowadays you will also need an official medical report to teach here stating of course that you are fit to teach (HIV free) etc...

It was my understanding that they don't request or test for HIV. In fact, I thought they were prohibited from requiring that test...(?) Maybe someone else can clarify this...?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaTEFL wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:
Nowadays you will also need an official medical report to teach here stating of course that you are fit to teach (HIV free) etc...

It was my understanding that they don't request or test for HIV. In fact, I thought they were prohibited from requiring that test...(?) Maybe someone else can clarify this...?

For the last 5 years my mandatory medical check (for the work permit) at the local hospital consisted of a blood pressure test, check weight, listen to my heart/breathing and ask if I was well.

50 baht please (200 if you want the report in English).

I have heard (unconfirmed) reports that schools around the more infamous (tourist) red-light districts require a blood test for STDs (HIV?) as well.

MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

There are some good mid tier International school in Thailand that you may be able to get into. Unless you can teach high level sciences or maths; without any experience, it is a waste of time applying to the top schools as suggested. Follow SUPHANBURI's advice instead.

HIV check is not part of the work permit medical. I believe they check for (or are required to check for) 3rd stage syphilis, leprosy, tuberculosis and alcoholism.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not a requirement to have a criminal record check to obtain a work permit anymore, however some schools may have this as part of their own requirements. It cant hurt to get an updated check (couple copies) before you leave if possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: