Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Privates and part time jobs now illegal in China
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not all laws are enforced.

Until your caught.....

Quote:
Why do you say the good days are just now starting?

Those that choose to stay with in the confines of legal work will not have to compete with those who don't and with a reduction of available FT's, theoretically, wage should go up ......
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBillyNO wrote:
Quote:
Why do you say the good days are just now starting?

Those that choose to stay with in the confines of legal work will not have to compete with those who don't and with a reduction of available FT's, theoretically, wage should go up ......

…as well as the possibility of hiring standards improving thereby hopefully reducing the number of yahoos coming in and playing teacher.

Also, the issue of working illegally: why work on an L visa? If one is "qualified", one should be able to find a legitimate employer who can/will go through the proper channels and procure a Z-visa leading to a legal residence permit for the foreigner, thus eliminating the stress of possible deportation and heavy fines.

RWA1981 wrote:
They are really getting serious about Visa enforcement. My flatmate just recently got fined $900, detained and then deported with a 3 year reentry ban for teaching on an L visa. The good old days are gone from what I can tell.

I don't think the above is going to get a lot of (if any) sympathy from the folks on the boards here.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Last edited by fat_chris on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Worm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title should be "Illegally teaching part time jobs and privates is illegal"

There are ways to do it. Permission from visa issuing employer and gov't agency.

Sorry you had a rough time, but there's nothing new here.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are ways to do it. Permission from visa issuing employer and gov't agency.

If your working anywhere else than your work book states.. you would need another work book.... it is possible to have more than one but you would have to work for an agency that rents you out.. I think the max in Beijing is 6 or 7 work books...
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
Conclusion: don't go flashin' around your privates and letting everyone know about them.

Meet the new conclusion. Same as the old conclusion.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Last edited by fat_chris on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Big Worm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBillyNO wrote:
Quote:

If your working anywhere else than your work book states.. you would need another work book.... it is possible to have more than one but you would have to work for an agency that rents you out.. I think the max in Beijing is 6 or 7 work books...

OK, I actually don't know how to do it. That was my best guess.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in reality ... your way works also....but it is important to remember just cause you get away with it or someone isnt looking at the moment .. you can still get caught....
Omniscientfool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Strict PSB's and conflicting incentives Reply with quote

From here in a small city in Shanxi, the FAO boss was unhappy that I taught for a private school once, w/intention to continue (except that the student flaked). The local PSB seems to be pretty strict, and she had good reason to be unhappy—in the past, there was a 5000rmb fine and police lecture involved. She thinks private schools' competitors report on each other if any one of them gets an edge on each other by hiring an apparently illegal foreigner. Just had an official meeting w/ Foreign Experts Bureau, in which I asked why they don't flex more muscle on things like privates and summer camps, especially in an isolated sub-third-tier city where improving English education would be measurable with more of its scarce foreigners involved in more schools. The bureau boss just laughed it off w/ something about U.S. Support for Taiwan and said that while they agree they have an incentive to get local students more (legal or at least permissible) exposure to ft's, “much has already changed in China, but the law is lagging behind...and the law is the law, which the PSB is tasked with enforcing” (approx. translation).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
RWA1981 wrote:
They are really getting serious about Visa enforcement. My flatmate just recently got fined $900, detained and then deported with a 3 year reentry ban for teaching on an L visa. The good old days are gone from what I can tell.

Sounds like the good days are just starting from where I'm sitting.

He he
On the money as usual Shroob!
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...Apparently the public high school did not have a permit to hire a foreign teacher..."

In one city where I worked, the FAO of my school was able to place FTs in private schools that were not authorized to hire FTs. She was a senior party official and didn't seem concerned that anyone would stop her from doing anything.

But then, that was ten years ago.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone was upset with you. Has to do with money most likely.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:

Oh, I miss you GW and your amazingly fitting avatar Very Happy
fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:

Oh, I miss you GW and your amazingly fitting avatar Very Happy

Seconded!

As usual, GW is "on the money" and to the point.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
CHINOISE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared my story with some of the Chinese teachers in my office. They all knew of someone who had been questioned or deported from this country for teaching outside the place on their WP.

But when I mention it to NETs, they just say, "I'm gonna keep teaching part time 'cause I don't think I'm doing anything wrong." Best of luck to them...

Apparently my friend's friend interviewed at the same school I got in trouble for volunteering at only a few days after I was questioned. Ironically he was not offered the job because of something he said during his interview.
weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange setup. SK would deport you and maybe fine you if you are caught with proof. They wouldn't kick you out or non renew you based on some hearsay or possibly jail you. What a stupid place China is becoming then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: