Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer of Z visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Transfer of Z visa Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a z visa valid til June from my last job. When interviewing with different training centers, I'm getting conflicting reports. One center says I have to return to my home country to renew the visa, while another center claims they can process the visa without me leaving. The visa renewal will take place in the same city as my current visa is valid for. Since the visa expires in June, when would they actually apply for the visa and how long does it take? Some of the centers say I can work off the current visa, which I think is a bit shady. Can someone shed some light on the subject?

Cheers,
Aaron
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your visa doesn't allow you to remain here, the Resident Permit does. If you get a new RP before the old one expires, you're okay.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the way it (usually -- YKMMV) works:

get support documents sent to your hometown.
get z-visa at embassy in your hometown.
come to china with 1-entry z-visa, 0 days validity.
(you have 30 days to apply for residence permit.)

get police registration and healthy certificate and expert cert.
apply for residence permit.
get residence permit.....z-visa is cancelled.

enjoy your stay in china.
come and go as you please, RP is your entry/exit permit.

sign contract renewal.........get new RP before current RP expires.
new visa NOT needed.

sign contract at another school........get release/recommendation letters.
get new RP before current RP expires. new visa NOT needed.

don't sign contract, RP expires.
leave china before expiration, or get tourist visa from local office.
find new job, get new z-visa from your hometown.
don't count on in-china/hongkong conversion!

be careful with terminology....a visa is not an RP. often confused.
as to those centers........they are correct. you can work off the old visa
meaning you don't need to get a new work visa.....unless the RP expires.

if they say you can work at their school on the RP (if longer than the
original contract) from another school, they are incorrect. your RP is
tied to your employer.
RWA1981

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought everyone just goes to Hong Kong to handle visa issues like this no?
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update on the residence permit renewal:

Just to clarify things, I used to work in an international hotel in Hangzhou, (been hanging out on extended holiday in same city for the past 7 months). My residence permit would be renewed by a training center for a teaching position. I have submitted all documents requested of me, but the FOA told me some documents were rejected and they also wanted more documents. I've copied & pasted the statements from the email below. See if any of this makes sense to any of you teflers.

I got feedback from the Shanghai office. According to the visa office's requirements, we need to submit certain documents as required:

1. Please find in attach for the sample of Alien Employment License. Visa officer said, if you have a working Z visa, your previous employer should have this license otherwise you can't get your old Z visa application approved. So could you please ask your hotel to check on this license;if you can find it, make a scanned copy of it!

2. About the red stamp on your Release Letter. The visa office said that the red stamp are needed on both your release letter and reference letter. What's more, the stamp should not be from HR department. You should get an official red stamp from the hotel/company/corporate. For example, it should not be "Four Points Hotel-HR Department", it should be "Four Points Hotel-Sheraton Group".

I've never even seen the Alien Employment License, or had it on my person. I also don't know where I can get such stamp, since HR dept is the one who deals with visas and work permits.

All this rambling makes no sense....off to a cold beer Smile

Cheers,

Aaron
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AWP is much like the FEC. Serves the same purpose, usually in non educational settings.
teenoso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the new employer is asking for three things, all of which you get from the hotel :
AWP
release letter with red stamp
reference letter with red stamp.

If the AWP is similar to the FEC , then it is not surprising you have never seen it . My school keeps the FEC and I have never seen mine.
The release letter says something like, you have completed the contract and are free to work elsewhere.
The reference letter is often in standard form with boxes to complete (you were a very good/good/average employee etc) , but could be a letter, I suppose.
mw182006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have to do another health exam OP? I'm planning to change to another uni in the same province and they're basically asking for docs all over again. I have copies of the vital stuff (including the old exam) but I thought that a RP renewal was as simple as providing the release/recommendation letters since everything else is on file.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm switching schools (and provinces) and my RP expires August 31. The problem is that my daughter wants to travel with me through SE Asia for 2 and 1/2 weeks from the beginning of August.

If I hand in my paperwork on time (a month before) can't I keep my passport for a couple of weeks more? I was in a similar situation in February and immigration told me that it's OK, I have until the day before expiry to hand in the passport itself. They just wanted all the papers scanned into the big computer a month before.

Mileage may vary.
teenoso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:

If I hand in my paperwork on time (a month before) can't I keep my passport for a couple of weeks more? I was in a similar situation in February and immigration told me that it's OK, I have until the day before expiry to hand in the passport itself. They just wanted all the papers scanned into the big computer a month before.

Immigration may be different from what your new provincial Public Security Bureau, and Foreign Experts Bureau want - you should ask your future FAO....maybe you could do the whole processing thing in June/July....
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenoso wrote:

Immigration may be different from what your new provincial Public Security Bureau, and Foreign Experts Bureau want - you should ask your future FAO....maybe you could do the whole processing thing in June/July....

The position is 90 but not 100% yet, but the FAO said as long as we do the papers in July and I hand in my passport by Aug. 20 everything is fine. So I think in most places it's the paperwork that's the most important thing for the 30 day in advance requirement. Like you say, other places may differ.

Also, I'm going from Guangdong to Yunnan and I've already been told I'll need a medical.
KnockoutNed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:

sign contract at another school........get release/recommendation letters.
get new RP before current RP expires. new visa NOT needed.

How long does this process usually take? I want to sign with another school in the same city. So does the visa or the RP need to be transferred? or both?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: