Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easiest ESL Students To Teach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stinkytofu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Easiest ESL Students To Teach? Reply with quote

I haven't taught ESL students from many different countries. However, I do prefer teaching Russian students, they all seem really cool. I was just wondering what country has the easiest students to teach in your opinion?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how you define "easiest" because being cool doesn't equate to being smart or hardworking.
JN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be difficult to say who are the easiest students to teach. There are so many different personalities and way people learn and the way teachers teach, that that is a difficult question for me. I've taught mostly Chinese, Mexican, German and Russian, but there were many different ages and levels. I enjoyed most all of them for different reasons. As to what would be easy: well, as Nomad Soul put it, it depends on your definition.
stinkytofu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN wrote:
I think it'd be difficult to say who are the easiest students to teach. There are so many different personalities and way people learn and the way teachers teach, that that is a difficult question for me. I've taught mostly Chinese, Mexican, German and Russian, but there were many different ages and levels. I enjoyed most all of them for different reasons. As to what would be easy: well, as Nomad Soul put it, it depends on your definition.

I think my definition of easy students to teach is anyone that actually likes coming to class and doesn't mouth off to me. I had some bad experiences teaching adults in China and now I'm teaching adult Russians the difference is night and day.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moroccans could be the best although sometimes they talk too much, and you might have to interrupt to teach grammar or something else.
Moroccans learn Spanish and/or French so English is not that challenging for them.

Russians are good since they are serious.
Poles are generally fine but some can be shy.

Japanese by contrast, can be anti-social or friendly. It depends.
Some Japanese would rather go to the dentist than speak English.

Chinese can be good or awful.
With the Chinese if they have the little emperor syndrome, then it is a slog.
With the one child policy, some kids have been spoiled.

Last edited by mitsui on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
JN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I've been lucky, as I haven't had any students mouth off to me. I have had students that stopped coming to class (adults-they had a choice) and a few that did not seem very motivated.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian students are cool, but not so sure about being the easiest. They demand real lessons, for the most part. No learning progress, no contract renewal. Nothing wrong with being serious about learning. Nothing at all. The pursuit of excellence for its own sake - bring it on!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love love love my Italian students. With everyone seemingly hot-footing it out of Italy, a decent level of English is seen as a passport to a better future. But even before all this kicked off, Italians are generally great students - serious about progressing, eager to communicate, not too scared about making mistakes, curious and articulate.
stinkytofu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Russian students are cool, but not so sure about being the easiest. They demand real lessons, for the most part. No learning progress, no contract renewal. Nothing wrong with being serious about learning. Nothing at all. The pursuit of excellence for its own sake - bring it on!

Your right. One of my Russian students just fired me today. I gave her a listening exercise that was too difficult for her and she got pissed off and canned me. She's low intermediate and the listening exercise was for beginner students, she couldn't understand a word of it.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My right? As a life long Vozhd?
John Kalani

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ones can speak English already
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
They demand real lessons, for the most part. No learning progress, no contract renewal. Nothing wrong with being serious about learning. Nothing at all. The pursuit of excellence for its own sake - bring it on!

This. I like this.

Easiest students to teach? My own.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: