Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEIRA LANGUAGE SCHOOL DUBAI Need Feedback ASAP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onboardagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: DEIRA LANGUAGE SCHOOL DUBAI Need Feedback ASAP! Reply with quote

Just received my first teaching contract from what seems to be a legit school in Dubai. However, the contract seems sketchy. Can anyone please tell me of any problems teaching at this school. The monthly pay seems awfully high, not that I am complaining about high pay, but I just want to make sure that I am not getting myself into anything bad here.
I know that it is late in the school year to be starting, but the conversation and plan was suppose to be from now till the end of the school year to see if the school and I are both a fit for each other. Yet the contract is written for one year? Does this mean the school will put me to good use at another facility during the school break?
Since this is my first teaching position in nearly 6 years--family issues, how do I go about writing this Ministry of Labor person for my Visa/work permit? What are the steps? This is what was in the letter from the principal---Please kindly contact Mr. Ferhat Kamuran [Comptroller] at UNITED ARAB EMIRATES MINISTRY OF LABOR for your visa/work permit through Email:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Evelyn
FunGus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer too good to be true? It is.

Scam. They will try to get money out of you at some point.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's scammy. This so-called language school doesn't even have a web presence. Anyway, do an Internet search on ferhat kamuran for info on "him."
onboardagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Deira Language School and Dubai British School Reply with quote

Here are 2 websites that clearly show Mr. Mark Ford the Principal of the school and his credentials. He is the one that I have been corresponding with.

http://www.dubaiexpat.com/schools/british/british-a-i/dubai-british-school/

http://www.dubaibritishschool.ae/home/principal-message

The school is owned by Taaleem, if anyone knows anything about them would be helpful too.

Evelyn
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Deira Language School and Dubai British School Reply with quote

onboardagain wrote:
Here are 2 websites that clearly show Mr. Mark Ford the Principal of the school and his credentials. He is the one that I have been corresponding with.

http://www.dubaiexpat.com/schools/british/british-a-i/dubai-british-school/

http://www.dubaibritishschool.ae/home/principal-message

However, on that same site at http://www.dubaibritishschool.ae/home/careers is the following:
    INTERNET FRAUD

It has come to our attention that a number of colleagues around the world have received bogus “contracts” offering positions at our school. We are aware of a current fraud in which teachers are being targeted, offered contracts and then asked to send large sums of money to process visas and work permits. If in doubt, please contact the school directly for confirmation about advertised posts: officemanager@...
Gulezar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Scam on three counts Reply with quote

Quote:
For your traveling visa/work permit, you are advised to contact the below listed Email address directly. This is the office that is responsible for final approval and issuance of your visa/work permit to enable us legalize your employment with us at labour office and book your free 2ways air ticket to Dubai Intl Airport to avoid violation of any immigration exit and entry laws..

Attn: Mr. Ferhat Kamuran [Comptroller]
UNITED ARAB EMIRATE MINISTRY OF LABOUR
Block 2, Room 8 Dubai International Airport, U.A.E.
Email: [email protected]

Does Mr. Ford's email address end with @dubaibritishschool.ae?

Why would a UAE government official use a tk address?

There are some grammar errors and I have never heard of any company requiring the employee to finalize the visa. That is the responsibility of the employer, usually.
Pikgitina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.tk = Tokelau. Shocked

Scam!!!
onboardagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar,

Where did you get that quote from? None of that quote was any part of my emails, especially that email address. That was never in my emails.........

Yes I have an overwhelming feeling that it is probably a scam of some sort. That is why I was on this forum for help.

I have emailed a lady that is the manager of the school for verification after I seen their fraud notice at the end of their careers page.

Oh well que sera sera.............
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is. They piggy-back on legitimate websites and it sounds like they are using a real name, but that is no guarantee

This isn't the first round of SCAMS using this school name. As soon as they tell you that YOU have to arrange the visa, it is a scam. In the Gulf, the employer must arrange all visas. And you never never never send money to anyone for any job. And you would NEVER contact the Ministry to get a visa.

As soon as you see .tk - it is a scam. Not maybe it is, it definitely is.

Check out the Scams sticky thread at the top of the UAE page here. There have been dozens of these in the last few years.

Personally I wouldn't use email to confirm, I would call the school.

VS
onboardagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

I did call the school directly but since the time difference no one is there.

I appreciate every ones input, but the return address is an outlook.com email address, not .tk

The number that I called was a legitimate number to the school with a recording of their hours and phone extensions to various people. However, the phone number with the email rang, but then went to a busy signal.
Yes the clerical errors are always a dead give-a-way and with each correspondence, certain little things were different and changing.

I did not know that all the schools in UAE or middle east were responsible for obtaining the visa for the employee. I did learn something today---So THANK YOU for that valuable information.

I really need to find a job this month but hard when you have not did any teaching since 2008. Any suggestions?

We all learn the hard way sometimes...........
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any suggestions?

Asia.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Spiral. Asia is a good option for someone who's experienced but hasn't been in a classroom for some time.
onboardagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all for the information, its much appreciated.

Evelyn
ang6

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Mr Ferhat Kamuran Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago, I applied for a couple of jobs in Saudi Arabia. Then I received an email from DAAP Language School with a contract attached. There were spelling and grammatical errors in the email, which made it look legit. I hadn't had an interview or any contact with them previously.

Anyway, I opened the email and the school name on the contract was different DAHAMZA Language School. The address 75 Naif Road, Dubai. I did an internet search and there is no record for either school. I then did a internet search for the supposed Mr Ferhat Kamuran at UNITED ARAB EMIRATES IMMIGRATION OFFICE, who the email had said I needed to contact to organise the work permit. This is when I found lots of posts saying this is a scam.

Very irritating that a recruiter has passed on my contact details to this A*** hole.

Hopefully this will be a warning to others. I hope that your story ended well Evelyn. Asia would be a good option for you Very Happy
onboardagain

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my story is ending well, and Thank you very much for your story. I will be leaving for China in a few days. I was offered a placement with Expat Teaching in Saudi as soon as I have recent teaching experience. So that is my goal. I hope you find suitable employment in KSA. I still don't understand what attestation is and what the steps are with that, that is required in most all GCC Countries. Do you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: