Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I find an English-teaching job WITHOUT experience?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaixinsi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Where can I find an English-teaching job WITHOUT experience? Reply with quote

Hello! My name is Kelsey and I have a Masters in TESOL. I also have an undergrad degree in Science/English education and Spanish. I have prior study abroad experience in China. My heart is in China and I would love to teach there.

I have been contacted by Wall Street English and they were interested in hiring me. But they told me I needed "two years of teaching experience." As hiring is frozen in the US and I have found it IMPOSSIBLE to secure full-time teaching employment, what can I do?

I have over 600 hours of tutoring, volunteer, and student teaching experience, which I may try to waive. EF was interested in me and they said if I can get a letter signed saying that I have the equivalent of two years teaching experience, they would accept it.

Any help here? Does anyone know how the heck to get around that "two years of teaching experience" requirement?

I have heard of people getting English jobs in China with NO experience. What the heck did they do?????!!!!

Last edited by Kaixinsi on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if srs.

Apply apply apply.
Kaixinsi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, serious. Well, technically, I am almost done with my M.Ed in TESOL. I was hoping it would count for something in China, but I haven't been able to find ANY full-time teaching experience (hiring is FROZEN where I live, no one is hiring teachers) to take care of that requirement.

Still have no idea how the heck people got around that "two years experience" requirement...

I am also fearful of being scammed.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an English-teaching job WITHOUT experie Reply with quote

Kaixinsi wrote:
I have over 600 hours of tutoring, volunteer, and student teaching experience....

rewrite your resume to emphasize your teaching and tutoring. just add
a sentence in the text under the job heading:

assistant manager, mcdonald's

blah, blah, blah.....trained new employees....blah, blah, lovin' it, blah, blah.

and now that entire block of employment can be considered "teaching
experience"!

also....look elsewhere. some provinces don't require any experience.
some require 2 years of any employment experience.
only a few provinces (and certain schools) require two years of
teachin' experience.
Kaixinsi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info! I am worried about being scammed but I will continue to look for teaching jobs in China.

Where is the best place to look for (reputable) jobs? What places in China are hiring most? Wall Street English turned me down, as I mentioned earlier.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have over 600 hours of tutoring, volunteer, and student teaching experience

Whaddya mean, no experience? THIS IS EXPERIENCE! I'm not saying you should lie, but, SPIN, man, SPIN! Put this on your resume as teaching experience, 'cause that's what it is! Did it happen in more than one calendar year? Yes? Good! That's two years right there!

Quote:
which I may try to waive

I'm not sure what this means; why waive (?) it? Use it to your advantage. I get the impression you told Wall Street that you had no teaching experience and you downplayed all the tutoring, volunteer, student teaching. Once again, THIS IS EXPERIENCE! I've never heard of any place requiring written proof of experience (or even checking references, for that matter).
doogsville

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaixinsi wrote:
Thank you for the info! I am worried about being scammed but I will continue to look for teaching jobs in China.

Where is the best place to look for (reputable) jobs? What places in China are hiring most? Wall Street English turned me down, as I mentioned earlier.

Who isn't worried about being scammed? It may happen, it may not. Doing your research can help, but it's always going to be a possibility. You're going to have to dive in at some point and just start swimming.

There are many reputable jobs out there, but they're not concentrated in any one place. Again, do some research. I don't think any one place is hiring 'most', there are jobs all over China. A much better idea, in my opinion, would be to work out what part of China you are most interested in? What climate suits you better? How do you feel about air quality and pollution? What size of city would you be more comfortable living in? Do you think you'll need a lot of 'home' comforts. These are all questions you should be asking yourself, and then finding places that fit the bill. Then you can start looking for jobs in those places. You can also find expat sites where you can ask for information on specific employers.

Being turned down by Wall Street may be a blessing in disguise. They are just one of many thousands of employers in China. Your 600 of hours of teaching experience is selling point. Use it, rewrite your CV and start looking for jobs.
Dan123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an English-teaching job WITHOUT experie Reply with quote

Kaixinsi wrote:
EF was interested in me and they said if I can get a letter signed saying that I have the equivalent of two years teaching experience, they would accept it.

I started working for EF just last month, and I had no teaching experience at all, nor did I claim to have any when I applied for the job.

I did spend a LOT of time looking for a school that could actually get me a Z visa though, but that was mainly because I'm only 21, which is now a big issue in lots of provinces/cities since September (?) of last year. At your age (you must be a year older than me at the very least since you have a masters), you should have a lot more options open to you than I had.

Maybe, if you're looking at tier 1 cities, you should start looking at tier 2/3 cities. Rules, and how strictly they're applied, vary a lot from province to province and from city to city in China.

Also, I think a good tip for getting a reputable job is to ask them right at the very start about getting a Z visa. If they ask you to come over on any other visa or claim they can get you a Z visa/residence permit in China, they're almost certainly talking rubbish. A school that can actually secure you a Z visa/residence permit SHOULD send the documents that you need for a Z visa to your home in the states by post. Of course, just getting a Z visa sorted out doesn't mean you're in the clear, but it's a good way of weeding out a lot of the bad ones right from the start.
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you obviously are doing 1 or a combination of the below

1) Only looking for a certain type of job
2) Only looking for a job in x location
3) Not exhausting every search option
4) Coming off in some ill light (appearance, personality, etc)
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...I have over 600 hours of tutoring, volunteer, and student teaching experience..."

Bingo. There's your experience. Get one or two professors to write letters of recommendation on university letterhead, and ask them to mention your tireless energy as a tutor and student teacher.

If you were a TA and a GA in college, that's well over two years' experience. That 600 hours tutoring equals OVER one year of class room experience. It's more difficult.

Get moving on the request for letters of recommendation. Most profs like to write them for good students, though they seem to put them off for as long as possible. You can probably write two separate "guidelines" and send them to your profs to help them out. BE SURE to get the letters of rec on university letterhead, and make sure that no addressee appears on the letter so you can copy it and use it over and over again.
SledgeCleaver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you seriously have an MA in TESOL, then you should have student-taught. I mean, that's what it takes to get a license to teach ESL in the United States at public schools, which is certainly what an MA TESOL should qualify you to do.

Student-teaching is experience. Big-time. You should have been working full-time at a professional school, with a trained cooperating teacher, a trained principal, someone from the university observing you occasionally, etc. You can paint this as WAY better than someone who did an online TEFL and then happened to survive for two years at some school somewhere. If you have been trained as an educational professional, then make that impression (ie. play up your education and training) and you will find a job eventually. If you're qualified to teach in a U.S. public school, then it's hard to believe that any but the most picky Chinese language school would find you sheerly inadequate.

Your applying does seem a bit haphazard. Read up more about application and job search techniques, make sure your resume/CV is really professional (some job centers in U.S. cities will offer free seminars on this), learn how to write a "cover letter" (ie. basically the body of your email when you send your resume). Most of all, PLAY YOURSELF UP. Be positive about your experience and skill. Make shit up if you have to. Claim you do America Reads and read books to Mexican children twice a week. Claim you do Big Brother Big Sister and volunteer at school events. Then you talk about how you're excellent at working with children from many different cultures.

You speak Spanish? Did you study abroad? Even if not, claim you spent a summer teaching at a summer camp in Costa Rica or something. Or teaching your host family's children in English classes twice a week.

etc. etc. ...

Some schools are also just weird. I have well more than two years of teaching experience, but Wall Street English in Shanghai didn't want to hire me at first. They emailed me back several months later, asking me to take a job. In other words, don't take rejection too seriously. Maybe the hiring manager just didn't like you that day. Maybe they're flush. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Big Worm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have experience. But anyway...

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=106440
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... that's what it takes to get a license to teach ESL in the United States at public schools..."

That and passing the Praxis test.
thechangling

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those Quals why not go apply to Saudi and get some decent dosh! And as others have said, pad out the C.V first!
RWA1981

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get work in anywhere in China assuming you not missing any limbs, are not black nor muslim, don't weigh over 300 lbs and are not a wanted pedophile. But from you say you could get a much better paying job in Korea, Singapore, or 38 other countries that pay a lot better than China. See here and below http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2568362
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: