Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding steady hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about a thread full of assumptions!

1)BROTHELS are NOT illegal in Mexico.

2)People get deported from Mexico--I've personally met 4.

3)Not all posters on Dave's Mexico forum are NOT Mexican.
demishout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still doing the freelancing jobs and at the same time searching for a position at private schools/colegios. The trouble I'm having is getting in touch with these schools. I would really love to work with the security that these private institutions have to offer, so if anyone can just point me in the right direction I would consider it a tremendous act of kindness. I know I come off as sounding helpless, but I'm really not. On the contrary, I'm very much independent and self-sufficient (which could explain why I'm not good at coming to others for help). Having had almost no understanding of Spanish and having not known a soul living in Mexico City when I first arrived last month, I have since managed to find a wonderfully located flat, an amazing roommate, and two or three freelancing positions. I've also closely familiarized myself with the metro, places of entertainment, and many tourist attractions. I feel very much at home in the city; the only problem is getting hired to a secure position immediately. All the interviews I have had were performed with great ease and confidence. There were positions I turned down (Berlitz, Interlingua) last month, simply because I didn't have time for their training programs and expectations to work Saturdays. Others for which I just didn't want to give up the freelancing positions. Now, however, I wish I had stuck with the language schools. These private lesson jobs for a single student at a time are just too unreliable; oftentimes, the students will cancel or show up 20 minutes late to a one hour class.

Anyway, I love this city and I love teaching English to anyone of any age group or social class. Honestly. And I so very much desire to stay here, working legally of course; however, I just feel that there's this inexplicable barrier between private schools, colegios, and even public universities and myself. Pergaps it's all in my head. Still, I need to know just how to get through the doors, so to speak. Who's hiring?

And would love to find private students, but asking my flatmates and some friends has yet to yield me anything. How do I go about advertising myself (outside of craigslist).

Bear with me, please. I'm still young and inexperienced when it comes to formal business procedures. Teaching the material and accommodating to the students' needs are the easy bits; selling myself to academic institutes, on the other hand, just seems impossible.

One last thing: anyone know why so many language schools are listed on googlemaps, but are nowhere to be found in physical dimensions? :/

Last edited by demishout on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
demishout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to teach stuck up private school kids btw. They generally push the teacher to prove themselves more than any other group. And, trust me, after four months since lecturing my last class I could really use a challenge right now. Smile
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about Craig's List for finding private students in Mexico. It's not anywhere near as important in Mexico as it is in the States. Try these websites instead, all of which allow you to place ads for free:

https://www2.segundamano.mx/ai/form/0?ca=11_s

http://post.vivanuncios.com.mx/

http://www.adoos.com.mx/posting/

Good luck!
demishout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch! I'll try them out.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demishout wrote:
Thanks a bunch! I'll try them out.

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a couple things that are confusing to me... If you work for Berlitz they don't help you get a work visa? I thought they would help you.

Secondly, the timing is a little off on getting hired this time of year. But, some schools do hire all year round. And I don't know exactly where your located at. But, I don't understand why its difficult to find schools in your area. Are they not listed on the internet? Google will translate most of the web sites into English automatically for you to apply. Most schools will be interested in hiring you if you are in Mexico already. But, in my experience the work visa will be an issue and you will have to take care of this.

Talk about working in private schools for the very rich was discussed... New teachers should do a little research on daves to research some of the problems connected with that type of position. Its not all fun and games. If some teachers don't give the rich kids what they feel they should get teachers can loose their jobs. I think reading some of the posts in the mexican forums will make some of these issues much more clear.

And not to ask a stupid question. But, if Berlitz is offering more hours for OP on saturday and he needs the hours - why is he turning the hours down?
demishout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i want normal working hours, 25-40 during the weekdays and nothing on saturdays. at the moment, i'm not working with berlitz; i turned them down because of their two-week program and low pay (only about seven american dollars an hour). i think i could do better tbh. i got an interview with one of the colegios later today actually. will keep searching for my own private students.
demishout

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=72032

I have an interview with Quick Learning the Monday after the Holy Week; however, based on the personal experiences of the posters in the above thread, I'm not sure if I should go. Obviously, their viewpoints are based on what Quick Learning was like five or more years ago, so perhaps things have changed for the better. When I went in there to schedule an interview, I didn't notice any red flags. If anyone can shed some light on the state of things there now, that would be great. Even linking me to a more recent thread would be helpful.

Thanks Smile
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demishout wrote:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=72032

I have an interview with Quick Learning the Monday after the Holy Week; however, based on the personal experiences of the posters in the above thread, I'm not sure if I should go. Obviously, their viewpoints are based on what Quick Learning was like five or more years ago, so perhaps things have changed for the better. When I went in there to schedule an interview, I didn't notice any red flags. If anyone can shed some light on the state of things there now, that would be great. Even linking me to a more recent thread would be helpful.

Thanks Smile

Let us know if Quick Learning will offer to help you get a work visa or if they'll be paying you under the table, so to speak.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:

Let us know if Quick Learning will offer to help you get a work visa or if they'll be paying you under the table, so to speak.

Well, don't know about a recent thread, but as little as a year ago they still required teachers to attend some kind of charismatic "christian" prayer service before beginning the work day.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:

Well, don't know about a recent thread, but as little as a year ago they still required teachers to attend some kind of charismatic "christian" prayer service before beginning the work day.

Oh, the horror!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:

Oh, the horror!

Well, in the grand scheme of things it is not the worst thing I have heard of. But being forced to go to a service that might not be of your belief system. Actually illegal in Mexico, even Catholic schools I worked at - schools that required that you be Catholic - didn't require that.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering what the plan will end up being for OP. I know there are people who work and live in Mexico without proper papers. But, I wonder if OP will continue to work at schools and tutor individuals who pay under the table? And for how long? Is there ever a plan to get the right type of visa? I know many people who cross over the boarder to take care of their working visa issues. No one is ever excited about it but they do it anyway. I am mainly curious as to what the long term plan is.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
I am wondering what the plan will end up being for OP. I know there are people who work and live in Mexico without proper papers. But, I wonder if OP will continue to work at schools and tutor individuals who pay under the table? And for how long? Is there ever a plan to get the right type of visa? I know many people who cross over the boarder to take care of their working visa issues. No one is ever excited about it but they do it anyway. I am mainly curious as to what the long term plan is.

If there IS a long term plan the only logical answer is to get proper papers. Without them you can't get any of the benefits you would get in a normal job, would have to pay cash for doctor visits and hospitalization instead of going to IMSS, can't get a mortgage, can't get a bank account, loads of things that people take for granted as part of making a life somewhere will be impossible. For a short term stay, even a couple of years, it is probably doable, though there are still risks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: