Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ESL For Losers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Is ESL For Losers? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to write such a seemingly off-topic post; but, I just wanted to open up some debate for what I deem to be an important question.

Feel free to tell me if I need to move it.

"Does the ESL field have a disproportionate amount of losers in it?"

1. When I've been in Korea, Turkey, Saudi, and now Libya, I can feel that way.

2. What are some pro's of being in this job?

(I'm guessing the multi-cultural experience and organizational skills are most important).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losers? Seriously? How are you defining that label?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I calculate if I'd been say a banker instead, I wouldn't have all these squillions in lost earnings to make up.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL probably is, but EFL is where it's all at!
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Win or lose? Reply with quote

Being easy to get into, TEFL tends to attract people who can't hold down a job back home, such as alcoholics and people with personality disorders. I've met both types. It also seems to attract religious fanatics and those who "bat for the other side", if you get my drift. Whether that makes them 'losers' is a moot point. Personally I don't regret choosing this career.

The benefits of the job include travelling and living abroad, and, in some countries, tax-free salaries. The banter on Dave's is another plus!
mzuri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back, I was at a meeting with about five colleagues in a different profession. At a certain point, I looked at each person at the table, and thought, "gee, every single one of 'em is a little peculiar."

And then I thought, "... oh wait .... sooooo .... does that mean I'm .... ?"

Ouch.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not rich but I make a decent amount. I work four days a week and have twenty paid weeks of vacation plus another week or two of holidays. This allows me to have the best of both worlds. I work yet have lots of time to spend with my daughter. As a single moms that's priceless.

I'm also able to take an international vacation once a year back home. I'd travel but it's a bit too much with the age my daughters at now.

She's also able to learn languages. She's fluent in Korean. I'd go as far as to say it's become her native tongue thanks to very affordable and fantastic day are. She also speaks five others.

I live in a very safe area. I've left my door unlocked and never had issues. A friend of mine never ever locks hers

For now it's ideal. In the future when middle school rolls around well see. I can tell you all my friends back home are jealous. I might not make as much as them but I'm certainty saving a lot more.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Russia! Be a winner!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a winner, not a whiner!

And then…in our field...some are winers too!

I am lovin' me some TEFL and don't consider it to be a loser profession at all. Getting advanced qualifications, doing more professional development, and continuing to secure "bigger and better" positions are the ways to avoid loserdom in TESOL.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
jaffa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get weirdos, alcoholics, etc in every profession. Why don't most soldiers stay in the army for life? Why do most of them quit and become truck/bus drivers?

A friend of mine, a highly paid accountant for 15 years, told me that he went to a meeting recently, looked round at the other people and thought 'I'm in the wrong job'.

At an EFL job interview in London a few years ago I was the only one of about 15 with any teaching experience and the rest were all in what are termed 'real' jobs yet looking to get the hell out of the rat race.

Last month I reported on a 3 day conference in Dubai (I've got a sideline in journalism and while it pays pretty well, it doesn't pay consistently) and when it was over I thought 'wow, corporate man, kissing the company ass for 40 years - you can keep it'.

Sure, we all moan (ain't that what dave's is for?) but, as others have said, the holidays are brilliant, the students can be great and there aren't really that many jobs where you can immerse yourself in a culture overseas. Plus, if you have your wits about you, after a few years you can wangle a position that suits and rewards you very well financially.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Rushin' to get to Russia? Reply with quote

All the Russian winners seem to be domiciled in the Cote d'Azur, whereas the winos are staying put.
Landon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not call them losers, but most do tend to march to their own drummer. I have yet to actually teach EFL but I have been interested in doing it for a decade. I have been in the rat race, worked my butt off, and have done fairly well for myself. Although things are still going pretty well, I am ready to make the move into the more laid back and unconventional lifestyle of a EFL teacher abroad. And I know I will be taking a big step down and giving up a lot, because it is not a moneymaker. I don't think Im a loser =), but I am aware I have a different mentality than most and I do not seem to be driven by the same things as my corporate professional peers. That being said, it is apparent that many people do look at EFL teachers as being odd or that they cannot keep a job locally, or that they are attempting to escape reality. That is why it is not respected on your resume when you return to the western world. Im sure many think the same about me; They might not be wrong.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the entry level you attract all kinds:
- gap year grads
- mid-life transitioners
- retirees looking to live on their meager savings/pension plans
- losers from all walks of life who don't have the stability to stay employed at home.
- etc.

but once you rise above that "entry level" it becomes not much different than any other professional occupation.
- graduate degrees / qualifications
- research professionals
- university lecturers
- mainstream teachers
- etc.

Can anyone subsist (long term) at the bottom or lower rungs of the ladder = yes, there are those who have done it for years.

Can you move up = yes, if you want to but you need to work at it.
Like anything else in life; effort has its rewards.

fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
At the entry level you attract all kinds:
- gap year grads
- mid-life transitioners
- retirees looking to live on their meager savings/pension plans
- losers from all walks of life who don't have the stability to stay employed at home.
- etc.

but once you rise above that "entry level" it becomes not much different than any other professional occupation.
- graduate degrees / qualifications
- research professionals
- university lecturers
- mainstream teachers
- etc.

Can anyone subsist (long term) at the bottom or lower rungs of the ladder = yes, there are those who have done it for years.

Can you move up = yes, if you want to but you need to work at it.
Like anything else in life; effort has its rewards.

This.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the Party! Advance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: