Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell School still owes me money!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NilSatis82

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Never heard of Loch Fyne but looking at the website and the menu, it looks like there's a large amount of exaggeration going on on both sides. Who'd have thunk it? On the Polish board, of all places?

dragonpiwo wrote:
Incidentally, we ate at Loch Fyne on day 1 of our UK trip. You won't find food like that or a similar setting/service in Poland anywhere

Really? How would you know? Have you been to every single high-end restaurant in Poland?

delphian-domine wrote:
it's really not a classy joint at all, but rather the kind of place that attracts scruffy students like myself

How many restaurants where the average price for a main course is £15ish have'scruffy students' as their target market?

Sounds like you're both making wildly exaggerated claims in an attempt to get one over each other. Nothing much new then.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It's a fine restaurant. Delph just constantly posts about places of which he knows nothing. Googling a place is no substitute for actually going there. Whether it's trains I take or hotels I actually stay in or restaurants I try, he's so way off the mark it's risible.

Like a man who has seen the world through the bottom of his pint.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cheap restaurant, you mean. A good restaurant certainly wouldn't have to rely on freebies to get people to sign up to a marketing list.

In my experience of Loch Fyne, it's merely masquerading as an expensive restaurant. The decor and so on - it all betrays the fact that it's a chain operation.

As for it attracting scruffy students - when I went, it was about 10 quid for a main course. A 2 for 1 offer made it very appealling to my scruffy 20 year old self, and it was filled with the usual South East yuppies. Given that a pint at the time in my local cost nearly 3 quid - a tenner for two meals was a bargain.

I'm more surprised that dragonpiwo is advocating a cheap guest house in the middle of nowhere. Wonder why?
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you two certainly made me interested in this restaurant that I'd never heard of before. Looked on Trip Advisor - big mix of reviews from excellent to food poisoning!!

Most did say it was quite expensive although there is a cheaper set menu, 25% gift cards and kids go free offers.

Does it really matter? I'm going to Krakow in a couple of weeks for pre-Christmas family weekend. We ate once in a 'good' restaurant - Pod Aniołami. No complaints, it was fine and a very nice atmosphere. Will we go this year? No, we'll go two doors up the road to Balaton where we usually go because we all love it - spicy fish soup, huge placeks and Bulls Blood wine. Friendly service and no worries about how we are dressed.

Can you condemn me for preferring it? No. Could I condemn someone else for preferring somehwere a little more upmarket? No.

Chill, lads. Listen to 'Mister you're a better man than I' by the Yardbirds and respect each other's differences!
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/12/05/american-teacher-shot-and-killed-while-jogging-benghazi

But, did his school owe him any money?

Do you think he enjoyed the beaches and BBQs?

Just maybe the DoS and FO know what they are talking about?

Yeah, working in Libya's a no-brainer.....

I know a guy working at this school, I'll be curious to hear his reaction to this.

Last edited by ecocks on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-libya-american-teacher-shot-20131205,0,4385142.story

Perhaps this can be the final word on dragonpiwo and his constant references to how much money he allegedly has.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Yep, this is one of the risks of being in Libya right now and it's very sad. Benghazi is in a violent state of flux at the mo. I went through the Ansar Al-Sharia gate there several months back and will not be going there again. We are on a huge petrochem complex by the sea, walled in and guarded by hordes of armed security people. Luckily, we aren't near a major urban centre. What he was doing jogging about there, the lord only knows. Where is anyone safe from these nutters? Thoughts and prayers for his family.

And Delph...just go to that country retreat and take a look. You'll be very pleasantly surprised. Top notch.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to have strayed far from the unfortunate OP who was diddled out of a few grosch by an unscrupulous employer.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Scott-getting diddled, dodgy 'civil contracts and unethical tax practices are commonplace.

Most of the schools pay a subsistence wage. Doing privates is how most people afford the extras. However, some schools even contractually forbid working for others. I wouldn't want to look after my family on 8k PLN (net) a month that's for sure. The average school offers about 3k. Shysters like IH much less.

I guess you can eat healthily for 20-30Zl a day. You know a cereal breakfast, a bit of fruit, a cheap bistro meal for obiad and some sandwiches for dinner. You can also drink in the 4Zl shot bars and walk everywhere. No-one disputes that. However, the moment you stray off the path of frugality and run a car, pay for a child, buy consumer goods and clothes of a western standard or require dental care, a family visit home, a wedding or a holiday, you'll have some serious head scratching to do unless of course your missus earns a good wage too.

Me and the missus like to have a splurge every now and again and these cost thousands. We did the UK on the cheap for a weekend visit last trip and all in it cost more than 4000Zl. We also did Berlin. God only knows how much the average American pays for his trip home to visit the family. Many of these adults get 'helped'.
Infinite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: arm chair interneters do my nut Reply with quote

Richfilth wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:
Reality about what? The prices I actually pay in hotels and restaurants or my son's school fees? Perhaps you mean about the prices of clothes or electrical goods compared to those in the UK, where I was YESTERDAY. Perhaps you want to tell me running a mobile is cheaper here or a second hand car too!! Even supermarket food is pretty much the same as the UK now as my Polish fiancée told me yesterday...you know the one who is the boss of 5* luxury retreat, so knows something about buying food/drink and fine dining in Poland. You lot look online at things, I live it.

Forgive this humble teacher for only having a brand new Xperia with 2.5Gb of free data and unlimited texts for 20 quid a month - cheaper than the UK. Or that I run a used BMW (probably the most expensive travel option possible) and maintain it with the complete garage full of tools. Or that this weekend the gf and I feasted on T-bone steak and crayfish washed down with a few bottles of wine; steak that far surpassed any of the stuff I ate in the UK two months ago when I flew back by KLM from Okecie, not the manky cheap airlines that fly from lesser airports. All of which were paid for from my EFL teacher's salary.

But I forget, you have the monopoly on reality in Poland what with all those years of living with only one foot in the place, while others have lasted a solid decade of full-time employment in Poland, buying real estate, setting up pensions, and having a very enjoyable time doing so.

+10 charisma, his rustic armor received 20 damage and his overall skills dropped by 5 points.. you receive additional +15 mana
curtmonster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Bell still not paying on time... Reply with quote

I started this post a while back reporting that Bell still owed me money and took it took several months of calling Ludka to finally get it. I have a colleague that, unfortunately, couldn't find another offer from a school and had to take what Bell could offer him(knowing damn well that they were having problems). I had to catch up with him to find out if they were still having problems and I felt obliged to report that they are STILL not paying on time, in fact, the DOS in Bydgoszcz told my friend that they still owe her 7 months of pay! He said that she was practically in tears when he was talking with her about not being paid on time and that he was thinking about leaving the school.

For those that are looking to teach in Poland, please do yourself a favour, stay away from BELL!
Post Mortem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bell still not paying on time... Reply with quote

curtmonster wrote:
I started this post a while back reporting that Bell still owed me money and took it took several months of calling Ludka to finally get it. I have a colleague that, unfortunately, couldn't find another offer from a school and had to take what Bell could offer him(knowing damn well that they were having problems). I had to catch up with him to find out if they were still having problems and I felt obliged to report that they are STILL not paying on time, in fact, the DOS in Bydgoszcz told my friend that they still owe her 7 months of pay! He said that she was practically in tears when he was talking with her about not being paid on time and that he was thinking about leaving the school.

For those that are looking to teach in Poland, please do yourself a favour, stay away from BELL!

Unfortunately, this sad situation is probably not strictly limited to the Bydgoszcz branch - in fact, I would bet it isn't.

I wonder how much motivation any DOS in this situation might have to perform the day-to-day duties of the school?

What a disappointment it must be for the newly-certified teacher to be trained and supported by a 'distracted' DOS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: