Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting through "Practical English Usage"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolguy123 wrote:
Great stuff guys, thanks for all the info. Does anyone know of any sources to get videos of lessons that I can watch to get ideas and such? Perhaps CELTA style lessons?

There are clips on YouTube drawn from the DVDs that accompany Harmer's books (a search for 'ELT Harmer' lol will unearth them) for a start. We've actually discussed a few of them and others on the forums (Sashadroogie is a great one for posting clips that we are then usually invited to savage Mr. Green).

I have to say that regardless of author or school or teacher, I find most ELT classroom clips somewhat frustrating and irritating to watch. The overriding impression I get is that the rationales are often hazy or questionable, that time is being frittered away or plain wasted, and that students are being politely patronized. I think where ELT makes or can make the greatest contribution is with its grammars and dictionaries and other reference books (maybe check out some of the activity books from CUP, Coolguy? That is, their Handbooks for Language Teachers range), rather than in the average classroom teaching per se (that being said, CLT can sure beat a lot of stuffy Grammar-Translation or whatever).

Don't get me wrong, I've taught this way myself, but there's no way I'd enrol in such classes (if studying say Chinese or Japanese), unless the classes were small enough (say 4 students at most) that there'd be a chance of more sustained and genuine interaction.

Here's another, pretty much random clip, not from Harmer and of worse AV quality (so it's a bit hard to make out the examples and student speech generally). I don't want to criticize unduly, but apart from talking about other people's likes rather than one's or the students' own (though other people's might be useful in the context of e.g. deciding what presents to buy somebody, or planning a surprise holiday for them), there are "subtle" little things like at 0:43 looking at the board rather than the student after nominating that student to read out an example (and don't say 'It's only an example' or 'What does it matter where the teacher looked'. The board may well need to be the focus of attention sometimes, but usually I'm focused on the student's face, even when they're ugly ROFL!). Then, I'd like to have heard what the left-side students were possibly chatting about before they were stopped and directed to listen to the right-side group, and so on. But Sinatra songs eh, what a great and tasteful use of class time. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for lying by, rather than just comfortably sitting by, a fireside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkVB2KgpbQ

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:03 am; edited 8 times in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
Sashadroogie is great.

So true!
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are! And what does that make me, the hamster's knees? (It sounds better in Gerbil).
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bee's?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you insist!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: