Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS examiner certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWA1981

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that only British citizens get hired to be IELTS examiners? All the ones I met so far have been white Brits.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know plenty of people who examine for IELTS who aren't British. They aren't in China though. I'd be interested to know about the FT positions with the BC. I wonder what they'll be paying.
Big Worm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RWA1981 wrote:
Is it true that only British citizens get hired to be IELTS examiners? All the ones I met so far have been white Brits.

Of course not troll.

Examiners get paid on a per piece basis. The more you mark, the more you get paid. Speaking tests are paid differently than writing. People who do it tell me you can make up to 3,000 rmb per weekend. No direct experience tho.
Volver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of non-Brits work for the BC and I am one of them.

Whatever you heard about the previous pay rate means nothing now. Everything will change and nobody knows what will happen, not even the BC.

V
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More BC stupidity at work: they've booked me to work in a city two hours away by train (+30 minute taxi rides on either side).

But here's the thing: they've booked me for Saturday afternoon only.

Damn, they are dumb as. Like I want to spend six hours travelling to and fro to interview 12 candidates.

Idiocy at its finest.
Volver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Does that ever sound familiar. How the BC does its scheduling is one of the greatest unsolved mysteries in the entire world.

V
Volver

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BC has sent out its proposal for the future and it sucks. How does it suck, you ask? How about working for Y167 per hour before tax? Or no accomodation provided? Or no health coverage for dependents? Or being at their total beck and call and not having a life because all you do is examine and travel? Or no airfare reimbusement? Or not being allowed to work for anyone else? Or being forced to fly anywhere even though the horror stories examiners have about flying are legion? Or being required to work up to 160 hours per month during busy times which really means you will be working and traveling probably double that amount? There is lots more here but I have yet to go through it all. This job is a piece of garbage. It may be attractive to others but certainly not to me. I will post more as I go through this but all I can say at this point is good luck to anyone who takes this offer because you will need it.

V
Big Worm

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My predication: This falls flat on its face. BC becomes desperate for examiners. Money is paid to the right people. Things go back to before, or something similar.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least they kept their word and got the proposal out by the end of April. (They clicked on send and then ran out of the office for the May Day holiday before the bewildered and astonished phone calls started).

I'll be honest. there's parts of the proposal that are so counter-intuitive, I'm assuming that the fault lies with me not understanding it, so I'm waiting till next weekend to discuss with other examiners.

A tiny fraction of travel costs?
We pay for our own hotels?

There's a lot of other things. The reality is that there aren't a lot of current examiners (i.e. the Z visa ones) that were going to do this anyway. Of course, the people who haven't been able to examine for the last 6 months (in china) are probably quite keen on all this.

Last edited by vikeologist on Tue May 06, 2014 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Volver

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have read it a bit more and there are aspects of the proposal that sound downright deceptive/disengenious. The part about working for 15 days to make the maximum income really bothers me. The BC says 15 days yet they mark 18 days on their hypothetical calendar. It took me awhile to figure this out but it looks they added together 1/2 and 1/4 days to total 15. Anyone who has to do any sort of travel or commute knows that 1/4 or 1/2 day of work means an entire day is shot. Do they really think us that stupid?

There is supposed to be 30 days of vacation, but if I read the proposal correctly, they have the option to cut your vacation into 2 parts depending on how busy they are. This may make sense from their standpoint but certainly not from the standpoint of someone paying for their own ticket and wanting out of this place for a good long while.

I am probably not understanding some or much of what they propose. However, given how they have screwed up over the past 6 months, maybe I am not. I don't trust these people.

V
notnow

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that many examiners on here and elsewhere distrust the bc so much? When all is said and done they are a devil that's known and kind of benign really. Remember many of us are quite happy to trot off and sign up with a Chinese school relatively sight unseen. Would you say the bc pulls Chinese management style bs? Sure they grossly misjudged the visa changes and are mildly incompetent from time to time. What I see most of the time is they look out for number one rather than pure evil or full-blown Chinese-style mismanagement.
Jezza

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this presents IDP with an opportunity to examine in China again?
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notnow wrote:
Why is it that many examiners on here and elsewhere distrust the bc so much? When all is said and done they are a devil that's known and kind of benign really. Remember many of us are quite happy to trot off and sign up with a Chinese school relatively sight unseen. Would you say the bc pulls Chinese management style bs? Sure they grossly misjudged the visa changes and are mildly incompetent from time to time. What I see most of the time is they look out for number one rather than pure evil or full-blown Chinese-style mismanagement.

They've treated us like crxp for the better part of last year

A lot of examiners have left the BC, either out of disgust or because they didn't have the 'right' visa.

Their management style nowadays is on par with a shoddy mid to low-tier Chinese school.

They have plans to continue treating us poorly - particularly the ones that saw them through last year's visa debacle.

Big thumbs down to the British Clowns, aka BC China.

110% in agreement with Volver.
notnow

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
I wonder if this presents IDP with an opportunity to examine in China again?

As in...what?

Ok, "IDP Education co-founded and jointly owns IELTS (International English Language Testing System) in association with Cambridge English Language Assessment and the British Council" (some website), so...? Are you implying IDP will deliver a different test? The IELTS test? In competition with the BC? What is it you are saying?

(Troll?)
Jezza

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there. I'm not a troll.

I don't mean they should run a different test. IDP used to run IELTS exams in China when I used to live there, but sonething happened and it was decided that the BC should be the sole provider of the exam. I was just thinking this new situation could justify letting IDP run the exams in China again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: