Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student numbers drop drastically

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slapntickle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Student numbers drop drastically Reply with quote

According to a recent report:

The number of students coming to English universities has reduced significantly since 2010 - the first decline in 29 years - according to a report released today.

The report, from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) revealed that the number of students from India and Pakistan on full-time postgraduate courses had halved since 2010, but that their numbers were growing in other countries.

UCU said tough domestic rhetoric on immigration and changes to student visas were doing little for the UK's image abroad, especially at a time when other countries were doing more to attract international students.

Increased tuition fees were blamed for the fall in the number of full-time EU undergraduate entrants. A growth in Chinese entrants in full-time Masters programmes, coupled with a decline in traditional UK postgraduate markets like India, Pakistan and Iran, has led to almost as many Chinese students (23%) as English students (26%) on Masters courses.

http://www.ucu.org.uk/7018

Last edited by slapntickle on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Studet numbers drop drastically Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
According to a recent report:

The number of students coming to English universities has reduced significantly since 2010 - the first decline in 29 years - according to a report released today.

The report, from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) revealed that the number of students from India and Pakistan on full-time postgraduate courses had halved since 2010, but that their numbers were growing in other countries.

UCU said tough domestic rhetoric on immigration and changes to student visas were doing little for the UK's image abroad, especially at a time when other countries were doing more to attract international students.

Increased tuition fees were blamed for the fall in the number of full-time EU undergraduate entrants. A growth in Chinese entrants in full-time Masters programmes, coupled with a decline in traditional UK postgraduate markets like India, Pakistan and Iran, has led to almost as many Chinese students (23%) as English students (26%) on Masters courses.

http://www.ucu.org.uk/7018

Currently on an MA course in the UK, 50 students on the course, 35 from China.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:

Are you British? If you are, I feel sorry for you because I'm quite sure the instructor will need to dumb down the language to help the Chinese who are infamous for their atrocious English skills. Maybe you spend more time studying language than your own damned subject.
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
Shroob wrote:

Are you British? If you are, I feel sorry for you because I'm quite sure the instructor will need to dumb down the language to help the Chinese who are infamous for their atrocious English skills. Maybe you spend more time studying language than your own damned subject.

Yeah, native English speaker. Apparently last year's cohort had 80 students and their English ability was very poor. They raised the IELTS requirement to 7 for this year (how some students achieved that I'll never know). Seminars are still poor, I basically got together with other natives/EU students who do the required reading and participate. I don't want to sound sour towards certain nationalities but I'm investing a lot on this course and want to get the most out of it.

Edit: It's not just English ability but education culture. I wish they would participate... They have different ideas/experiences that would be great to share. But they turn up (visa requirement) and just sit there. Of course all aren't like this, but more thanost are.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education has become a commodity and is bought and sold in the market place.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Seminars are still poor,

Sorry to hear that. You really deserve better, especially as you are paying premium tuition fees. I hope this degree will be worth it and you won't get massively into debt. A new report says that students will graduate with a debt of 44,000 pounds, which they'll probably never pay off:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/a-life-of-debt-todays-students-face-leaving-college-owing-44000-30175689.html

I'm glad I did my degree back in the good old days when there was more government money around. I'd definitely think twice about doing it today.
sprightly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two problems.

the first is that as mentioned, universities are no longer bastions of learning and thought, but money makers. they have to maintain customer/student satisfaction. they will pass anyone who threatens to complain and therefore blemish their image. this applies to the top unis, not just the former polytechnics.

the second is that some overseas students cheat on the IELTS, and when the unis discover this, they do nothing. they'd rather have crappy classes than have potential students hearing them bad-mouthed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: