Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sohar College and "Shady Characters"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, you prefer to not read nor comprehend either what their website or other posters say, but perhaps you should drink a few of those coffees before posting.

VS
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "straw man" argument, nice!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... that is pretty much what you are doing.

VS
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Pop Quiz Reply with quote

What is the best value for money:

A. A cup of coffee?
B. A tank of petrol?
C. Thousands of wasted hours posting on this site by VS?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazoo1000 wrote:
Not sure where you're getting your info but several years ago (probably more now) I got a job in Oman earning 1300 OR. Just a bachelors, not education oriented.

You specifically asked the following: "Any thoughts about the low wages at Hawthorn?" The information I provided was off of Hawthorn's job ads---the salary they offer BA holders was clearly indicated. Obviously, they're a for-profit company; they can pay whatever they want as long as it meets their business and financial needs. Other employers may pay higher or lower.

and wrote:
I have no idea why one would mention bachelor degree holders but not be referring to all bachelor holders, just some.

In regard to requisite academic qualifications, nothing is static---requirements, employer preferences and government regulations can (and do) change. So instead of speculating, apply and find out what your BA would get you, if anything. Otherwise, maybe you should re-apply to your former job---the one you stated paid you 1300OR.
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem rather fixated on the fact the you are a "for profit" company.

How is that relevant? Do you work for Hawthorn?
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Salaries in Oman Reply with quote

"Not sure where you're getting your info but several years ago (probably more now) I got a job in Oman earning 1300 OR. Just a bachelors, not education oriented."

That's the problem: information that was accurate several years ago is now out of date. The pittance offered by Hawthorn is typical of falling salaries in EFL in the Gulf: there are vacancies in Saudi Arabia offering similar amounts. Highly-paid jobs - mainly in universities - are still available, but require a master's degree or PhD.

VS's hours spent posting on this website have not been wasted; she's one of the bettter-informed commentators here, and not given to cheap remarks.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the recruiters make their money by taking a considerable portion of salary that would be paid to the teacher if they were a direct hire-problem is getting hired directly by MOHE thus avoiding the likes of Hawthorn...I've not seen this done without putting in the 1 or 2 years service working through the recruiter first. Pay from Hawthorn-around 1000 rials a month. Pay [as direct hire] through ministry-1500.....
Chuma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
All the recruiters make their money by taking a considerable portion of salary that would be paid to the teacher if they were a direct hire-problem is getting hired directly by MOHE thus avoiding the likes of Hawthorn...I've not seen this done without putting in the 1 or 2 years service working through the recruiter first. Pay from Hawthorn-around 1000 rials a month. Pay [as direct hire] through ministry-1500.....

Direct hire at MOHE pays more than SQU?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One difference - and this is one of those areas where there is so much variance between employers these days (not to mention rapid changes) - is to look at housing. Most of the recruiters/contractors are paying a lump sum and the teacher finds, furnishes, and pays the rents on the flats out of that sum.

SQU offers salary PLUS they provide a furnished flat. I believe that they still pick you up at the airport when you arrive and deliver you directly to your flat. (in the past when all teachers were on campus, they even had clean sheets on the bed and some food in the refrigerator - not sure if that is still done) Teachers do pay utilities, but there was (is?) an allowance. Many, if not most, of the recruiters drop you in a hotel and from there you're on your own to find your own place, furnish it, and pay the rent.

I don't know what the Ministry direct hires are getting salaries and benefits or grand total. I suspect that pay at the Ministry is like SQU - based on your credentials. Neither of them hire entry level credentials like contractors such as Hawthorn.

VS
Chuma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SQU offers salary PLUS they provide a furnished flat.

Good point. I hadn't considered that when I read the post.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ministry direct hire with a PhD and some years of experience gets 1600 Rial per month at a college in Muscat and additional paid holidays (i.e. a week in April, a couple of days throughout the year to be taken for emergencies). This is current (2014) information.
The teacher has to arrange his/her own accommodation.

There is a long waiting list for teacher wanting to become direct hires. Usually, they have been recruited by an agency and realize after some time, that it is financially more beneficial to switch. Also, some agencies demand return of their recruitment costs (flight into Oman, cost for the medical test and arrangement of the resident visa/ card) plus the associated work hours to obtain these unless the teachers has completed at least a full year of service.

Some agencies only pay the first week in a hotel. After that, the hotel costs are then taken out of the teacher's salary until s/he found a place. The agency provides no help whatsoever in finding accommodation.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that MOM or MOHE direct hire? And the 1600 only applies for Muscat, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: