Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding steady hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
demishout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only wish to stay a year or so, but still would hope to get a work visa. i don't want to live and work here illegally; that was never my intention. it's actually one of the main reasons i don't wish to continue working as a private tutor for business executives.

anyway, i'm content with attending a Christian (would only not comply if it were Islamic) prayer service, as long as it's included in my work hours.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's included in your work hours in that it is a requirement, but you are NOT paid for it.
booksandbeyond

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an odd sense of humor if you think being deported from Mexico is "funny", dude.

Dude,
Not so odd when you consider the fact that Mexico has enough crime on which to focus rather than going after an immigration violation.
Femicides, rapes, cartels, kidnappings, assaults....etc vs. a visa violator?
Not saying it doesn't happen but it's probably seldom...

Also, Mexico does not capitalize on holding people. Unlike other countries, where prisons are multimillion dollar businesses wherein each bed must be filled.
Yeah, there may be fines that the Mexican's will impose but the model is completely different. Plus, one can probably buy the agent a taco and he may let go.
Show me statistics and let's see real numbers. Otherwise, we simply have opinions and anecdotes, and opinions are just like that part of the anatomy...

Disclaimer: I do not encourage any individual to engage in illegal activities while in Mexico or any other country.
Very Happy
I am out of this convo. Cheers Very Happy
demishout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we leave this discussion out of my thread? It's just sort of silly.
demishout

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still nothin'

starting to lose hope... starting to think i'm a complete failure.
wandrousmuse

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demishout wrote:
I'm still doing the freelancing jobs and at the same time searching for a position at private schools/colegios. The trouble I'm having is getting in touch with these schools. I would really love to work with the security that these private institutions have to offer, so if anyone can just point me in the right direction I would consider it a tremendous act of kindness. I know I come off as sounding helpless, but I'm really not. On the contrary, I'm very much independent and self-sufficient (which could explain why I'm not good at coming to others for help). Having had almost no understanding of Spanish and having not known a soul living in Mexico City when I first arrived last month, I have since managed to find a wonderfully located flat, an amazing roommate, and two or three freelancing positions. I've also closely familiarized myself with the metro, places of entertainment, and many tourist attractions. I feel very much at home in the city; the only problem is getting hired to a secure position immediately. All the interviews I have had were performed with great ease and confidence. There were positions I turned down (Berlitz, Interlingua) last month, simply because I didn't have time for their training programs and expectations to work Saturdays. Others for which I just didn't want to give up the freelancing positions. Now, however, I wish I had stuck with the language schools. These private lesson jobs for a single student at a time are just too unreliable; oftentimes, the students will cancel or show up 20 minutes late to a one hour class.

Anyway, I love this city and I love teaching English to anyone of any age group or social class. Honestly. And I so very much desire to stay here, working legally of course; however, I just feel that there's this inexplicable barrier between private schools, colegios, and even public universities and myself. Pergaps it's all in my head. Still, I need to know just how to get through the doors, so to speak. Who's hiring?

And would love to find private students, but asking my flatmates and some friends has yet to yield me anything. How do I go about advertising myself (outside of craigslist).

Bear with me, please. I'm still young and inexperienced when it comes to formal business procedures. Teaching the material and accommodating to the students' needs are the easy bits; selling myself to academic institutes, on the other hand, just seems impossible.

One last thing: anyone know why so many language schools are listed on googlemaps, but are nowhere to be found in physical dimensions? :/

I understand that you have preferences, but, perhaps, you should be more flexible in the sort of hours you get. Especially as you near the end of the school year. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_term#Mexico)

Mexico City is really about hitting the pavement, putting up ads (in bars, cafes, yoga studios, universities, etc.), and face-to-face contact. I don't recall too many contacts being made online (unless you count Facebook). Have you looked in any of the Spanish-language newspapers for schools that advertise English classes? Online resources (Google maps and TEFL school directories, for instance) may be out-of-date.

If you're looking for private lessons, start at UNAM where there are numerous places to post ads. The campus is HUGE and from my experience there seven years ago, there are many students eager to practice or have a tutor. (Not sure the sorts of wages you could get, but it could help build your network.)

Also, do you establish a cancellation or lateness policy with your private lesson clients?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had luck finding private students by posting free ads online at segundamano, adoos and vivastreet.
demishout

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't really think I want to work in mexico (i could do private tutoring in the states fwiw) anymore. I'm most likely heading back to the states in a month or so. There are more opportunities there anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: