Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

See Naples and die...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapidoamigo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: See Naples and die... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some general information on Naples? Food, people, culture, weather, schools, how it compares to other Italian cities.....

My options are more open now as I have a couple of years experience under my belt. I noticed a couple of schools in Naples advertising at the moment:

1) Inlingua - Naples City

2) Benedict School - Pomigliano (Naples)

Does anyone know anything about these schools? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
**beer-goggles**

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVOID AT ALL COSTS Benedict School - Pomigliano (Naples)
See the specific topic forum for this school.
PontilediBagnoli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first job in this country was Inlingua. They are ok, but there is no future with them and they are run more like a business, although they do pay decently.

I was in Napoli for 2 years and I loved it, but it is a difficult city to live in, even for the locals. I loved the food, the people, culture, night life, beautiful girls, and the climate is quite nice. It really does get a bad reputation but like any big city, always be careful.
ntriolo8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this was 1.5 year old thread. I'll leave my post anyway in case anyone's interested.

I know nothing about the ESL scene in Naples, but I can tell you about the city itself, as it's one of my favorites in the world.

The food there is excellent and you can eat cheaply relative to other large Italian cities. You can get a big, fresh-made world class pizza with a lot of toppings for about 4 euros. The seafood, meat, and dairy markets and shops have great high-quality selections. And the region's wine is severely underrated.

The city itself is a bit chaotic, depending on your standards. The traffic can be terrible, but the subway works fine and so does the train system connecting Naples to other cities and smaller towns. There are some edgy neighborhoods, but the hype about it being a dangerous city is overblown. Dangerous by western European standards, perhaps. But compared to most of the world it's safe, if you're not being an idiot.

I haven't seen any club nightlife to speak of there, but haven't really looked for it. If you're young, Piazza Bellini is a great place to get a cheap beer and mingle with the city's young people, locals and foreign students. There are plenty of bars of all calibers, and you can find upscale restaurants with ocean views easily.

There is so much cultural history woven into the city, it's really staggering. You'll walk past very old and very beautiful churches without even noticing them. There are excellent museums. Day trips to historic sites and famous small towns outside the city are a must. And the Amalfi Coast is an hour away for a weekend beach retreat from all the smog, haze, and dirt of the city.

Neapolitans in my experience are friendly and a bit crazy. They call the city 'Il Manicomio', the madhouse. I love the ethos of the city.

Hope this has been somewhat informative. Good luck getting started teaching there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: