Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you a happy NET?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinagirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Are you a happy NET? Reply with quote

So many negative posts...I'm sure there must be happy NETS out there. Anyone care to share?
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am generally happy and quite rich. I have had some fustrating experiences here with the panel chair but the students make up for that because they are so wonderful.

I hope you become a Hong Kong girl
Bertrand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us who are happy (the vast, vast majority) do not have time to write posts complaining; we are too busy having a great time here in HK! If people complain about the NET scheme in HK, they should try teaching in the PRC! That would shut them up. Listem, just do your own thing and enjoy!
dandan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at a running total of 193 posts so far you must be freakin' miserable Dr. Bernard Shocked Wink
I'm happy n'all.
Bertrand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandan wrote:
Well at a running total of 193 posts so far you must be freakin' miserable Dr. Bernard Shocked Wink
I'm happy n'all.

I think you would find that, if you actually looked at my posts, the vast majority are directed towards China.
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair point dandan....the good doctor seems to have a lot of free time on his hands...and does a fair bit of complaining on various matters....
Bertrand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcoregano wrote:
A fair point dandan....the good doctor seems to have a lot of free time on his hands...and does a fair bit of complaining on various matters....

Free time? My working hours are posted on another thread. But, yes, here in HK one does tend to have a lot of spare time. Look, we are not TEFLers here; we are teachers in government schools. We get 4 months a year paid holiday. Have you ever heard of the summer holidays? Did you get them when you were at school? Teachers are currently on summer holiday! Wake up and grow up!
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertrand wrote: "Look, we are not TEFLers here; we are teachers in government schools. We get 4 months a year paid holiday."

Who are not TEFlers? I am not a teacher in a govt school, tho I would also object to being labelled a TEFler. I do not get 4 months paid leave (in fact I don't get ANY paid leave) and, unfortunately, unlike you, I am not getting paid while doing this....I hope you enjoy that privilege.
AKA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the acronym TEFL have some unpleasant connotations......I thought it was purely descriptive. I would have guessed most Kong Kongers qualified as NESB. I know the ones I taught at high school in Australia after '97 were certainly no better than their PRC counterparts. They just THOUGHT they were. And yes, Dr.B we do need to be qualified and registered to teach there. And so you're a NET? A bit below you, I'd have thought. What about one of those positions in Saudi for you?

PS Marcoregano, the doc. boasts of "working" 2 or 3 hours a day. Are you guys considering industrial action in his support? He posted ten or more times on the China forum today. Me too, but I'm on paid holidays, 10,000 rmb a month plus all the side work I want. Don't believe lies, there's good work and a good life to be had here.

If anyone thinks I'm a bit harsh on Bertrand, let me know, and I'll find some of his better China forum work. Look at BLUEY's thread in particular.
pintobean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Thinking about becoming a NET Reply with quote

Hi I just recieved a job offer at Chatteris where Ill be working for 9 months getting paid very little but recieving free housing...with the possibility of being promoted to be a Schools Coordinator and get paid more...and after 9 months I can become a NET and I was told by Chatteris that I could also have a good chance of teaching art or computer skills or something...do you really think thats possible? I would think the major need would be English teachers...but anyways, I didnt even think about the Summer vacation...do all NETS recieve that?? That would be totally great because I could go home every year. it sounds like a great oppurtunity, plus, I love Hong KOng, i lived their for 6 months as an exchange student in spring 2002.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't Chatteris linked heavily with VTC now?
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Are you a happy NET? Reply with quote

chinagirl wrote:
So many negative posts...I'm sure there must be happy NETS out there. Anyone care to share?

I'm a NET and I'm happy!

Perhaps visiting the PNETs forum (google it as I can't post links) might be more informative?
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertrand wrote:
Marcoregano wrote:

Free time? My working hours are posted on another thread. But, yes, here in HK one does tend to have a lot of spare time. Look, we are not TEFLers here; we are teachers in government schools. We get 4 months a year paid holiday. Have you ever heard of the summer holidays? Did you get them when you were at school? Teachers are currently on summer holiday! Wake up and grow up!

4 months?

Are the holidays for NET really that good?
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NET holidays vary from school to school.

Typically, 4-5 weeks in the summer, just over a week for Christmas, almost two weeks for CNY and a week for Easter. You also get about 6-7 public holidays too.

But, again, every school is different.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherTim wrote:
NET holidays vary from school to school.

Typically, 4-5 weeks in the summer, just over a week for Christmas, almost two weeks for CNY and a week for Easter. You also get about 6-7 public holidays too.

But, again, every school is different.

Thanks for that prompt response TeacherTim...

That typical scenario adds up to 7-8 weeks + public holidays. Even allowing for that variation, surely it's nothing like 4 months off in any school is it?

Does anyone here get more than that quoted above?

I get around 10 weeks off where I am now, and would be reluctant to take too much of a reduction in that. On the other hand, something closer to 4 months would make me a very happy NET!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: