Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE ENGLISH ACADEMY IN IZMIR!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beauty26

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: THE ENGLISH ACADEMY IN IZMIR! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if there is anybody here worked or working at the English Academy in Izmir?

I have an interview with them. But I have had bad experiences before with other language schools, so I am a bit anxious about it because I have to make a special trip to get to Izmir for the interview.

Any comments will be deeply appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Beauty26
FGT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't worked at Academy for some time now but am in close contact with some of the current teachers there. My judgement is still fundamentally the same: if you want to work in a language school in Izmir, the English Academy is probably your best bet.

The school is quite demanding of its teachers but if you are serious about your craft that is not a bad thing - you will be working with other teachers who take the job seriously.
The pay is not great but you get everything that they promise you - paid overtime, flight money, free/subsidised accommodation, work/residence visa etc.
It would probably suit someone with some prior teaching experience better than a complete newbie, particularly as a crucial member of the management team is leaving this year.

The English Academy is NOT a fly by night company that takes advantage of foreign teachers. It doesn't suit everyone but is professional and honest. I worked there for 8 years and have no regrets.

Good luck with the interview if you decide to follow it up. Feel free to pm me if I can help you with anything else.
Beauty26

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Thank you for your reply :) Reply with quote

Hi FGT,

Thank you for the helpful info. It is great to hear from someone who worked there previously.

I have seen the mention of the low salary on a few other posts as well. So, do you have any idea of their current salary range? And do they ever give rent allowance rather than a shared accommodation? I hear that Izmir is fairly expensive.
FGT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the current salary. Previously, although not high, it was better than the other Izmir language schools.

Yes, there should be the possibility of a rent allowance as an alternative to a shared teachers' flat. This would probably depend upon the existing spaces in one of the teachers' flats - if they have a space in a flat that is already being paid for, they would be likely to prefer you to stay there rather than costing them more in additional payments of rent allowance.

You should be able to get some information on these topics from them by phone before you decide whether its worthwhile travelling to Izmir for the interview.
Beauty26

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I have asked these questions before I sent this post, but I am just waiting for the reply! Wish me luck Smile
Beauty26

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I have asked these questions to the school before I sent this post, but I am just waiting for the reply! Wish me luck
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, any updated info on this school?

What's their professional development like?
Do they offer a full time salary?

Dude
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: