Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TBI Bekasi Warning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a heart Tazz. These people were threatened with arrest and half their salaries taken. How would you feel if you were one of many victims of extortion and the school then went online trying to recruit new teachers? Surely people need to know the risks.

Last edited by princesss on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:39 am; edited 3 times in total
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another thread about TBI Bali but it got locked. Every time former teachers report negative experiences about TBI they are jeered and heckled at. TBI also tries to get threads taken down. They only have 6 expats at their best school, Kuningan when they used to have ten. If they responded to serious complaints rather than making people sign confidentiality agreements they wouldn't be in this pickle. They have created this negative publicity themselves.
markustm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: TBi, a different opinion Reply with quote

I am a former Tbi teacher, who renewed my contract for four years, as a matter of choice. Now I am working outside Indonesia, and still feel some of the comments I see about Tbi on this forum are exaggerated, and deceptive.

Tbi paid me on time, I always had a KITAS like the other TBi teachers I worked with, and they even helped some teachers take, and pay for a CELTA course. The majority of teachers I worked with re-newed their contracts. The student retention rate at the school I worked for was high.

According to the comments I see, Tbi are dishonest, corrupt and cheat their teachers, without any proof.

At the time I was with Tbi, one former manager at the head office in Jakarta, was fired. This ex=manager spent the next two or three years, "exposing Tbi, " blaming Tbi for everything, instead of reflecting on the reasons he left the company, and in my opinion didn't move on, as most rational people do, after a job finishes.

Although, Tbi did have its faults like all schools do, it also has its positives, and if these negative comments are done by this former- manager (The style of writing is very similar), then please look at the positive experiences you had, because you wouldn't of stayed on at Tbi, until you left, if you didn't like the company or the job.

iIf the company were really that corrupt, and nasty to the teachers, as a manager wouldn't you have been guilty of treating the teachers badly, and corrupt yourself, to be able to keep your position for so long?

Its easy to be negative, but their are many sides to a story, and viewpoints, not just unproven accusations, childish name calling and finger pointing, which is all I can personalty see in many of these comments.
p1randal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Best post ever!
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Markus had a good experience with TBI. It is also the case that many people did not. Calling people "childish" and accusing them of name-calling is your right, but it is pot kettle black. Why not argue the case instead?

Let's start with KITASes. I acknowledge that many people had KITASes at TBI. But I have seen emails from the Business Development Manager which specifically ordered school managers to hire people who had been rejected by DIKNAS on business consultant visas to cheat the system. That TBI was engaged in Visa fraud is, I think, now widely acknowledged. Furthermore I am not the person Markus seems to think I am. But I did work at TBI for many years.

I could easily put emails on he where TBI management ordered staff to break the law. But then that has been done before and TBI accused them of being "fake". They even alleged that the hex codes of the google email had been altered. What on Earth is a hex code? Isn't this all just a fairly desperate attempt to save face?

Does Markus care to say which branch he worked at? Does he honestly want to claim everyone had a KITAS who worked there for 4 years? I simply don't believe it. But then about 10 different TBI teachers have gone on the record against them and they claim all the time, wrongly, it's a conspiracy theory against them. TBI needs to be more responsible and transparent.
markustm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Double Standards Reply with quote

I could easily put emails on he where TBI management ordered staff to break the law. BUt then that has been done before and TBI accused them of being "fake". They even alleged that the hex codes of the google email had been altered. What on Earth is a hex code? Isn't this all just a fairly separate attempt to save face?

Obviously,if these these emails existed, they were confidential and "for management only."

This simply means that you must of willingly accepted this policy, meaning that you were happily complacent in breaking Indonesian laws yourself.

By exposing these so called "facts, " simply shows that whilst you were at Tbi in a management position, you were quite active in an alleged "rotten" management system, and were willing to break Indonesian laws, yourself for many years, until you were forced to leave.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Double Standards Reply with quote

markustm wrote:

Obviously,if these these emails existed, they were confidential and "for management only."

This simply means that you must of willingly accepted this policy, meaning that you were happily complacent in breaking Indonesian laws yourself.

By exposing these so called "facts, " simply shows that whilst you were at Tbi in a management position, you were quite active in an alleged "rotten" management system, and were willing to break Indonesian laws, yourself for many years, until you were forced to leave.

As I stated before, I am not the whistleblower you think I am. The manager from TBI Kuningan who leaked all the emails about the visas is certainly not me. He did forward them to just about everyone in the company when he left and copies were posted online. I managed a franchise school and I never once used a VKU visa to employ a teacher. I left TBI when I realised that recruitment problems were so acute that I'd have to break Indonesian law to get enough teachers. I didn't want to get my hands dirty. But I'm not getting into a debate about identities. Questioning people's "real" identities is a game anyone can play. I don't know who you are either.

Overall, the best advice for teachers is to ensure your school gets you a KITAS. Several users from various schools have posted their concerns in recent weeks about Sosbud visas and business consultant visas. Can we at least agree that work is prohibited on these visas? A good place for teachers to start is to insist on a KITAS. I think we can all agree that this is the best advice to ensure teachers are safe from a legal standpoint.
markustm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Double Standards Reply with quote

I am sure after given the fact that you have spent several yeas claiming one organization is criminal, and Indonesia is such a bad place to work in, everyone would like to know who you are?

How long did you work in Indonesia? How long where you a branch manager at TBI? Which branch did you manage?

After all, for all we know you may of never even set foot in Indonesia or simply be a vicious troll, who is simply jealous of expatriate teachers who live in Indonesia.
princesss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markustm you started off by criticizing others for name calling and now you call other people vicious trolls. You need to keep the debate civil. I have spoken to a TBI Bekasi teacher myself who repeated many of the same allegations made by the original poster. There is clearly a big problem at that school.

There is a trend where Tbi defenders try and get threads that report the schools many troubles taken down. I don't doubt TBI is very keen to have this thread disappear. Mafkustm started off by saying he knew which Tbi manager Bradley was and 2 posts later he suggests Bradley is a troll who never worked in Indonesis at all. Clearly the poster can't be both a former TBI manager and never have visited Indonesia! How credible is that?

Last edited by princesss on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: