Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U of Nizwa hiring?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiselpoint wrote:
The guy was trying to explain the system they've got there. After a bit, I just stopped listening.

I couldn't even get to the end of the job advert on the TESOL Arabia site.

Confused

No thanks.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whooooooaaaaaaa.

It takes a certain type of person to read all that: http://tesolarabia.org/conference/jobfair/jobView.php?id=170

Hope they find one.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Whooooooaaaaaaa.

It takes a certain type of person to read all that: http://tesolarabia.org/conference/jobfair/jobView.php?id=170

Hope they find one.

Cor blimey! Who wrote all that?
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only who worked there knows how packed with lies it all is what is written in the advert. The best way to decipher it is to use ''1984'' rule of NewSpeak.

The FI at Nizwa is evil, and the management, both Arabs and the Anglo-Saxons in charge are to be avoided. They sit in their own offices, detached from reality, basking in self-adoration typical of know-alls, and produce such theories as the one listed in the requirements for hiring.

Btw, what they write about '' not sitting and not preaching'', they do mean it, and they walk around all the time and check who does waht in class in terms of body posture and positioning.
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lies??? Are you suggesting that U of Nizwa isn't really "trying to getaway [sic] from the old traditional methods of teaching"??

I was quite inspired by their post in how:

-- "It is expected that Instructors will follow the curriculum and syllabus"
-- "conduct daily & weekly quizzes"
-- "students are given homework every day

Sounds like a jolly place to work.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, daily lesson plan is not a lie for sure.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who applies after reading that ad deserves whatever they get....
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the jargon infested crap on the posting it sounded like they wanted 'differentiated instruction using multiple intelligence theory'-delivered on a daily basis and documented in the planning stage. I've taught this way before-but in an Arabian context, potential daily torture!!! Even Gardner would run a mile from this....... Rolling Eyes
KvK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa is not that bad Reply with quote

Like anywhere. There are good and bad aspects of every job when you go overseas.

Just know that there are some incredibly awesome people who work there both supervisors and staff Very Happy , and the students are amazing and very endearing. But just keep your professional opinions to yourself and know that they are extremely understaffed and you will be expected to pick up the slack and smile while doing so.

If you can do that, you will be fine as long as you have access to a vehicle so you can get out of Nizwa itself at every opportunity as there is absolutely nothing to do there. There are worse places all things considered. Just do your research, and join some facebook pages or blogs to connect with other teachers before you go, or internations.org, and you will be fine. And what is the worst that can happen? You can always go home.
isabel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lasted twice as long in Saudi Arabia as I did in Nizwa. Everything I have seen and heard (from people there whom I know personally) tells me that it has gotten worse over the last few years.

Keep your professional opinions to yourself. Nice advice. Just shut up and do the work, no matter how badly things are done. You are not entitled to an opinion - even an educated, professional one.

They are badly understaffed? Why in hell, after all this time? Because the don't hire enough people? Too many quit? They accept too many students? It is poor management on someone's part, and it overworks the faculty severely and makes for very large classes.

Yes, I did love my students. They are dear and sweet, for the most part. But I found the male students rowdy, disruptive and uninterested in learning. As an overworked teacher with too full classes, it is exhausting and very unproductive.

Yes, there are pros and cons to everything. To point this out is meaningless. If you are making a decision about where to spend most of your waking hours, and whom to spend them with, and how to use your intellect, consider and weigh those pros and cons, and read carefully what is posted on Dave's. And know how to recognize the apologists and management when they post positive things.
KvK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you and my not being nasty does not mean I am denying what is in fact extremely wrong with the place, all of which you correctly identified. Of course it is a terrible feeling to not be valued as a professional and to work like a Bangladeshi construction worker for low pay. I know all that. I did not want this to be a hate fest. I left for personal reasons and for all the negative stuff, they did treat me very well and I got all my money owing and I did have some great help both from the administration and from my colleagues. It is the people that make a place, and there are good and bad everywhere.

But of course I for one did not appreciate keeping my opinions to myself which is why I got into trouble for this lots of times in the early days. They are badly understaffed because they don't have the money not to be. Period. Last year'f mass exodus took a heavy toll, and they knew it but all contracts and bonuses were still honored. That was the truth, and it does not make me an apologist or management sneaking my way onto the board. Not everyone is nasty and you can still be objective. Not everyone had a bad experience with nothing nice ever to report, The comments get very one sided here and I wanted to be objective even though ... I was not a favourite of management, I got into trouble all the time, and I was not happy about a lot of things, but I am taking into account that someone may based their career choise on what they read, and for me, I needed the money and a job and this was as good as any. I have worked in far worse places with the wonderful caveat that I always had the choice to go back to the United states. No one took my passport away in Oman or my booze or my freedom to go to church on Fridays.

I am just trying to be objective. The negative stuff is ALL TRUE, YES, but life is not one dimensional. You make nice friends and I loved my colleagues and my supervisor , and I stayed out of the way of those who hated me or wanted to get me into trouble. I am not sorry I went, I wish I could have stayed longer, for what it was. An income and a good experience. take it as that or however you want but I don't thnk I need to be nasty for the sake of being nasty. enough people here are doing a great job representing that side of things.

I realized I was not being paid to teach English but to teach my students how to pass all the silly quizzes and tests and I did a great job doing that. that was not their fault nor mine, I just made the adjustment based on the reality of teaching in the ME in that is all about passing tests. I had a great time in class once I made that mental shift. I also accepted I was not being paid for my opinion professional or otherwise. No big deal. Show me the money and I will teach whatever you want me to teach but I will make sure my students have a rewarding experience where they can see progress and gain confidence in their abilities.

QUOTE...
isabel wrote:
I lasted twice as long in Saudi Arabia as I did in Nizwa. Everything I have seen and heard (from people there whom I know personally) tells me that it has gotten worse over the last few years.

Keep your professional opinions to yourself. Nice advice. Just shut up and do the work, no matter how badly things are done. You are not entitled to an opinion - even an educated, professional one.

They are badly understaffed? Why in hell, after all this time? Because the don't hire enough people? Too many quit? They accept too many students? It is poor management on someone's part, and it overworks the faculty severely and makes for very large classes.

Yes, I did love my students. They are dear and sweet, for the most part. But I found the male students rowdy, disruptive and uninterested in learning. As an overworked teacher with too full classes, it is exhausting and very unproductive.

Yes, there are pros and cons to everything. To point this out is meaningless. If you are making a decision about where to spend most of your waking hours, and whom to spend them with, and how to use your intellect, consider and weigh those pros and cons, and read carefully what is posted on Dave's. And know how to recognize the apologists and management when they post positive things.
''
isabel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People still have choices to make. If you have the qualifications for Nizwa, you have qualifications for other places, too. Start your career in Korea - it is a great place, and the money isn't bad. There is a fantastic ex-pat community anywhere you go, and lots to do.

If Nizwa doesn't have enough money for enough faculty, then it has taken too many students. If it hasn't enough money, and has that many students, where does the money go? (I could suggest a few options, and all of them involve corruption and graft.)

If you have people "hating you" at work, your life will be miserable. I had this problem there, as well as most others I know. Why? Because it is a stressful, unrewarding, hateful place. I have been teaching for 22 years. It is the only place I have worked where there was a hateful atmosphere that was palpable. It is the only place I have worked where faculty assaulted each other (this was then, don't know about now). It was also the only place I worked, including outside of the Gulf, where a faculty member could come to work or call in repeatedly drunk, and get a pass.

The place is deeply problematic. It is not the usual hodge-podge of good and bad, I am afraid. I feel badly for the good people there, and they usually don't stay long.
KvK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, 100%, I just did not want to be the one to say this. It was very toxic. People were kind to me however when it mattered, and I looked at my colleagues who were wonderful professionals despite the corrupt atmosphere. They made all the difference. But yes, your words are true I just felt bad for my friends still there. And yes no one lasts longs if they are good teachers and have other options they can consider. I did not have that many as do many who are older and stuck there as they cannot get insured anywhere else.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
who are older and stuck there as they cannot get insured anywhere else.

You can insured uptil the age of 90!

Do you mean that they cannot get a 'job after a certain age? 58 years being the deadline I found.
isabel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
Quote:
who are older and stuck there as they cannot get insured anywhere else.

You can insured uptil the age of 90!

Do you mean that they cannot get a 'job after a certain age? 58 years being the deadline I found.

Insurance policies get much more expensive over 60, and some employers (most?) don't want the expense.

And general age discrimination is a factor, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: