Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Expected Salary"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: "Expected Salary" Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Quite a few positions I have seen advertised include something to the words of 'please include an expected salary with your application', which makes me uncomfortable. I never know what to put, I don't want to lowball myself, but don't want to rule myself out. It doesn't help I don't know what the going rate is in HK.

Any advice on what to put would be appreciated. If it helps I'm 25, British, native speaker, CELTA, MA Applied Linguistics with TESOL (by September 2014 -starting dissertation in 2 weeks), 3 years of experience.

Thanks
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shroob,

I know exactly what you mean, it would make me feel uncomfortable too. Why not try this thread where expected salary in HK is discussed? The thread is a year old but should give you an idea.
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Hi Shroob,

I know exactly what you mean, it would make me feel uncomfortable too. Why not try this thread where expected salary in HK is discussed? The thread is a year old but should give you an idea.

Cheers, useful info.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somewhere asks you what your salary should be, then it means that they are either not forthcoming with their own payscale so you can see where you should be or simply they don't have a payscale....

....both of which are blatantly wrong if they are looking to employ professionals....

....which would then make me question the place of employ as to whether or not they treat their staff like professionals....

....I think you can see where I am going with this,
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
If somewhere asks you what your salary should be, then it means that they are either not forthcoming with their own payscale so you can see where you should be or simply they don't have a payscale....

....both of which are blatantly wrong if they are looking to employ professionals....

....which would then make me question the place of employ as to whether or not they treat their staff like professionals....

....I think you can see where I am going with this,

I can!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Haha! I would love it if an employer gave me a blank check and asked me to simply fill in the amount.

Yeah, like that would ever happen for me.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that HK employers don't seem to be obliged to state salaries - smoke and mirrors are often the norm, whereas in the UK (for example) you would expect a job ad to make the salary clear.

Government schools, some international schools and the universities seem to be the only education employers here that usually (but not always) make salaries reasonably clear. Outside of them, expected salary would differ hugely depending on the employer.
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this back from one job:

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your interest in the post of Instructor of our Institute
. Sorry that we cannot release the salary range now as it is confidential information. The teaching hours are around 540-570 per year. Other than teaching, the Instructor has to prepare all lessons thoroughly: this may include the development and adaptation of teaching materials; completing all administrative duties as required (e.g. staff-student consultative meetings, attendance records, etc.); completing all assessment and marking requirements of the taught courses, etc.

They expect people to apply without knowing the salary? Madness. Well, it appears that way to me.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to salary expect the unexpected...Hong Kong is best visited as a tourist these days! Smile
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
When it comes to salary expect the unexpected...Hong Kong is best visited as a tourist these days! Smile

Well, in some fields that may be true, but in teaching / tutoring I believe there is still decent money to be made here.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salary information should be available for any EFL teaching jobs advertised by languuage schools in Hong Kong...saying that it's confidential information to give out a salary range (even when you receive a preliminary letter of interest and/or offer) is like saying come and work for us and if your lucky we will pay you! Hong Kong is part of China now it is not the Hong Kong of some 20 years ago when they used to advertise salaries on offer for English teachers! Shocked
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Salary information should be available for any EFL teaching jobs advertised by languuage schools in Hong Kong...saying that it's confidential information to give out a salary range (even when you receive a preliminary letter of interest and/or offer) is like saying come and work for us and if your lucky we will pay you! Hong Kong is part of China now it is not the Hong Kong of some 20 years ago when they used to advertise salaries on offer for English teachers! Shocked

I agree, it's unfortunately a sign of the competitive times that we live in that private schools and centres are withholding salary information and it goes mostly unchallenged. The school / centre in question is most likely trying to lowball the salary offer to any new potential teacher.

On the other hand, there is a wealth of salary information online and in these forums which people can use to their advantage.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is a salary information online...but unfortunately that does not help increase salaries on offer. The problem is market dynamics...there are SO many applicants who want to teach English in Hong Kong as the pay is usually very good. The Hong Kong Chinese know this...hence they dont advertise the salaries for EFL positions cause they know they know most EFL applicants are a dime a dozen. This is the unfortunate trend in the ESL world for Hong Kong...and many other destinations in the Asian/Pacific rim. The Hong Kong Chinese make it worse...unfortunately they see no reason to pay more money. Salaries for EFL instructors will no doubt be on a free fall soon...and Hong Kong will eventually lose its lure! Shocked
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Yes there is a salary information online...but unfortunately that does not help increase salaries on offer. The problem is market dynamics...there are SO many applicants who want to teach English in Hong Kong as the pay is usually very good. The Hong Kong Chinese know this...hence they dont advertise the salaries for EFL positions cause they know they know most EFL applicants are a dime a dozen. This is the unfortunate trend in the ESL world for Hong Kong...and many other destinations in the Asian/Pacific rim. The Hong Kong Chinese make it worse...unfortunately they see no reason to pay more money. Salaries for EFL instructors will no doubt be on a free fall soon...and Hong Kong will eventually lose its lure! Shocked

What I have noticed here is a healthy demand for private tuition and more teachers are taking on private work (either part time on the side or switching to full time private). Obviously this is not a legal option for everyone, but I know quite a few teachers here on dependent visas or who have gained PR who are going down this route.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private work is good...preferaby full time. Hopefully one can negotiatte better pay doing this...whatever happens forget the public sector schools in Hong Kong if your serious in earning money. Good luck! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: