Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you work illegally?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougsYute

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Do you work illegally? Reply with quote

Hello,

As someone who is thinking of coming to Costa Rica in September, I have a couple of questions.

Firstly does everyone work illegally, or do people sort working visas once they have settled in to a school? looking at the different posts and webstites I am getting the impression that illegal working in Costa Rica is the way to do it - but am not sure. Any help on that would be much appreciated.

My second question is about living and working outside of San Jose. What are the opportunities for this, as I have read some good things about the main schools in San Jose, but nothing about working outside. Does anyone have any recommendations for places in more rural surroundings.

Right thats it! All help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Michael (UK)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about this school it's in Heredia, outside of San JOse. www.spanish-intercultura.com, not too rural, CR is small.
As far as working illegaly, I've heard that it's common and people just border hop or pay a penatly when they leave, it's about the same. $50 USD or something like that. I think that it's done like this in many LAtine American countries.
DougsYute

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the school suggestion. i'll chase it up.

my only worry with the visa is that longer term i am applying for permanent residence to Oz, and I would hate to get a black mark on my file for working illegally or something like that. otherwise, I am happy to do as others do. I just don't want to mess things up for the future.

thanks for your thoughts. good luck in peru, its looks like an amazing place.
TeresaF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Heredia Reply with quote

Heredia is actually quite close to San Jose, though the trip can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or more. While there are rural-ish areas nearby, Heredia itself is a fairly substantial city. I feel much safer in Heredia than I do anywhere in downtown San Jose, which is every bit as miserable as other people have said. I've heard good things about Intercultura, though I've also heard they don't pay as well as other schools. On the plus side, you get free Spanish lessons. Or so I've heard....

I've never heard of anyone getting busted for working illegaly. As far as I can tell, the government isn't very concerned about it. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you keep your tourist visa current by border-hopping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: