Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding Teaching Positions while in Malaysia without TEFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbit720

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Finding Teaching Positions while in Malaysia without TEFL Reply with quote

How likely is it for me to find teaching positions while I'm in Malaysia without having a TEFL or CELTA?

I have over three years of experience teaching in South Korea but that's really it. I've tried and failed to find a job while not being in Malaysia because I don't have a TEFL OR CELTA but if I were in the country with all my paperwork and all would I be more likely to find a teaching position?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be the case that for visa reasons a teacher had to be/have:

Over 26 years old
CELTA equivalent plus two years experience
Degree

I say "used to be" because I can't find that written down anywhere now. Looking at jobs on TEFL.com, etc, I would have to say some sort of four-week cert is required I'm afraid. Try asking and see what happens.

A few years ago, IH KL took on teachers temporarily for two months or so. I'm not saying that's a good school or anything, because it isn't, but you might get a few months there to see if Malaysia's any good.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
It used to be the case that for visa reasons a teacher had to be/have:

Over 26 years old
CELTA equivalent plus two years experience
Degree

I say "used to be" because I can't find that written down anywhere now. Looking at jobs on TEFL.com, etc, I would have to say some sort of four-week cert is required I'm afraid. Try asking and see what happens.

A few years ago, IH KL took on teachers temporarily for two months or so. I'm not saying that's a good school or anything, because it isn't, but you might get a few months there to see if Malaysia's any good.

great point Hod. I wish I had done that before coming here to this shoddily-run, bag-snatching, inefficient, racist country. Ahhh, there's still time to leave! I would almost prefer Korea again, taht's how crazy this shet is here. Wife and I took a week in Singapore last month, just seeing a 1st world country again that FUNCTIONS PROPERLY made me cry.
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were banned, gloomyGumi?
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would I be banned?
Hod

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
great point Hod. I wish I had done that before coming here to this shoddily-run, bag-snatching, inefficient, racist country. Ahhh, there's still time to leave! I would almost prefer Korea again, taht's how crazy this shet is here. Wife and I took a week in Singapore last month, just seeing a 1st world country again that FUNCTIONS PROPERLY made me cry.

First of all, gloomyGumi, sorry to hear you (or more likely your wife) were affected by a bag snatch incident, which you have alluded to above. Next, I'm no Dave's ESL Cafe Malaysia salesman, but isn't the rest of your post very harsh?

I know Malaysia very well, and whilst I wouldn't choose to settle there as, in my opinion, the long-term future looks problematic, I wouldn’t have a problem living and working there again for two to three years and would recommend it highly to any TEFLer.

Like yourself, I’ve spent a few days as a tourist in Singapore and agree it’s nice. I don’t know if an academic report has ever been written to explain Singapore’s rise to first world status since 1965, whilst Malaysia in that time has pretty much stagnated, but it would be an interesting read.

But are TEFLers that interested in the politics of their host countries? If so, who would teach in places such as Myanmar?

To cut a long waffle short, Singapore isn’t cheap, is it? I’d go further and say that, as an average TEFLer, forget about it.

To sum up, I’d say Malaysia’s an OK/average place to consider as a TEFLer for one to three years. Don’t settle there. If you want to avoid “shoddily-run, bag-snatching, inefficient, racist countries”, stay at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: