Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysia as a Qualified Teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonsdad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Malaysia as a Qualified Teacher Reply with quote

I am heading home to the UK from Japan this summer to begin Primary Teacher training (kids aged 6 to 12), which will take 2 years. After that, I may look to move on again and am weighing up some options.

I really liked KL when I visited last year. Would there be many opportunities there for a fully qualified teacher? I could do a CELTA as well if it would help.
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads. Go on the international forum on TES & you'll get more info there.
adaruby

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Malaysia as a Qualified Teacher Reply with quote

gonsdad wrote:
I am heading home to the UK from Japan this summer to begin Primary Teacher training (kids aged 6 to 12), which will take 2 years. After that, I may look to move on again and am weighing up some options.

I really liked KL when I visited last year. Would there be many opportunities there for a fully qualified teacher? I could do a CELTA as well if it would help.

A CELTA would give you a chance at the BC after 2 years experience, but if you have a PGCE you could work at an international school and, as the poster above says, you shouldn't be short of options in KL.
gonsdad

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to know thanks.

Is there a standard salary I should look for with my level of experience / qualifications? KL didn't seem all that cheap!
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you'd be 2-year post-PGCC, is that right? Well, a 'decent' salary is all relative but there is a legal minimum of 5k RM per month for international teachers. Double that is the start of the top tier schools and triple that for the really top (in terms of take home pay after tax and EPF - Google it).
gonsdad

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have the PGCE, at least 1 year post-PGCE experience in the UK, plus 3 years as an Assistant Language Teacher in a Japanese School.

I expect I'd still be lower end of the salary scale but even 8k a month would be good for me.
adaruby

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonsdad wrote:
I'd have the PGCE, at least 1 year post-PGCE experience in the UK, plus 3 years as an Assistant Language Teacher in a Japanese School.

I expect I'd still be lower end of the salary scale but even 8k a month would be good for me.

The minimum you'd earn at the Council would be around 8k with most teaching centre/project positions peaking at 11k a month. Management would generally be anything up to 13, but you'd need a DELTA.

I believe places such as Garden International School pay around 15k a month to teachers, sometimes slightly more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: