Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which countries don't require a blood test or certification?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Which countries don't require a blood test or certification? Reply with quote

Just curious as I am sick of giving test tubes of blood for drug checks and HIV checks every time I go to another country. Korea, China, Malaysia, its just getting ridiculous. Does anybody here know which countries would not require a blood test for myself and for my wife? Also, which countries would take a teacher with 7 years experience but no CELTA or other certification? At age 50, I am not too energetic to get the rigorous thing, vim and vigor, it is all I can do to just do my lesson plans everyday and teach 4 hrs 30 mins to university students here daily. Alternate Saturdays for 2 hours as well.

Not in the mood for more blood tests or enrolling in any cert program. Any info on this would be appreciated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to avoid these things is to kinda stay put longer-term somewhere....
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that spiral. I am 50 now. Sucks. Feeling OK but not the same as when I was 35 or even 40. Malaysia isnt my cup of tea---too damn hot and humid year round, no cooling relief in sight, miss the nice winter winds and autumn winds and dry clean air of Korea and Turkey. This place is a hot stinky place. People smoking like crazy, stinky tofu, stinky foot-smelling ass-beans I call them, fermented pork, God-awful smelling stuff on a hot hot summer night humid and windless. Enough to wake the dead. (just sharing some thougts here, hahaha, its all true Sad

needles, blood tests, UGH, getting sick anticipating this. Uni lost everybody's tests and then found them after they expired, now we have to re-do them again, it isnt fair. Damn it. Damn it. I am not a pin cushiion, plus I think I have trypanophobia.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinky tofu? In Malaysia? In China I have smelt this but don't think I have in Malaysia. Personally, I think the food in Malaysia is great.

You are right about the weather. It is the tropics after all. You have to rearrange your daily clock and expectations.

Where in Malaysia are you teaching? I have generally advised people against teaching English in Malaysia, but I love visiting the country (I can see Johor from my flat).
deadzenpoet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand and Japan don't test. Or should I say don't discriminate against people with HIV.
However, working in a government school may require a general health check to get the work permit.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will lean towards japan as you cannot save squat in Thailand and now the red and yellow shirt crap is really harrassing everything over there. thank you buddy.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Which countries don't require a blood test or certificat Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
Just curious as I am sick of giving test tubes of blood for drug checks and HIV checks every time I go to another country. Korea, China, Malaysia, its just getting ridiculous.

Not in the mood for more blood tests or enrolling in any cert program. Any info on this would be appreciated.

I hear ya gloomy. The world's fast becoming an f'n prison planet and people like us are on the endangered species list.

For your own satisfaction, I would encourage you to ask which countries you can 'boycott' rather than what countries won't stick you with needles. Then you can write protest letters to all in charge. I'm serious- I do it all the time. You might not think it changes anything at all (I think it's the only way you can change anything), but it gives you satisfaction (especially whet you get texts back expressing regret over the situation).

It used to be a lot worse, really. Unless you had a government contract of some sort, or were wealthy, there was no way you could live in most of the countries bright young TEFL teachers flock to now. All these meaningless tests (unless you consider degrading workers to be meaningful) give governments the illusion that they're supporting a profitable industry (I hope no one here is confusing most TEFL work with real education) and at the same time 'controlling' the heads of the herd so as to weed out the sickies and keep things safe for the local herds. As long as TEFL teachers allow themselves to be tested (I have, in China, and I probably will again but I draw the line on criminal background checks- yeah, I am clean) they are supporting this restrictive contractual policy.

We should not just take facts as they are without questioning the motives behind authority and basically how governments and (more importantly) employers/contractors regard us. I have permanent residency in Japan- can work anywhere I want or even own my own school, and I can still feel the creepy crawly of engrained racism. But obviously discrimination is an element anywhere you go, even your home country (and I would NEVER take a piss test for Walmart!). The onus is on you to rise above it. And that's why I make a clear and very distinct division between the people and the government. If you bow and cater to the latter you'll never get a good night's sleep. You'll never get out of resentment and make meaningful relationships with real people.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Which countries don't require a blood test or certificat Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
gloomyGumi wrote:
Just curious as I am sick of giving test tubes of blood for drug checks and HIV checks every time I go to another country. Korea, China, Malaysia, its just getting ridiculous.

I hear ya gloomy. The world's fast becoming an f'n prison planet and people like us are on the endangered species list.

For your own satisfaction, I would encourage you to ask which countries you can 'boycott' rather than what countries won't stick you with needles. Then you can write protest letters to all in charge. I'm serious- I do it all the time. You might not think it changes anything at all (I think it's the only way you can change anything), but it gives you satisfaction (especially whet you get texts back expressing regret over the situation).

It used to be a lot worse, really. Unless you had a government contract of some sort, or were wealthy, there was no way you could live in most of the countries bright young TEFL teachers flock to now. All these meaningless tests (unless you consider degrading workers to be meaningful) give governments the illusion that they're supporting a profitable industry (I hope no one here is confusing most TEFL work with real education) and at the same time 'controlling' the heads of the herd so as to weed out the sickies and keep things safe for the local herds. As long as TEFL teachers allow themselves to be tested (I have, in China, and I probably will again but I draw the line on criminal background checks- yeah, I am clean) they are supporting this restrictive contractual policy.

We should not just take facts as they are without questioning the motives behind authority and basically how governments and (more importantly) employers/contractors regard us. I have permanent residency in Japan- can work anywhere I want or even own my own school, and I can still feel the creepy crawly of engrained racism. But obviously discrimination is an element anywhere you go, even your home country (and I would NEVER take a piss test for Walmart!). The onus is on you to rise above it. And that's why I make a clear and very distinct division between the people and the government. If you bow and cater to the latter you'll never get a good night's sleep. You'll never get out of resentment and make meaningful relationships with real people.

I utterly agree with you Blue. The demeaning bullshit here in Malaysia is above and beyond what anyone could ever conceive of. I work for a uni here in KL---one of the "better" ones.....(clear throat)...... and we had to all have "emergency" blood tests because HR had hired us all illegally--unknowingly, of course *wink,wink, because they had "forgotten" that Malsyian Law requires all uni teachers have a teaching permit. So we get this urgent email in Feb 2013 that we all have 7 days to get a blood test!!! wtf??? So we all complain and still we go get one. Then 6 mos. later ANOTHER "urgent" email says the tests had not been submitted due to someone's "negligence" in HR and we need to "immediately get another one"!! This gets worse. So we all get ANOTHER one, this is like Summer 2013, and IT ALSO EXPIRES BY DEC. 2013!!!!!!!!!!!! This time "someone" in HR was "fired" for not submitting the results to MOHE. Hahaha, so we get a new director, and things will be done differently now, and he apologizes for the past mismangement and circus of errors (read: LAZY, GOOD-FOR-NOTHING PIECES OF CRAP POSING AS PROFESSIONALS, WITH BAD ATTITUDES TO BOOT).

so WE ALL HAD TO GET another BLOOD TEST. Some have left over the past 12 months due to this and other bullshit.

Blue I have heard about Japan being racist, and about the dancing clown jobs with 7 year olds like in China and Korea. I cant do that stuff Blue. I CANT DO IT!!! Where can I go??? Oh, sombeody please help me!!!!
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which countries don't require a blood test or certificat Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:

I utterly agree with you Blue. The demeaning bullshit here in Malaysia is above and beyond what anyone could ever conceive of. I work for a uni here in KL---one of the "better" ones.....(clear throat)...... and we had to all have "emergency" blood tests because HR had hired us all illegally--unknowingly, of course *wink,wink, because they had "forgotten" that Malsyian Law requires all uni teachers have a teaching permit. So we get this urgent email in Feb 2013 that we all have 7 days to get a blood test!!! wtf??? So we all complain and still we go get one. Then 6 mos. later ANOTHER "urgent" email says the tests had not been submitted due to someone's "negligence" in HR and we need to "immediately get another one"!! This gets worse. So we all get ANOTHER one, this is like Summer 2013, and IT ALSO EXPIRES BY DEC. 2013!!!!!!!!!!!! This time "someone" in HR was "fired" for not submitting the results to MOHE. Hahaha, so we get a new director, and things will be done differently now, and he apologizes for the past mismangement and circus of errors (read: LAZY, GOOD-FOR-NOTHING PIECES OF CRAP POSING AS PROFESSIONALS, WITH BAD ATTITUDES TO BOOT).

so WE ALL HAD TO GET another BLOOD TEST. Some have left over the past 12 months due to this and other bullshit.

Blue I have heard about Japan being racist, and about the dancing clown jobs with 7 year olds like in China and Korea. I cant do that stuff Blue. I CANT DO IT!!! Where can I go??? Oh, sombeody please help me!!!!
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I still feel for ya Gloomy. Rant away those blues. I can't bear the thought of going back to Japan either. And I can't bear the thought of teaching Little Emperor uni's in China either. My goal has been to get an MA in linguistics in Yunnan (and I'm your age too) but I can't get a student visa and work part time legally for grinds. I got some cash but don't want to blow that either. I'm thinking of either Laos (Vientianne- NO F'N Way!) or Myanmar (wow now THAT'S a change of pace! Maybe Mandaly).

So what I am I going to do TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hang in there. Life is for the courageous.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha yeah Blue it sure is........ I also dont wanna blow whatever I saved all this time doggin it out in Korea, Turkey and now Malaysia. Whats wrong with Ventieane Blue? Where else in Laos would you be thinking of then? I was thinking of Ventiane myself. Have you thought of Sri Lanka or even Ethiopia?

I need to get out of Asia after 7 years it is too much spitting and staring and coughing coughing coughing---what is wrong with these people, all they do is cough and sneeze and spit??? Im gonna crack one in the head soon.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
hahaha yeah Blue it sure is........ I also dont wanna blow whatever I saved all this time doggin it out in Korea, Turkey and now Malaysia. Whats wrong with Ventieane Blue? Where else in Laos would you be thinking of then? I was thinking of Ventiane myself. Have you thought of Sri Lanka or even Ethiopia?

This is why I don't want to teach in VT, unless maybe the outskirts:

http://voices.yahoo.com/teaching-english-laos-8081684.html?cat=31

I was thinking of the 2nd or 3rd biggest city, too lazy to bing the names at the moment. Get away! A town would be best of all with a small college not too far away.

Anyway, it's the Road to Mandalay for me- I'm decided. Great, that's over! Hand wringing done. I'll go back to China too, after a year of study and teaching, but strictly as a grad student. I'll tutor, proofread, or translate in China but no more Howdee Doodee English 'edutainment' crap for me. I feel a stroke coming on. This is the big one Elizabeth!

My best friend in college was a Sri Lankan dude. I spent a week with his family in Malaysia (they had fled the Jafna civil unrest). Lovely people. I think Sri Lanka would be great. Don't know much about Ethiopia. Very handsome people, beautiful women, tons of history, rich culture...

I'm OK still with all the hacking and spitting (not fond of it of course:). Cept when I'm eating. Did surprise me once though when a waitress in Jinhong spitooned out a two-meter bell ringer before taking my order (outside restaurant). lol
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
gloomyGumi wrote:

This is why I don't want to teach in VT, unless maybe the outskirts:

http://voices.yahoo.com/teaching-english-laos-8081684.html?cat=31

I was thinking of the 2nd or 3rd biggest city, too lazy to bing the names at the moment. Get away! A town would be best of all with a small college not too far away.

Anyway, it's the Road to Mandalay for me- I'm decided. Great, that's over! Hand wringing done. I'll go back to China too, after a year of study and teaching, but strictly as a grad student. I'll tutor, proofread, or translate in China but no more Howdee Doodee English 'edutainment' crap for me. I feel a stroke coming on. This is the big one Elizabeth!

My best friend in college was a Sri Lankan dude. I spent a week with his family in Malaysia (they had fled the Jafna civil unrest). Lovely people. I think Sri Lanka would be great. Don't know much about Ethiopia. Very handsome people, beautiful women, tons of history, rich culture...

I'm OK still with all the hacking and spitting (not fond of it of course:). Cept when I'm eating. Did surprise me once though when a waitress in Jinhong spitooned out a two-meter bell ringer before taking my order (outside restaurant). lol

I will read that link in a minute. Louangprabang, perhaps? haha yeah the spitting what the hell is wrong with these people? Fred Sanford there? Edutainment is a great word. I aint doin that again either man. Dancing clowns and all that gay crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: