Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher Training Position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Leafy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Teacher Training Position Reply with quote

There have been several posts about the BoE mentoring program in Malaysia but I am specifically interested in the related teacher training position (Professional Development of English Language Teachers). I am qualified and I think more suited to that.

Does anyone have experience of this work? And do people on this program renew their contracts? Why or why not?

thanks
adaruby

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the British Council? I believe that the renewal rate of contracts was around 80%.

Things frequently don't go as planned - you can mostly look towards the MOE for reasons why - but overall it's a fairly decent deal.

Keep in mind that you'll have one or two extremely pissed off teachers who are unhappy to be on the project - they've often been told that they're on Pro Elt because their English isn't good enough - and who will be a bit of a pain, but the majority are happy to dig in and take on board new ideas.
Mr. Leafy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply adaruby. Since most people seem to come to dave's to complain, I guess the lack of replies should be a good thing.

I was hoping to hear a bit about the day-to-day work though.
What is the housing like?
Are you around other westerners at all? I've worked in cities with large expat communities and in places with none at all so either way is fine, but trying to get a picture of what it would be like.
adaruby

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Leafy wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply adaruby. Since most people seem to come to dave's to complain, I guess the lack of replies should be a good thing.

I was hoping to hear a bit about the day-to-day work though.
What is the housing like?
Are you around other westerners at all? I've worked in cities with large expat communities and in places with none at all so either way is fine, but trying to get a picture of what it would be like.

Day to day teaching is a mixture of language work, methodology and practical activities that teachers can use in the classroom. There's also an online component that the teachers must complete, which you will liaise with an e-moderator about.

Housing - even in the remotest of Malaysian places - tends to be of a good standard and is fairly cheap for what you get. Obviously, you pay more in KL, but there's a greater choice anyway.

As to whether you'll be close to westerners? Once again, that depends where you are, but with the number of projects ongoing in the country (both BC and non BC), it's unlikely that there won't be any long noses nearby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: