Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting rials in America

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Converting rials in America Reply with quote

Greetings. I'm going to America in July, and I was wondering about converting rials to dollars in America. This would be in a major bank like Citibank or Bank of America, but in a small town.

I remember trying to convert Korean and Thai currency. They got it done, but it was clearly a new thing for the bank employees. They had to get the manager who had to check to see if they took it or not. They would not take my Cambodian or Lao currency.

Anyone tried rials?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid similar issues, simply convert your riyals in KSA before you leave for your trip. Additionally, if you have a layover in the Gulf, you can also easily convert your money at the airport.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
To avoid similar issues, simply convert your riyals in KSA before you leave for your trip. Additionally, if you have a layover in the Gulf, you can also easily convert your money at the airport.

I agree with NS's advice to change before going but would never do so at an airport as the rates are usually dreadful. Are you in KSA or Oman?
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Oman, with no middle east stopover. Will the local banks have dollars? I was worried that it'd be a terrible exchange rate.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get a better rate exchanging your money in the Gulf than you would in the US. The banks and currency exchange agencies in Oman should have dollars; ask around for the location of an exchange near you. In fact, there are usually money changers near souks. Otherwise, get your dollars at one of the 24 hour currency exchange bureaus at Muscat International Airport.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Time for a change Reply with quote

The exchange rate between the Omani Rial and the US Dollar is fixed at 1 OMR = 2.60 USD. Go to any exchange house and change your Rials before you leave Oman. Airport money exchanges always charge a higher commission, so avoid them. Alternatively, you can send money by bank transfer.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll change them here.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two money exchange places inside City Centre Seeb in Muscat, just near the big Carrefour. You must have your residence card with you (or your passport).
cfaulkner

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pretty good exchange shop in the area of where the minibuses and taxis converge, the corral for transport vehicles, in Muscat. It's near the bus station and Samsung building. I can't remember the name of the neighborhood. Somebody help me out here.
cfaulkner

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruwi. I remember it now. It's near the Samsung building, facing the main drag.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Money exchanges in Oman Reply with quote

My favourite was the Faiq money exchange near the Sabco centre. When I first saw it, I thought it was pronounced "fake". Fake money. Wonderful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: