Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too late to apply for 2014 jobs in Oman?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queen Jo Jo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Too late to apply for 2014 jobs in Oman? Reply with quote

Hi there

I am interested in finding some work in Oman this year but am wondering if I may be too late. I have contacted Sultan Qaboos University who advised that they're no longer taking applications for this year. I've also sent off an application to Dhofar University and the International Maritime College but have had no response so far.

I have seen a recent posting on this forum about possible work with Awael National Institute so will follow that up. But if anyone has any other tips/advice about how to find employment in Oman for this year, I'd appreciate your input.

I have a MA in Education (TESOL) and have worked for more than 20 years in university settings in EAP and Foundation programs. This has been largely in Australia, UK, China & Indonesia and while I have taught Arab background students in Australia and UK I don't have direct ME experience so I guess this may count against me.

Cheers
Jo
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're a bit late; your best opportunity would have been TESOL Arabia's job fair back in March. Anyway, try German University of Technology near Muscat.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oman Higher Colleges of Technology are still advertising on tefl.com for next year.
Queen Jo Jo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - will have a look at those options.

And nomad soul - I saw the info on the Sultan Qaboos Uni site about hiring directly from the education fairs in Dubai & USA but wasn't able to go to either of those + it seems a bit mad to me to recruit teachers just from two events held in very specific places. Then again, I guess it's one way of managing the application process.

Will keep looking!

Cheers
Jo
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that SQU doesn't do much hiring because they have a very low turnover. At these conferences they are able to do face-to-face interviews and thus make better decisions on hiring. It is a shame that you were unable to attend the conferences as your CV would probably have made you an appealing candidate.

Go on The Google and look up the universities in Oman... there are a number of small private colleges that may need a teacher. Direct hire is always better, but you may have to deal with the recruiters for that first year in Oman. They are advertising and hiring constantly as some of these colleges in the hinterlands have a high turnover. (for all the usual reasons)

VS
Queen Jo Jo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS. I would prefer to organise a direct hire so will keep knocking on doors but could you advise who are currently the main recruiters out there for Oman?

Jo
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TATI are recruiting for the Higher Colleges of Technology and Hawthorn will be recruiting for the Colleges of Applied Science. Both adertise on here and on tefl.com

Whilst I agree with NS that a year with an agent can open the door to a direct hire position I advise some caution. Many of the private "universities" and tertiary "Colleges" offer low salaries, poor holidays and shocking conditions with split shifts being common.

Good luck with your search.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interview with Hawthorn about three weeks ago and I will start work in Oman in September. I'm not sure if they are still recruiting though.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
I had an interview with Hawthorn about three weeks ago and I will start work in Oman in September. I'm not sure if they are still recruiting though.

Do you know where they're sending you?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:

Do you know where they're sending you?

No idea, unfortunately, and I won't find out until July. I've expressed a strong preference to placed on the coast, but, I'll just have to wait and see.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to one of Oman's interior towns....if you want the coast-you'll probably need to get stronger than 'preference'-you'll need to go 'demand'!
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Trapped for two years Reply with quote

Just be careful because you are now stuck for two years due to the enforcement of the ex-pat law. No more chance of switching your employer/ job after one year.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I say, I'll just have to wait and see. There are three campuses by the coast and three in the interior so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Trapped for two years Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
Just be careful because you are now stuck for two years due to the enforcement of the ex-pat law. No more chance of switching your employer/ job after one year.

As I read it you could switch your job location as long as it was with the same employer. So somebody with Hawthorn and based at Nizwa couldtransfer via Hawthorn to Sohar because the visa and sponsor would rmain the same. I could be wrong though!
Salalah Man

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Too late to apply for 2014 jobs in Oman? Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought you were too late. At least I hope not as I'm looking as well! Colleges of Technology seem to advertise throughout the year and there are some private universities that will show up anon. Something will turn up. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: