Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How will a DELTA relate to jobs in HK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: How will a DELTA relate to jobs in HK? Reply with quote

Greetings.

I'm currently planning on taking a DELTA course early next year (in Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh or Buenos Ares) and was wondering how it would help me for potential job prospects in Hong Kong?

If anyone could help me with some advice I'd really appreciate it.

The DELTA looks good, but I want to make sure it will be totally helpful before I spend the time and money to do it.

Cheers.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA, DELTA, PGCE......all of the above. The more you have the better chance you will have in both the NET scheme and international schools.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you need the PGDE or the DELTA is useless (as a NET). The DELTA cannot substitute the PGDE. But if you have the latter, then the DELTA is certainly a very good thing to have.

So get the PGDE first.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: How will a DELTA relate to jobs in HK? Reply with quote

Greetings.

I'm currently planning on taking a DELTA course early next year (in Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh or Buenos Ares) and was wondering how it would help me for potential job prospects in Hong Kong?

If anyone could help me with some advice I'd really appreciate it.

The DELTA looks good, but I want to make sure it will be totally helpful before I spend the time and money to do it.

I'm not sure how useful the DELTA would be in Hong Kong. Most jobs I've seen are looking for CELTA or PGCE/PGDE . I agree with RiverMystic - get a PGDE first.
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DELTA is useful if you want to work for the British Council. Otherwise, QTS (in the form of a PGCE, PGDE, BEd or whatever) beats it hands down at the sub-university level. And at the university level an MA is much more useful than a DELTA.
endo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Much appreciated.
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Diploma level TESOL qual is now required for most categories of EdB SNETs, so your DELTA will put you in a good position.

look here http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/recruitment-secondary-net.html
adaruby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious_Fun wrote:
A Diploma level TESOL qual is now required for most categories of EdB SNETs, so your DELTA will put you in a good position.

look here http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/recruitment-secondary-net.html

Interesting, and about time more organisations outside of the BC started actively seeking people with a DELTA.

I'd imagine, it being Hong Kong, that these schools are well resourced, professionally run and pleasant to work in?
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:

Interesting, and about time more organisations outside of the BC started actively seeking people with a DELTA.

the EdB is not "actively seeking people with a DELTA". The SNET Scheme has a number of requirements for entry, one or more of which would require a diploma level TESOL course.

Quote:
I'd imagine, it being Hong Kong, that these schools are well resourced, professionally run and pleasant to work in?

that is the funniest thing that I've read in months! "it being Hong Kong" the schools are as different as the personalities of the principals and local staff. heaven or hell, it's a lottery.
adaruby

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious_Fun wrote:
adaruby wrote:

the EdB is not "actively seeking people with a DELTA". The SNET Scheme has a number of requirements for entry, one or more of which would require a diploma level TESOL course.

Quote:

that is the funniest thing that I've read in months! "it being Hong Kong" the schools are as different as the personalities of the principals and local staff. heaven or hell, it's a lottery.

In that case, I'd advise you to join a better library.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: