Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUST announces new director of foundation unit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: GUST announces new director of foundation unit Reply with quote

GUST announces Dr Ilene as new Director of Foundation Program Unit
GUST | 22 Apr 2014
Source: https://www.gust.edu.kw/content/gust_announces_dr_ilene_winokur_al_zaid_new_director_foundation_program_unit

The Gulf University for Science and Technology (GUST) President, Prof. Donald Bates and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Prof Ghassan Aouad welcomed Dr Ilene Winokur Al Zaid as the new Director of the GUST Foundation Program Unit (FPU) starting July 2014. President Bates expressed his delight with Dr. Ilene’s appointment and said: “Dr Ilene will be a great addition to the University.” Vice President Aouad stated that he is looking forward to working with Dr Ilene and commented on her international reputation and high level of professionalism.

Dr Al Zaid has had great experiences with GUST as an English instructor in the FPU, a presenter at the 2011 and 2012 GELL Conferences organized and hosted by university faculty, a peer mentor to other GUST instructors and a leader on the introduction of the new English 098 class curriculum. GUST believes that her experience will be a great asset to her new position as GUST FPU Director and lead the unit to great achievements. Dr Al Zaid is especially dedicated to preparing students for their undergraduate study and careers.

Most recently, Dr Al Zaid was the Managing Director of Specialized Solutions for Workplace Training and Development with previous university experience at the American University of the Middle East, successfully directing a task-based English curriculum and managing a staff of 20 teachers. She attained her B.A. in History at SUNY-Buffalo, M.A. in Business Administration at the University of Miami, USA, ESL Teaching Certification at the College of New Jersey, USA and her EdD. in Educational Leadership from Lehigh University, Pennsylvania/USA.

(End of announcement)
grayskies

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilene married a Kuwaiti and eventually became the principal of the American Academy for Girls for many years. Personally, I do not think she is a good fit at GUST or elsewhere for that matter. I would prefer someone who has a degree in TESL, English or Education.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayskies wrote:
Personally, I do not think she is a good fit at GUST or elsewhere for that matter. I would prefer someone who has a degree in TESL, English or Education.

Why do you think she's not a good fit anywhere? By the way, the current coursework for the EdD program at her alma mater seems pretty well-rounded and education-focused (http://coe.lehigh.edu/academics/degrees/edl-edd/curriculum).
mashkif

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayskies wrote:
Ilene married a Kuwaiti [...]

Ah, there's the very first problem: Every single Western woman I had any contact with or knowledge of who had married a Kuwaiti was insufferable or otherwise, well, just weird. Most of them, of course, will have gotten the Kuwaiti citizenship, and that for some reason makes them feel really supercilious and arrogant. They think they have to out-Kuwaiti the Kuwaitis in all the annoying facets of real Kuwaitis.

Yuck.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mashkif wrote:
grayskies wrote:
Ilene married a Kuwaiti [...]

Ah, there's the very first problem: Every single Western woman I had any contact with or knowledge of who had married a Kuwaiti was insufferable or otherwise, well, just weird.

Yuck.

Shocked
grayskies

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilene is relatively new to higher education. I do not feel that she promotes the importance of an education. It is my opinion that she caters to the brass, along with their money making motives.

There have been many instructors that have taught at the tertiary level for decades, who are more qualified than she. M. McM is one of them. He has put-PYP dept's., together single-handedly. The students find him 'hard', but they respect him too. I would prefer to have him as my director than another.
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Edited Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by Shakhbut on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
grayskies

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the interim, but before her, was M.C., whom I have nothing but respect for. I wish there were more directors like her. She looked after her instructors, and let the management know 'whats - what'!

And she had the best sense of humor. Something you do not see in PYP departments anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: