Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching without TEFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have noticed I edited my post too.. seems we're both a bit trigger-happy Embarassed Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No need to thank me for correct your ignorance."

Hmmmmm ? Did you say you were an ENGLISH teacher ?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always considered you the resident pseudo-witty non-constructive critic of Dave's ESL forum and after the last 24 hours I must say I'm remarkably disappoint that this is the best you can come up with. You seem to be able to chime in only with sarcastic irrelevant information that contributes nothing. I would have thought of all the practice you get you might be able to say something that might cause me some distress or cause me to be stumped as to how I should respond. Well, you've stumped me in a different way. A way which causes me to decide you aren't worthy of my response (although, of course, I'm giving it anyway. I'm just that generous).

To answer your question, I feel compelled to ask you a question. When did I ever claim to be a teacher? I imagine you're aware of the expression, "What happens when you assume?" Well, you see, assumptions will do two things. They will make an ass of you and umption.

Yes, weak response. But much better than that pitiful display of if-I-can't-out-wit-you-I'll-out-grammar-you response. But thanks for the lesson I'll not soon recover from.

Will that be all or do you have more for me?

Communist Smurf

Last edited by Communist Smurf on Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems strange that someone not into TEFL/TESOL is here on the ESL Cafe.

I have however got used to posters who can only see the world from the perspective of small-town Mid USA.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Seems strange that someone not into TEFL/TESOL is here on the ESL Cafe.

I have however got used to posters who can only see the world from the perspective of small-town Mid USA.

Is this another assumption? I think umption isn't going to like you anymore. I'm not from "small-town Mid USA (which appears to be your implication/assumption)."

I'm interested in Russia. Is there something wrong with that? There's a wealth of information on this site and I've learned a lot from the people here. I've visited many schools here (I was at one point interested in becoming a teacher) and I have connections many teachers don't, putting me in a position to contributing something other than sarcastic remarks.

So, tell me please, are you going to stop now or do you want to continue this pathetic rhetoric? I've been drinking for the past hour so I don't know how much longer I can stand to stay here.

Take this opportunity to stop now while you have some dignity and hope no one from the other forums will bother to read this thread. You may still have an audience elsewhere but you don't have one here in the Russia and CIS forum.

включи свои сьебата на 180 градусов и пиздуй отсюда.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you get a buzz out of getting pissed up and posting on this site.

Very mature !
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
So you get a buzz out of getting pissed up and posting on this site.

Very mature !

I'm sorry. I don't know what piss up is. I'm confused. Common sense leads me to believe that should you piss up, you're in for an unpleasant return.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course as an American you have only learned one variety of English so you would not know that "to get pissed up " means to get drunk.

I must apologise for having expected you to be aware of any other varieties of English.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I'm not sure if this is a comeback or you're trying to make pleasant coversation with someone you've recently insulted (and I'd like it to be clear that it was you that threw the first insult).

Should the former be true, I respond by saying I have no interest in discussing this topic with you.

Should the latter be true, that's a pretty weak comeback. Taking some obscure piece of knowledge to throw in my face is kind of like a Dungeons and Dragons nerd saying something like, "You didn't know that my fireball spell does more damage than your acid rain spell?!?! You're a disgrace to Harry Potter!" Who cares?

This is no longer fun and you're wasting my time. Each post you make here lowers my oppinion of you which I admittiedly used to have a decent one. If this is about "getting the last word in" then go ahead and get it over with. Reply with whatever you want and I won't say anything back so that you can save face in your own mind. Of course unless you come back with something with any content or wit then I'm more than willing to continue.
zaneth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've really lowered your standards Scot. Come on, you can do better than that.

by the way, serious question, not being sarcastic, have you been to Russia? I forget. I know you've been around quite a bit.

Smurf has a rather interesting perspective on things. Go back and read his previous posts and youi'll probably find much better things to throw in his face.

Here's hoping you get back into form soon.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaneth wrote:
Go back and read his previous posts and youi'll probably find much better things to throw in his face.

Care to throw something in my face or would you prefer to stay silent and imply you could come up with something good?

When I said I had a decent oppinion of Scot I wasn't being sarcastic (regarding his rhetorical ability). You on the other hand give me no concerns whatsoever.

Stand down, lad. You have nothing to say.
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone join in this punch-up/brawl? Very Happy
Actually I really appreciate the input of CS and zaneth on this forum .. we don't have too many people using it, it's not too active, and they've (you've) both contributed really usefully imho.

What I fear (well not very much, I'm leaving anyway, but for others' sake) is that we have a repeat of the rogan fiasco, where someone gets all offended and deletes all of their posts Shocked that was a pain back when I was trying to research visas and all that malarkey.

Come on guys, let's just call it a day. No broken bones as far as I can see Wink
Pyccak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: God's Own Country !? Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

I suppose anyone who chooses a name like "communist smurf" is probably not very bright. And I should remember that most Yanks are pretty low down the IQ ratings.

I must tell you that "communist smurf" is a pretty good name. In any case it is much, MUCH better than scot47. While I agree with you on America's general lack of awareness of the rest of the world, it certainly isn�t the case here. Quite frankly the US bashing is getting quite tiring.
zaneth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, easy, easy! I didn't mean anything bad. I'm on your side. I just thought Scot could be a bit more creative. You must admit, there are certain things about you (where you work) that a person bent on America bashing could more successfully, creatively, and entertainingly attack. And actually, I can think of several points where Scot might have some interesting points for discussion with you. I seem to remember you know Arabic? It's pretty lame of him to miss out. He's probably just having a bad day. In general, I'm a fan.

Interesting, so someone once deleted all their posts? I was thinking of dissappearing myself at one point, when I was concerned about my internet addiction (I'm over it now, really I am).

All the best to all you worthies who do hang out here in our little neck of the woods. I've never been involved in any arguments, punch ups, or flame wars here or anywhere else and I'm not about to start now.

Waxwing, where are you going?
zaneth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right, I remember now. Scot's busy extricating himself from Saudi. He's a bit distracted these days. Yikes. I don't envy those folks.

All the best, Scot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: