Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job benefits UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Italian-kiwi

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Job benefits UAE Reply with quote

Hi my husband and I are thinking of moving to Dubai with our two young kids from Italy. He works in finance and I'm doing a MAsters in tesol( I'm a native speaker with 8 years' experience). I heard from a recruitment site seek teachers that if he got a job I'd be a local hire without benefits (for esl teaching work in schools), but my two questions are... What if I got hired first???? Would I still get benefits? Then my husband would be a local hire. Or my next question... If my husband got a job without benefits (meaning schooling and housing etc) could I then get the benefits? I'm confused as to how it works in the UAE. Help!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benefits are always dependent on the job---the employer, so it's best to apply for positions that provide the type and level of benefits you need. If, however, only one of you gets employed, the non-working (sponsored) spouse would very likely be viewed as a local hire (i.e., minimal to no benefits) if employed in country. But it's also all about timing as well.
Italian-kiwi

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much nomad soul that was helpful. I was under the impression from the recruitment agency that if the WIFE was to get a job then the husband COULDN'T. But vice- versa was ok i.e husband gets work and wife can work.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italian-kiwi wrote:
Thanks so much nomad soul that was helpful. I was under the impression from the recruitment agency that if the WIFE was to get a job then the husband COULDN'T. But vice- versa was ok i.e husband gets work and wife can work.

Correction to my post: Apparently, he'd have to have his own labor card and be sponsored thru his employer if he initially comes over on your sponsorship. Do an Internet search on can wife sponsor husband uae and you'll find this explanation from various sources.
Italian-kiwi

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful advice, I looked that up on the internet. Very helpful!
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Job benefits UAE Reply with quote

Italian-kiwi wrote:
Hi my husband and I are thinking of moving to Dubai with our two young kids from Italy. He works in finance and I'm doing a MAsters in tesol( I'm a native speaker with 8 years' experience). I heard from a recruitment site seek teachers that if he got a job I'd be a local hire without benefits (for esl teaching work in schools), but my two questions are... What if I got hired first???? Would I still get benefits? Then my husband would be a local hire. Or my next question... If my husband got a job without benefits (meaning schooling and housing etc) could I then get the benefits? I'm confused as to how it works in the UAE. Help!

Go with the job your husband has now. It's the bird in the hand. If you do get a job in the UAE, there will be many factors, not just the local hire issue. Some schools will ONLY hire "local hires" with the intent of keeping recruitment and benefit costs down, plus they then have a "captive" market. For your last question, most places will give you the benefits, but you must sign that you are NOT receiving them from another source. I've also seen cases where a couple got benefits and housing from BOTH of their employers. Neither employer inquired into the spouse's status.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much depends on employers, but most are well aware of the opportunities for double dipping on benefits and make sure the people are not able to do it. The key is to look at what kind of employment package each of you is eligible to get. I suspect that since you haven't completed your MA, that he may be the one who can get the most. Then you would be local hire and only get salary.

My advice is don't expect to both get full benefits... that would be the exception, not the norm.

VS
Italian-kiwi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think we'll probably go with my husband's job and I'll try to look for a local hire. The important thing is education for my kids- I've heard that's a big chunk out of salaries. I'm thinking of trying the private international schools for work, with the hope that they'll give me two boys a place.
123Loto

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully your husband will get an education stipend? Pay attention to your job offers as a local hire. There seems to be a little bit of a trend to wrap up all of the stipends and bonuses into a base salary. This is bad for many people because after paying for their accommodation etc they end up with a lower salary. However, for people like yourself it can be an advantage as nobody is checking what your husband gets in the way of accommodation - you just get a slightly higher salary than you'd otherwise expect.

Keep in mind that many of the private international schools will pay less than the public schools.

By being in the process of getting your MA Tesol you may pick up a permanent position at a place like HCT Cert, working at International House or British Council... otherwise, working part-time is also possible.

These positions are largely about being in the right place at the right time. Your job prospects will go up once you complete the MA and you've done a couple of years teaching in the country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: