Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Guatemalans out there???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolita

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Any Guatemalans out there??? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondering if any Guatemalans can tell me if they are working in Spain. I wanted to know if you had to go through the same process as all non-EU people for jobs or if you were able to find work just like those who hold EU passports. I called the Spanish Consulate and they were not helpful and unclear.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ciao!
Frijolita
CharlesTESOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Guatemalan, but I have a friend here who is. Guatemalans, like any other non-EU citizens, have to go through the lengthy work permit process: get a job offer approved by the Spanish labor department first, then process the permit request thru the Spanish embassy in your home country or country of legal residence -- so, if you are a legal resident of the USA you could do it there. I believe the minimum amount of time the process takes is about 3 to 6 months. It took longer for me -- about 9 months! Another option might be to sign-up to study in Spain for a course lasting longer than 3 months, which could allow you to get a student visa, which MAY be processed a LITTLE quicker. I believe that with a student visa you would be able to work 20 hours a week. Of course, in order to get a legal job you'd probably need visa of more than 3 months, so it'd be best to take a course that lasts a year or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: