Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILBC Yangoon $2250 Contract suggetions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jijor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: ILBC Yangoon $2250 Contract suggetions Reply with quote

Hi all, I've was offered a contract at ILBC, Yangon today. I've noticed that some people have good experiences with them, and some people have bad experiences, but here's what they offered me. What do you think?

1) $2250 pm + $655 pm accommodation (They help find accommodation, or pay the 600,000 Kyat per month.)
2) Flight and visa reimbursed on arrival.
3) 10% of salary held up to $2250 (I get the $2250 back at end of contract - I think that might be worse than getting airfare back at end of contract...but if I get it back, it will be a nice payment of $4300 for my last paycheck.)
4) $50 pm transportation (no car offered.)
5) 35 hours a week
6) Paid flights and visas to Bangkok (do I still have to do this every 70 days? I really hate flying.)
7) Health club membership.
Cool 500 Kyat lunches
9) $250 bonus to renew contract.
10) Sounds like 5-6 weeks of paid vacation in the contract. 4 at end of contract, 10 days over Christmas, some time in October.

This is the part that confuses me:

In one part of the contract it says, "1. The return economy airfare will be reimbursed in installments on arrival in Yangon with the other half paid fully on successful completion of the contract when the teacher leaves ILBC employment permanently. The return airfare will be paid from Yangon to the place of origin of recruitment," and in another part it says, "On being accepted by the school, teachers will apply, and pay for their own visa and economy air fare to Yangon. These will be reimbursed on arrival at the school. "

So, what do you guys think? Any clarification on the last paragraph would be hopeful. Lastly, is Yangon as rough as it sounds? I've lived in Cambodia and Thailand before, so I'm not that worried, but tales of no-electricity and feverish blistering heat do worry me. I hate sitting in puddle of uncontrollable sweat!

Also, I've noticed that apartments outside of the city are much cheaper. Is it possible to buy a scooter or motorbike there? How much is it?
Thanks.
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lastly, is Yangon as rough as it sounds? I've lived in Cambodia and Thailand before, so I'm not that worried, but tales of no-electricity and feverish blistering heat do worry me. I hate sitting in puddle of uncontrollable sweat!

Depends on where you live and what standard of accomodation you live in.

Quote:
Also, I've noticed that apartments outside of the city are much cheaper.

Question

Quote:
Is it possible to buy a scooter or motorbike there?

No
jijor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Right Reply with quote

Thanks, I've already made up my mind.
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"35 hours a week": how many classroom hours?
tr3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently left ILBC in Mandalay. I butted heads a little bit with the man that is in charge of hiring, but all in all it was a good year and a good deal. 35 hours are how long you will be on campus each day (7 a day) with a max of 25 50 minute classes. I only taught 19 per week. They will always pay, so that should not be an issue.
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tr3 wrote:
I recently left ILBC in Mandalay. I butted heads a little bit with the man that is in charge of hiring, but all in all it was a good year and a good deal. 35 hours are how long you will be on campus each day (7 a day) with a max of 25 50 minute classes. I only taught 19 per week. They will always pay, so that should not be an issue.

yes indeed Laughing
That's a common theme at ILBC- you are lucky you were in Mandalay and not based at the Yangon campus where he resides....

Just do a google search of the school and you will get the picture.
I see another thread on Myanmar has had posts deleted-I guess because the school is an advertiser here.

Oh well....caveat emptor
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I understand the cost off living in Yangon is really expensive now... and accomodation is difficult to find. Just curious how one can save money on such a salary . I guess a large portion of your salary is used to rent a shared apartment or a shared teachers house (if lucky) in Yangon.. I understand from other teachers teaching there affording one' own private accomodation is out of the question. Smile
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- 'Western style' accomodation right now is horribly overpriced with the huge influx of foreigners to Myanmar.

Most schools give a housing allowance of $500-$700 which can rent you a half decent place in a reasonable neighbourhood.
Alternatively they provide(sometimes shared)accomodation in leiu of this.

I rented a modest,open plan unfurnished place across from Kandawgi lake for $300 just by hitting the street.
One year of rent up front of course- most schools will cover this.

It's entirely possible.

The mass construction of apartment buildings in Yangon will inevitably result in overbuild and price correction in the rental market but in my opinion will take at least 5 years to happen.

Meanwhile just enjoy those traffic jams Very Happy
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tr3 wrote:

Sounds like a good deal all around to me.

Any more info?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: