Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job standards falling to new lows
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
montblanc20

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit accidental double post

Last edited by montblanc20 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
Son then said they chose Filipinos instead of native speakers because of financial difficulties, citing a survey as saying that Filipino teachers asked for $2,000 per month compared to $5,000 charged by Australians and $10,000 charged by British.

As if the govt is actually going to do this because they truly believe this data. Why they even try to create a story is beyond me, if that is the best they can do. If they really wanted a believable story, they could have come up with something a lot more plausible. Maybe they could have cited the greater need for female teachers for younger students and how westerners are mostly men, at least that would have been somewhat believable.

Don't even bother to consider this story. This can not be true. Everyone knows that Filipinos are given much less than white foreign native speakers. And at the current time other native (white) teachers make much less than $2,000 a month for these govt school positions. This article is a PR attempt by those on the side of getting this funding to justify the money. But why is it in English? who was intended audience? The media often works here as a way to get someone's agenda across. Articles are paid for in cash, not because it is newsworthy. I would look at this as disinformation. Pay no attention whatsoever.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montblanc20 wrote:
It would be nice to know the actual budget allotment for a foreign teacher at a govt school or at a govt after school program. Is the money coming from kids' tuitions or does it come from the ministry? Hearing about plans for Filipino teachers to make $2000 a month makes me wonder how many people are getting money from the situation.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/pages/20121130-hcmc-schools-reluctant-about-hiring-filipinos-to-teach-english.aspx

I've refused several offers from Public Schools who have approached me directly, and, thusly, have never had one as a client. However, the way that I myself have heard is that the all the parents each pay a little bit for the cost of their sons and daughters having a Tay English Language teacher in their Public School.

A friend of mine here in The North who works for one of these Private English Language Centres that rents teachers out to the Public Schools sat down one day and did the math. The amount of cash remaining as profit AFTER ALL EXPENSES (yes, including bribes paid) that these centres get from these Public School contracts is absolutely stunning!
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school is keeping at least twice what they pay the teacher per hour, plus money collected from students' parents. Imagine all your salary and then some, each hour, and add parents contribution and multiply that by however many hours they have English at the school. This is a way that the public schools have been able to steal the market from the language institutes, and take the business for themselves. Since the service is provided by outsider- agents, many of whom are based in new institutes that sprung up for this purpose it is very shady indeed. Its the hugest scam imaginable.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make a short story long- there is a scandal in my country about something called the TFW- temporary foreign workers program. I wanted to learn more about the program since I have been asked during interviews about the job prospects of VN in Canada. I came across this forum- http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php/.

One thread was titled http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/what-are-the-survival-jobs-in-canada-that-can-be-found-at-first-t170616.0.html. That, IMHO is what an AMA, Cleverlearn whatever or any equivalent low paying position in VN is. It's a survival job.

You will need a work permit or at least the documentation required to get one to work at AMA next school year. No longer a survival job? Like working at a fast food empire in Canada.

It was potentially enlightening to read a forum for people from other countries working or looking for work in my country. Not sure how enlightened I became but your experience may vary. I recommend browsing it. I also recommend watching GoT and The Walking Dead.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
Yepper....

Brand new thing starting up here in The North (and, no doubt, coming to a Southern Community near you, soon!!!) -

Large private English Centres (READ: mills) who have paid bribes to local Departments of Education and Training in order to secure contracts to rent Tay instructors out to Public Middle and High Schools, ARE NOW (get THIS) beginning to link up with and utilise scam "charities" who get volunteers to pay them for an experience to volunteer abroad in a developing nation.

These kids are straight outta high school in Oz, U.K., U.S.A. Continental Europa (many aren't even native English speakers), wherever, and they first pay the "Charity" anywheres between $250 - $1000USD in *ahem* "program costs" and the "charity" then farms them out to the larger Private English Language Centres who have contracts with various public middle and high schools and these Centres pay these volunteers a "stipend" of 3 to 9 Million VND per month and these volunteering kids get sent to the Public Schools to teach for 20 classroom hours per week and are told that they are volunteering in Viet Nam's Public Schools so they can help make Viet Nam a better place.........

......MEANWHILE, the Private English Language Mill that is renting teachers to the Public Schools IS STILL BILLING the school at the same amount that they billed the public school at when they were supplying them with ACTUAL DEGREED AND CERTIFIED TEACHERS (not fresh-out-of-high-school-volunteers)!!

Newbies reallllly have to watch out for this scam -

If you get sent into a 45+ student public school classroom and the Centre or Agency that placed you there is paying you less than 330,000VND/$15USD per classroom hour, don't walk away - RUN.....as fast as you can!!

This was the deal a few years ago, up in North VN, my friend was teaching at a Uni... He was placed into the job out of HCMC by some language mill. Everything was fine at the Uni, said he was a good teacher, pat on the back etc.

Then 2 total newbies showed-up. They were a boy/girlfriend couple that had just done some TEFL course then they also paid thousands more to volunteer teach "Poor" VNese students.

My friend, with a CELTA and 5 years of exp. went from a good, solid teacher (in the eyes of the admin) to the worst teacher ever.

Why?

Oh, because the uni. still had a contract with the lingo mill in HCMC and had to keep paying the lingo school, which in turn employed my buddy.

Why do that, when some newbies just showed up, who actually paid some fake charity "agency" for the opportunity to VOLUNTEER for Room/Board at a uni raking in the $$$ from it's own language mill.
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenE wrote:
So are you saying $15 an hour is now not a wage to scoff at if it's offered? I'd walk out the room if someone offered me that and said other experienced teachers got it.

The most famous center in Dong Hoi City, Asemlink, pays less than ten bucks per hour and places restrictions on the foreign teacher's movement out-and-about town. Dig, the teacher CAN NOT go outside after 6pm and must live in a rat-infested room with no air conditioning or a working fan. The bathroom shower emits dark brown water and students steal the property of the foreign teacher. The Filipina who told me these stories ran away from Asemlink for these reasons and because the director would not stop sexually harassing her.The director's name is Phan Sy Thang ("Michael") and his female teacher from Banquiao City told me last year that he lost 500 thousands on the money markets and was going to be sent to gaol for owing more than 10 grand to the tax authorities in Quanh Binh Province. His character, she said, was really poor. A Dutch backpacker works there now and was buying lots of marihuana and a bit of opium from a local police official. The other center in town, which was started by one of Phan Sy Thang's former Vietnamese teachers, pays 6 dollars to Filipino backpacjers if there are not any Westerners willing to work for free. Asia's full of these scam schools. Asia's ecnomic development did not bring with it the development of Asians' morals. And this is most certainly going to be bad for the West when Asia takes over the world. We'll go into a kind of "Dark Age" and racial animosity between Westerners and Asians will be a reality. The future looks not good.
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
montblanc20 wrote:
It would be nice to know the actual budget allotment for a foreign teacher at a govt school or at a govt after school program. Is the money coming from kids' tuitions or does it come from the ministry? Hearing about plans for Filipino teachers to make $2000 a month makes me wonder how many people are getting money from the situation.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/pages/20121130-hcmc-schools-reluctant-about-hiring-filipinos-to-teach-english.aspx

I've refused several offers from Public Schools who have approached me directly, and, thusly, have never had one as a client. However, the way that I myself have heard is that the all the parents each pay a little bit for the cost of their sons and daughters having a Tay English Language teacher in their Public School.

A friend of mine here in The North who works for one of these Private English Language Centres that rents teachers out to the Public Schools sat down one day and did the math. The amount of cash remaining as profit AFTER ALL EXPENSES (yes, including bribes paid) that these centres get from these Public School contracts is absolutely stunning!

Asemlink's director in Dong Hoi is said to have set up one of these "charities" near Hanoi with a Guyanese-America guy named Tony Sunichara.
BenE

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dong Hoi is probably not on my list of places to go for worthwhile employment. There didn't seem to be much in the way of business around there unless you own a portion of the cave or a hotel for people who like caves. Other cities like Vinh and Thanh Hoa seem to have nicer stories coming from them.
BenE

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dong Hoi is probably not on my list of places to go for worthwhile employment. There didn't seem to be much in the way of business around there unless you own a portion of the cave or a hotel for people who like caves. Other cities like Vinh and Thanh Hoa seem to have nicer stories coming from them.
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenE wrote:

Funny you should refer to those 2 places as I spent days in each one of those cities. The uni in Thang Hoa City was said to be really bad place for IELTS instructors and Vinh City had some very scary posts on 2 forums about Ocenlink and Asemlink and Vinh University of Technology (non payment of salaries, shitty housing, no support from local staff, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: