Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place to live and work in Russia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Best place to live and work in Russia Reply with quote

Not been to Russia and wondered were posters on here think is the best place to live and work in Russia? I am guessing St Petersburg is a favorite.
JN

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it would depend upon what your criteria are. I'd probably go with Moscow or a couple of other cities where I have friends. I wouldn't choose Petersburg, but it does have wonderful European-style architecture.
teacher X

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we call all agree that Dzerzhinsk and Norilsk are the best places to live in Russia.
LAR1SSA

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best place to live and work in Russia Reply with quote

roywebcafe wrote:
Not been to Russia and wondered were posters on here think is the best place to live and work in Russia? I am guessing St Petersburg is a favorite.

Saint Petersburg is beautiful in terms of aesthetics but maybe not the best place to work. The cost of living is high, not as high as moscow of course, but relatively high compared to the salaries. You can make much more money in Moscow, and its more interesting for living I think. If you are not the big city type though steer clear from Moscow as it is a lot of hustle and bustle here. There is also far fewer jobs in Saint Pete as well.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above comment is Party-approved.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this true?? I google both and they sound badly polluted.

teacher X wrote:
I think we call all agree that Dzerzhinsk and Norilsk are the best places to live in Russia.
maruss

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: It's a wind-up! Reply with quote

Sorry about that Roy! Norilsk is probably one of the most unhealthy cities on the planet and most of the convicts who built it died in the process in the Stalin era, many of whom were also innocent! In any case it's once again 'off-limits' to non residents due to its valuable mineral plants which are considered as being of strategic value so it is most unlikely you will ever go there to teach English!
Dzerzhinsk near Nizhny Novgorod has poisonous chemical works and a similar low life expectancy to Norilsk!!There is also a small satellite town south-east of Moscow called Dherzhinsky which does not have the chemical works but is equally unattractive because it is near the Kapotnya oil refinery complex which is notorious for being one of the cities most polluted and unhealthy areas!
The best place to live in Russia-ask most Russians and they will probably say the south near the Black Sea and Caucasus but those who can afford to go abroad!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever about living, Moscow rules when it comes the sheer volume and range of work.

Come to Moscow!
maruss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Sasha is right once again! Reply with quote

Like it, love it or even hate it, there's no denying that the place has more of everything, both good and bad!
The secret is to get out before you start feeling the latter!!
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i am committed to St Petersburg now. Will be there in September unless WW3 breaks out. Got the accommodation situation to think about until then.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: St Petes. Reply with quote

I don't know anyone who went there and did not at least find it interesting and the scale everything is much more human than in Moscow. Just be ready for the very changeable climate though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: