Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offered a position in Interlomas at an elementary school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scratchpiece27

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Offered a position in Interlomas at an elementary school Reply with quote

I'm currently living in China and have been in Asia for the past 5 years. Now I'm considering moving to Mexico City for a change and to be closer to my family.

The school is located in Interlomas, which I'm not very familar with. From what I've gathered it's an upper middle class residential area. Can anyone shed some light on that area? I wanted to live in the city where I have access to a subway, but it sounds like it's about a 45-minute commute from my school to downtown.

The salary is 22,000 and work hours are from 7:45-2:20. I would get 2 weeks holiday for xmas, 2 for easter and the summer dates haven't been determined.

I would teach two classrooms each day, 6th grade. Language arts, science (hands on experiments) and social studies. Their lessons have a heavy emphasis on reading and discussion. Each class has 26 kids. The woman said I would be teaching the kids from 8-11, and then another 2.5 hours in the afternoon. Twice a week the students are sent to PE, music class and computers during those hours.

The school provides private health insurance and will match 5% of my contributions to... (I forget what it's called!) some type of retirement package?

To be honest the job sounds great. My main concern is living ''out in the sticks" if that's even the case. As I said, I want to enjoy the city life. Also, since it's an upper class area I'm wondering if I'll be able to save much of my paycheck

What are your thoughts?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Offered a position in Interlomas at an elementary school Reply with quote

scratchpiece27 wrote:
I'm currently living in China and have been in Asia for the past 5 years. Now I'm considering moving to Mexico City for a change and to be closer to my family.

The school is located in Interlomas, which I'm not very familar with. From what I've gathered it's an upper middle class residential area. Can anyone shed some light on that area? I wanted to live in the city where I have access to a subway, but it sounds like it's about a 45-minute commute from my school to downtown.

The salary is 22,000 and work hours are from 7:45-2:20. I would get 2 weeks holiday for xmas, 2 for easter and the summer dates haven't been determined.

I would teach two classrooms each day, 6th grade. Language arts, science (hands on experiments) and social studies. Their lessons have a heavy emphasis on reading and discussion. Each class has 26 kids. The woman said I would be teaching the kids from 8-11, and then another 2.5 hours in the afternoon. Twice a week the students are sent to PE, music class and computers during those hours.

The school provides private health insurance and will match 5% of my contributions to... (I forget what it's called!) some type of retirement package?

To be honest the job sounds great. My main concern is living ''out in the sticks" if that's even the case. As I said, I want to enjoy the city life. Also, since it's an upper class area I'm wondering if I'll be able to save much of my paycheck

What are your thoughts?

Interlomas is an upper middle class area, but it isn't the sticks...you're still close to everything in the city, though not walking distance. A 45 minute commute in this city is standard to go to anywhere from anywhere really...this is a huge place.

The working conditions and salary package you're offered are pretty standard as far as I can see. I think your biggest question should be on housing...are they offering assistance, a stipend, or a place to stay?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably won't find a place you can afford in that area, so you will have to commute from another area, most likely. I know that area fairly well, do you have the address of the school? If so, I might be able to tell you how hard/easy it is to get there. It's a decent package, and sounds like the workload is a little lighter than comparable places.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that type of job before. I would ask if there are management meetings, how often and for how long? Think about how much time that is that is added on your week. Is it worth it? Are there parent teacher meetings, how often and for how long, do you get paid for extra transportation to and from these 'after work' hours meetings?

How many extra activities are required by the school, do you get help covering transportation costs? Whats the late policy? Do you have to assist the kids getting into their parents cars after work? Don't laugh - I had to do it so I didn't actually get off work at 2:30, I got out more like 3:45 - 4:00 daily.

How often do you have to turn in the kids grades? Because grading is a huge pain with that many kids. How often do the kids get 'required' school or state tests? At my old school it was bi-monthly. And guess what you have to grade all those tests. I never had time to grade while on the clock it was always on my free time.

Ask how long your lunch is, do you actually get time to walk off school grounds or do they expect you to stay and watch the kids on your lunch break?

What about supplies, does the school provide supplies? My school provided few supplies then got mad when I didn't provide enough supplies from out of my own pocket. And my favorite - decorating the frecking boards in the room every single month. Does the school supply you with stuff to pin up on the boards or is it all out of pocket? Decorating those class boards can be a pain every month if you don't have time to do it on the clock.

Other questions that should probably be asked... Do you have to teach the kids a Christmas song, dance routine would you be in charge of costumes too? How long is this PE session the kids will be taking and how many days a week - this will control how long you actually have to work in the clock to get grading done.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
I did that type of job before. I would ask if there are management meetings, how often and for how long? Think about how much time that is that is added on your week. Is it worth it? Are there parent teacher meetings, how often and for how long, do you get paid for extra transportation to and from these 'after work' hours meetings?

How many extra activities are required by the school, do you get help covering transportation costs? Whats the late policy? Do you have to assist the kids getting into their parents cars after work? Don't laugh - I had to do it so I didn't actually get off work at 2:30, I got out more like 3:45 - 4:00 daily.

How often do you have to turn in the kids grades? Because grading is a huge pain with that many kids. How often do the kids get 'required' school or state tests? At my old school it was bi-monthly. And guess what you have to grade all those tests. I never had time to grade while on the clock it was always on my free time.

Ask how long your lunch is, do you actually get time to walk off school grounds or do they expect you to stay and watch the kids on your lunch break?

What about supplies, does the school provide supplies? My school provided few supplies then got mad when I didn't provide enough supplies from out of my own pocket. And my favorite - decorating the frecking boards in the room every single month. Does the school supply you with stuff to pin up on the boards or is it all out of pocket? Decorating those class boards can be a pain every month if you don't have time to do it on the clock.

Other questions that should probably be asked... Do you have to teach the kids a Christmas song, dance routine would you be in charge of costumes too? How long is this PE session the kids will be taking and how many days a week - this will control how long you actually have to work in the clock to get grading done.

Bravo! Finally an accurate job description of your average Mexican in-school teacher ~ except their day often begins at 7a.m. and their pay is closer to half.
You forgot to mention weekly lesson planning, mandatory education up-grading (for teachers), annual school science fair, sports day, student year end party organization... the list is endless.

What is it foreign teachers believe they are entitled to? Because a handful of foreign educators land a cushy job, one shouldn't expect it to be the norm.

I too "did that type of job" and for many years, for a lot less money, and loved it! Can't wait to get back.

D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: