Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Academy of New York Warsaw
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaaronr

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Academy of New York Warsaw Reply with quote

Hello all,

Anybody have any information on this school? Specifically, what is the client ratio kids to adults? Hours per week?

The pay is listed as 4000-7000 zloty. Is this livable in Warsaw?

I have a CELTA, MA ESL, MA Journalism, two years of teaching experience (community college), and 4 years of tutoring English/ESL at community college. I'm hoping the pay will be on the higher end for my qualifications.

Thanks,

Aaron in Arizona
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Are they providing you with accommodation? A few of the posters on this forum live there and might help you out with privates etc. Google the cost of living guides too. 7,000Zl is livable but I wouldn't want to do it long-term.

I was in Warsaw a couple of months ago, I used to live there, and while it's cheaper than London, it really isn't that cheap.

We had a Thai meal out for 3 (myself and 2 Poles) just off Nowy Swiat, 1 bottle of house wine, no desserts and only 2 starters to pick at and it came to 500Zl. I thought that was a lot!
Janek

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Are they providing you with accommodation? A few of the posters on this forum live there and might help you out with privates etc. Google the cost of living guides too. 7,000Zl is livable but I wouldn't want to do it long-term.

7000zl is perfectly fine in Warsaw for anyone vaguely sensible.

Quote:
We had a Thai meal out for 3 (myself and 2 Poles) just off Nowy Swiat, 1 bottle of house wine, no desserts and only 2 starters to pick at and it came to 500Zl. I thought that was a lot!

So you went to a restaurant in the centre of one of the richest cities in this part of the world, which was located "just off" one of the most prime pieces of real estate in Poland and you're surprised at the price?

Pay no attention to "dragonpiwo", his stories of spending on this forum are infamous for being exaggerated and not at all consistent with the real world. He has a history of posting exaggerated/made up prices in a desperate attempt to prove to himself that there's a reason why he spends 2/3rds of his life surrounded by moustached Arab men in the desert.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

7000zl is perfectly fine in Warsaw for anyone vaguely sensible.

Quote:

So you went to a restaurant in the centre of one of the richest cities in this part of the world, which was located "just off" one of the most prime pieces of real estate in Poland and you're surprised at the price?

Pay no attention to "dragonpiwo", his stories of spending on this forum are infamous for being exaggerated and not at all consistent with the real world. He has a history of posting exaggerated/made up prices in a desperate attempt to prove to himself that there's a reason why he spends 2/3rds of his life surrounded by moustached Arab men in the desert.

++

LMAO! Amazing.

Two Russian ladies and I had dinner a few months ago at the notoriously over-priced Hard Rock Cafe in Warsaw - barbeque, chicken pasta and fajitas with side orders, drinks (that you normally have with a meal) and two desserts ran less than 375.

Please don't take even THAT as a representative amount since a couple of months before that two other ladies and I enjoyed a reasonable meal across from Centrum with ke-bab, one beer, juices and a dessert for less than 125.

500.....too funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

IMHO 7,000 (if he gets that) minus accommodation isn't a great wage.

The place was called 'Papaya' go there Delph. Unremarkable in itself. I was there with the Finance Director of one of the large U.S. hotels in Warsaw and my fiancée. Just a quiet reunion-type meal out. Same sort of prices as Thai Thai in Sopot. The Intercon was 600 a night with a discount due to aforementioned friend.

Once again Delph comments on a place he's never himself actually been to. And, yawn, once again Delph brings up Libya. I like my job, my job fits our working lives very well and enables me to experience every aspect of life in Poland. I love swimming, it's my hobby (along with snorkeling) and I live next to one of the most pristine beaches (protected inside the vast company area) I've ever seen. I have a mixed social life here, eat , drink and like my students. However, I wouldn't recommend it to the uninitiated, most of whom will end up working for dodgy outfits, which I don't.

I do eat kebabs and I do have the odd parowka. Get over it, I don't live
like you all of the time. I certainly don't blow my dosh on grog, the odd splurge perhaps. However, I will ask you (the poster) to ask yourself this: Could I live in a big U.S. city on $2,000 minus rent happily? If the answer is yes, then you'll be fine.

We earn more than that top Zloty figure in Dollars a month and have a free car in Poland and other benefits like free private health insurance, phone etc, so I can afford to do what I want thanks. My life in Libya is free except for my car, which I bought. 10 (yes ten)Zl fills the tank!

Why Warsaw?

Last edited by dragonpiwo on Sat May 17, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: and.... Reply with quote

Delph, go to Hotelarnia, go to the Pelikan building, go to Papaya or Thai Thai and then comment.

Just stop commenting on places you've never been to. It isn't a measuring contest. However, if you want to make it one here goes.

1-I came to Poland in 1996 when did you?
2-I've been a qualified teacher since 1995 and you?
3-I save more than you make in a year AND raise a kid.

I've obviously done something wrong haven't I? What a fool I am!

I don't have to show off or prove myself to anyone here. I just relate facts and give opinions. There are those who comment on places they've never actually been to. There are those who ponced off the missus for a while. There are those who don't live adult life styles with the corresponding aspirations. I'm in my early 40's, have a kid, a new wife and a really good life and enjoy things that I didn't even consider when I first moved to Poland. For me, sharing a flat is not an option and neither is unreliable private work. Providing for my family is my primary concern. That's where I'm coming from.
Richfilth

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you told a Pole that you were having a hard time living on 7000PLN a month in Warsaw, they'd laugh you back to the airport. You can have a really good lifestyle here on that sort of money, even as a single person with no family here to support you financially. Many Poles raise a kid on a combined salary that's less than that.

Deduct your tax. This will probably be umowa o dzielo contract, so 10% - 700zl gone.

A flat, all bills and internet would cost you about 2000PLN for somewhere decent.

A monthly travel card for unlimited use of public transport would be about 100PLN.

A weekly supermarket shop where you bought as much meat as you wanted, a couple of bottle of booze and some decent cosmetics, will set you back around 3-400 - so 1200-1600 per month if you want to eat like a king.

Add on a premium healthcare policy (150zl) and you've still got a few thousand left in the bank to cover sick leave, holidays, clothes, or incredible nights out at Thai restaurants where you presumably order everything on the menu but still skip dessert.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richfilth wrote:
If you told a Pole that you were having a hard time living on 7000PLN a month in Warsaw, they'd laugh you back to the airport. You can have a really good lifestyle here on that sort of money, even as a single person with no family here to support you financially. Many Poles raise a kid on a combined salary that's less than that.

Deduct your tax. This will probably be umowa o dzielo contract, so 10% - 700zl gone.

A flat, all bills and internet would cost you about 2000PLN for somewhere decent.

A monthly travel card for unlimited use of public transport would be about 100PLN.

A weekly supermarket shop where you bought as much meat as you wanted, a couple of bottle of booze and some decent cosmetics, will set you back around 3-400 - so 1200-1600 per month if you want to eat like a king.

Add on a premium healthcare policy (150zl) and you've still got a few thousand left in the bank to cover sick leave, holidays, clothes, or incredible nights out at Thai restaurants where you presumably order everything on the menu but still skip dessert.

Yup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: so Reply with quote

So he needs to ask them if he gets paid 12 months of the year. He needs to ask them if he is 'allowed' to work for anyone else contractually. He needs to ask them if he's paying 10 or 20% tax and the ZUS.

In his personal life he needs to think about an annual trip home and how much that's going to cost. He also needs to set some goals whether they be financial or travel related or whatever.

He needs to be told that it's probably best to buy all his winter wardrobe back home and bring it.

He'll do well to get a decent flat for 2,000 Zl/month including bills IMHO.

All that said, the privates market is much much more robust in Warsaw than in a lot of other places.

Good luck to him whatever he decides to do.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
IMHO 7,000 (if he gets that) minus accommodation isn't a great wage.

Well no, it's a poor wage if you've got a desperate need to spend everything you've got. Most people however are more sensible and know that you can't use a restaurant just off Nowy Swiat as an example of how Poland is completely unaffordable for everyone.

Quote:
The place was called 'Papaya' go there Delph. Unremarkable in itself. I was there with the Finance Director of one of the large U.S. hotels in Warsaw and my fiancée. Just a quiet reunion-type meal out. Same sort of prices as Thai Thai in Sopot. The Intercon was 600 a night with a discount due to aforementioned friend.

The Intercontinental isn't exactly the kind of hotel where people stay on a routine basis using their own money. Incidentally, it's about 400zl for a stay tomorrow night, so yet again, they saw you coming. It seems to be a common story where you end up paying far more than the going rate for services - witness your infamous 500zl night out in one of Poznan's cheaper restaurants.

Quote:
Once again Delph comments on a place he's never himself actually been to. And, yawn, once again Delph brings up Libya. I like my job, my job fits our working lives very well and enables me to experience every aspect of life in Poland.

Some life if you only experience it for around 19 days every 9 weeks.

Quote:
I do eat kebabs and I do have the odd parowka. Get over it, I don't live like you all of the time. I certainly don't blow my dosh on grog, the odd splurge perhaps. However, I will ask you (the poster) to ask yourself this: Could I live in a big U.S. city on $2,000 minus rent happily? If the answer is yes, then you'll be fine.

How is a large US city comparable to Warsaw in any way? For a start, a 100zl travelcard is more than adequate if you live in the central areas, whereas it would be unthinkable in the US.

Quote:
We earn more than that top Zloty figure in Dollars a month and have a free car in Poland and other benefits like free private health insurance, phone etc, so I can afford to do what I want thanks. My life in Libya is free except for my car, which I bought. 10 (yes ten)Zl fills the tank!

You can't afford to do what you like, because at the end of the day, you spend 2/3rds of your life being kept behind a guarded fence, while spending 2/21sts travelling to/from said guarded compound. None of us are fooled on here - your life is essentially well paid in exchange for putting up with dangerous conditions in a dangerous part of the world.

See, the guy might only earn 5000zl a month, but at least he's free to go where he wants and do what he wants. Your life in a guarded sandpit pales in comparison.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Yet more piffle. We had an upgrade on the 34th floor. Our friend is the Finance Director, so we hardly got ripped off. Have you been on Groupon or Laterooms.com again? It was reduced from about 1k a night.

I like my job and it suits us and our goals. I'm older, have more outgoings and a family to support. Get that into your swede or go see a shrink.

I don't think 7,000Zl a month if that's what they actually offer him minus tax, zus, rent, bills, groceries, travel etc etc will give him much of a future in the long-run. Good for a short 1 to 2 year jolly. He'll find that missus. Good luck to him.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Yet more piffle. We had an upgrade on the 34th floor. Our friend is the Finance Director, so we hardly got ripped off. Have you been on Groupon or Laterooms.com again? It was reduced from about 1k a night.

I was on booking.com, which is somewhat of a standard place to book accommodation. And yes, they certainly saw you coming - they sell rooms for 400zl, yet you paid 600 with a "special price". No wonder you have so many problems in Poland when you blindly pay the first price going in a desperate attempt to impress.

And I'm not sure why you're insulting Groupon or Laterooms.com when you openly admit to flying budget airlines and eating in cheap restaurants.

Quote:
I like my job and it suits us and our goals. I'm older, have more outgoings and a family to support. Get that into your swede or go see a shrink.

I suppose it's the old story - spend it all when you're young and end up having to work in a sandpit when you're old. Meanwhile, those of us who don't have the 500zl nights out will be comfortable at the same age and won't have to explain to our partners why we have to keep the dangerous sandpit job.

Quote:
I don't think 7,000Zl a month if that's what they actually offer him minus tax, zus, rent, bills, groceries, travel etc etc will give him much of a future in the long-run. Good for a short 1 to 2 year jolly. He'll find that missus. Good luck to him.

He'll have much more of a future than someone who relies on working in a dangerous sandpit for his living. In case it escaped your attention, he has the papers and the background to actually do something with it.

What is it that makes you come on here and proclaim Poland to be unaffordable and so on? Is it the burning reality that you couldn't make it here and that you have to work in a downright horrible environment to make your way in life?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Are you on meds or summit?

I 'made it' in Poland. Aside from being a key writer for a national magazine, being a Cambridge Examiner, teaching at UAM and doing a lot of recording/TV recording work simultaneously, I also had a kid then. I made more then, than you make now, so stop blowing smoke up your own hole. Been there, done it and bought the t-shirt. I made a choice and it's worked out well for me.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: and... Reply with quote

Much more of a future Delph? I've got a full-time, weel paid job and have been here since 2004. I think that's pretty stable myself. What's more it's till I'm 65+ should I choose not to come and work in Poland again.

Go Google the top rooms in the Intercon and get back to me. Better still, go there. Since one of my missus' closest friends virtually runs the place, I'm sure we didn't actually get ripped off but you know better of course. Like you know better about racist Polish banking policies. The Poles I actually work with in the same office building have 'nay bother' with Visa Cards. Same contract, they earn less and have the same tax arrangements. We've spoken at length. Instability? Been here since 2004. Gloomy future? I think not. Own a flat and a half with no mortgage. Buying the next one in the very near future. My son also has a flat and he's 15. And stop banging on about 500Zl nights because that isn't even a night out. %,000Zl, now that's a night out.

Re the OP, I don't think anyone wants to be earning 1,400 quid a month in Europe in 2014. Get with the times. Better still, get a life instead of Googling one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: