Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan hourly rates
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bentanddisfunctional



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Taiwan hourly rates Reply with quote

I left Taiwan almost 15 years ago to head to greener pastures.

I see from the buxiban job ads that the hourly rate seems to be around NT600 sometimes less.
This was about the same or less than a bog standard job paid to a newly hired/graduated teacher back then Shocked

what keeps you there???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kurtz



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 408
Location: Off the beaten path

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible reasons might include;

Your usual Brad, Chad and Todd's of the world not caring too much about wages, or not being aware of wages not increasing as all they want to do is hook up with an hot Asian girl and have an adventure,

Long-termers moving onto better things,

Desperate people just looking for an easy dollar so they can put a roof over their head.

To give some context, may I ask what your current situation is? After 15 years, one would expect a high management position or a very high hourly rate.


Last edited by kurtz on Sat May 17, 2014 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spelunker



Joined: 03 Nov 2013
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: perhaps 1 third of each..... Reply with quote

Quote:
Your usual Brad, Chad and Todd's of the world not caring too much about wages, or not being aware of wages not increasing as all they want to do is hook up with an hot Asian girl and have an adventure,

Long-termers moving onto better things,

Desperate people just looking for an easy dollar so they can put a roof over their head.


I'd say about 33 percent of each, but yes, you are dead on the money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KaiFeng



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Posts: 88
Location: At the top of the food chain.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bentanddysfunctional's question is a good one, and one that I have marveled at as well. I worked in the ESL business for 15+ years and this is the standard career trajectory for long-timers:

1. Start out in cram schools.
2. Start to accumulate high-pay private gigs.
3. Start to accumulate high-pay corporate gigs.
4. Start to operate as a consultancy with many services (training, coaching, editing, etc.). By the late 90s I was charging NT$1500-NT$1600 an hour for corporate work, and doing editing and translation and writing work on the weekends. Life was great!

At least that's what I did. People who want to make more money migrate upscale professionally. As a result, cram schools can keep offering low salaries, since the best people leave and find more money elsewhere, and there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of low-end labor willing to pick up the slack for NT$600 or so an hour.


Last edited by KaiFeng on Sun May 18, 2014 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bentanddisfunctional



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To give some context, may I ask what your current situation is? After 15 years, one would expect a high management position or a very high hourly rate.


Sure-I cut my teaching teeth in Taiwan and had a great time.
Moved to teach in Macau,Cambodia,Laos before going home,studying for my PGCE(only 1 year) and more lucrative gigs at international schools in Vietnam and Myanmar.

Figured that if I was going to teach then may as well get paid properly for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spelunker



Joined: 03 Nov 2013
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: pgce? Reply with quote

Quote:
before going home,studying for my PGCE(only 1 year)


Which is only ok IF you have somewhere to call home, most FT's I met, even with degrees in China did not, I also know a bloke from Vietnam in the same boat.

A PGCE...not for me fella, done with studying in my 20's, professors tend to be arrogant know it alls, don't need to learn more from one, nor need to become one to teach english in China/Taiwan. A degree is MORE than enough and EXPERIENCE, and don't listen to anyone who tells you any different, they are full of S***e boy!! Nothing personal mind, end of story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kurtz



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 408
Location: Off the beaten path

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bentanddisfunctional wrote:
Quote:
To give some context, may I ask what your current situation is? After 15 years, one would expect a high management position or a very high hourly rate.


Sure-I cut my teaching teeth in Taiwan and had a great time.
Moved to teach in Macau,Cambodia,Laos before going home,studying for my PGCE(only 1 year) and more lucrative gigs at international schools in Vietnam and Myanmar.

Figured that if I was going to teach then may as well get paid properly for it.


Thanks for your reply.

Why do you assume that people who have been in Taiwan for 15 years are still earning entry level wages? What are "proper wages" in a place like Myanmar? It does seem a common theme in Asia though that entry level wages haven't gone up in a long time; I noticed that newbie jobs in Korea are still the same as 8 years ago.

You seem to be quite active in the Mynamar board; am I to assume you are earning $2500+/month as a qualified teacher? Forgive me, but your original post seemed to be that of a person looking down on others, hence my interest in your salary; no need to answer if you don't feel like it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spelunker



Joined: 03 Nov 2013
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: penny drops?? Reply with quote

Quote:
Forgive me, but your original post seemed to be that of a person looking down on others


Well said, but will the proverbial penny drop with the OP? Rolling Eyes Question Twisted Evil Laughing Surprised Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bentanddisfunctional



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

Why do you assume that people who have been in Taiwan for 15 years are still earning entry level wages? What are "proper wages" in a place like Myanmar? It does seem a common theme in Asia though that entry level wages haven't gone up in a long time; I noticed that newbie jobs in Korea are still the same as 8 years ago.

You seem to be quite active in the Mynamar board; am I to assume you are earning $2500+/month as a qualified teacher? Forgive me, but your original post seemed to be that of a person looking down on others, hence my interest in your salary; no need to answer if you don't feel like it.


No problem.
What does a longtermer pull in these days then?
Just interested-if they were decent I might look at relocating there myself-especially somewhere on the East coast.
Yes you're right about wage stagnation across
Asia.

Not looking down on others.
I've moved from Myanmar recently and incidentally the schools I worked for didn't require teaching certification but wages were in that bracket plus accomodation ofcourse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spelunker



Joined: 03 Nov 2013
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: curious? Reply with quote

Quote:
Not looking down on others.
I've moved from Myanmar recently and incidentally the schools I worked for didn't require teaching certification but wages were in that bracket plus accomodation ofcourse.


Fair enough to not looking down on others, perhaps I was a wee bit hasty there fella, forgive me:-)

Myanmar eh? What are wages like for a bloke with only a BA in English Lit. and TEFL....or is it like China where a milk bottle face takes you a long way Rolling Eyes Laughing Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bentanddisfunctional



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the last post in the Myanmar forum-that's ballpark.

Good luck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spelunker



Joined: 03 Nov 2013
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: ballpark? Reply with quote

Quote:
that's ballpark


Am I right in assuming this is some kind of septic tank slang related to a baseball stadium? For example an English saying would be, I'm in for the duration, perhaps relating to cricket, but also applicable to boozing?

either way, thanks for clarifying?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tudor



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 265

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ballpark? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Quote:
that's ballpark


Am I right in assuming this is some kind of septic tank slang related to a baseball stadium? For example an English saying would be, I'm in for the duration, perhaps relating to cricket, but also applicable to boozing?



No, it means "approximate" which a very quick Google search would have told you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spelunker



Joined: 03 Nov 2013
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: fair enough Reply with quote

Quote:
which a very quick Google search would have told you


Fair enough, but no need for cryptic messages and obscure slang. I am certainly not going to go searching around on google (spy tracking for one!) just to find out something that someone typed to confuse and mislead others. Direct communication in plain english is all I ask for. Nothing personal against the OP, but I am just tired of the "I know what I know, and I will keep it secret, and not share it with others" holier than thou attitudes of some of the posters in Taiwan on this very board.

Use google at your peril, boy, end of story!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tudor



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 265

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you haven't heard a phrase before doesn't make it cryptic or obscure - I'm not a "septic tank" but am quite familiar with the term "ballpark".

Perhaps you need to broaden your horizons...boy Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC