Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New ex-pat employment law
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary: cpmpletely agree with you. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to keep posting - much appreciated!

VeiledSentiment:

1.) The information posted is based on the reports in the media.
The labour law is a fact.

2.) Naturally, nobody has time to find _all_ the links, newspaper clippings, media statements and conference reports (i.e. last week by MOM on this issue) in addition to the targets for reduction of the expat labour force in every sector until 2020, and whatever else is relevant and put them into this discussion thread.
Unlike some people overseas, teachers in Oman have full-time jobs that keep us busy for a good 10-12 hours a day (f-2-f contact, preparation/ photocopying, marking, extra tuition, meetings, library duty, administrative duties, Quality Assurance exercises, College surveys, professional emails, phone calls, etc.)

3.) A 3 page long discussion thread indicates the amount of interest/ impact that the enforcement of this law has.
After all, this is a discussion forum.

4.) The enforcement of the law will commence on 1 July. After that, we will hear the effect of it in people's workplaces.

5.) Newbies - and old hands - need to be aware that this is happening so that

* they are forewarned
* can do their own research
* decide if coming to/ staying in Oman is the best option for them

The enforcement of the labour law has to be seen in the broader context, that is in combination with stricter alcohol controls, banning of life music and the current raids on Bachelor housing to understand the prevailing mood in the country namely curbing/ restricting the expat population, their movement and activities in Oman. Hence, discussion is necessary.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the 2 year outside the country between employer rule-along with the NOC may have been around unenforced for 25-30 years, the clause that is being introduced-that any sponsoring company shall 'forfeit' their rights to hire a replacement for the employee they have just released...is entirely new.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that if I leave, TATI can't replace me? TATI will remain one employee down? Cause that can't be right.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
MuscatGary: cpmpletely agree with you. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to keep posting - much appreciated!

You're welcome! Thank you.

The enforcement of the labour law has to be seen in the broader context, that is in combination with stricter alcohol controls, banning of life music and the current raids on Bachelor housing to understand the prevailing mood in the country namely curbing/ restricting the expat population, their movement and activities in Oman. Hence, discussion is necessary.

Quite and look at today's news:

Restrictions on where 'certain types of bachelors' can live - http://www.timesofoman.com/News/33945/Article-Bar-only-for-specific-types-of-bachelors-in-Oman

and restrictions on visas for females -

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/33944/Article-Curbs-on-hiring-female-expats-in-Oman-to-stay-in-place
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading that, I don't think it will apply to us. More likely, to the poor manual laborers. It seems like the gov't is less concerned with us having fun, and more concerned with exploiting these guys more. Qatar has been described as an open jail for subcontinent workers, and that Oman is better about these things is a significant reason I'm interested in living here.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Reading that, I don't think it will apply to us. More likely, to the poor manual laborers. It seems like the gov't is less concerned with us having fun, and more concerned with exploiting these guys more. Qatar has been described as an open jail for subcontinent workers, and that Oman is better about these things is a significant reason I'm interested in living here.

I think you may be right about the bachelor issue but not too sure about the female visa issue, that reads like its across the board.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

5.) Newbies - and old hands - need to be aware that this is happening so that

* they are forewarned
* can do their own research
* decide if coming to/ staying in Oman is the best option for them

Yes, people have the right to know the truth about what working in Oman is like. Everybody wins when teachers know that truth. The teachers win because they don't make the bad descisions taking jobs without knowing all the facts first can cause them to make. The schools win because they won't hire as many teachers who will be unhappy later and will likely quit before their contracts end. And the students win because they don't see teacher changes as frequently. At least this is theoretically true.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd reckon the women thing will apply to us. They can get men to teach. And they seem scared of women. Ergo, likely less visas offer to female teachers. Possibly none to those coming on their own.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd reckon the women thing will apply to us. They can get men to teach. And they seem scared of women. Ergo, likely less visas offer to female teachers. Possibly none to those coming on their own.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldegdar

Here's the catch 22:

Women can not bring their husband/children
Only husbands can bring their wife's / children

It's unfair and it's been in place for yonks
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MuscatGary!

Hopefully, this means that a lot of apartments will become vacant and as a result, landlords may have to lower their rents to find a tenant.

However, this might only happen in less attractive areas such as Ruwi and Ghubra and not in highly sought after areas such as Madinat Sultan Qaboos.

Housing has been extremely expensive and it's no wonder that people share accommodation to be able to save some of their hard earn money.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's development on the bachelor housing issue:

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/34007/Article-Muscat-Municipality-plans-separate-zone-for-expatriate-bachelors-in-Oman

So a sort of bachelor town!
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this - published 4th May (http://www.timesofoman.com/News/33359/Article-Law-banning-re-entry-of-former-staff-not-applicable-in-Oman-now)

'This is an unfortunate situation prevailing in Oman in recent years and many of the employers are concerned about it. Several owners of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) recently addressed a memorandum to the Oman Chamber of Commerce and Industry (OCCI) in which they demanded immediate re-application of Article (11) of the Expatriates' Residence Law in the country to prevent some unhealthy trends, like poaching, which have become prevalent in Oman's labour market of late. '

'Pressure is mounting on the authorities to reintroduce the ban and it is up to the concerned authorities to decide what corrective steps can be taken to prevent such unpalatable and unethical practices.'
CVN-76

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If I can't have you, nobody will."

Great. Now they're acting like a psycho girlfriend.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
pooroldedgar wrote:
Reading that, I don't think it will apply to us. More likely, to the poor manual laborers.

I think you may be right about the bachelor issue but not too sure about the female visa issue, that reads like its across the board.

I highly doubt that it has anything to do with tertiary education... this is mainly about jobs that local Omani women could fill.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: