Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICEAT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we could make it sound better, perhaps, if we called them "improperly documented aliens." Very Happy

Regards,
John
cultofpersonality

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new dean is trying to be a gamechanger. Don't worry...he will learn!
fledex

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ICEAT & KSU Reply with quote

Nabz1236 wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a further update was offered a job with ICEAT at KSU back in February when I attended an interview in London.

I have a BA Degree and just under 3 years teaching experience.

I have been waiting for M2R to issue me with the contract.

I have now been advised by ICEAT as there is a new Dean at KSU the requirements have changed.

They are now only accepting candidates with a Masters degree plus 5 years experience.

Somehow think that may change in time when ICEAT are unable to supply so many teachers with them requirements,

I contacted Education Experts who have advised they are still accepting a BA Degree with CELTA or TEFL plus 2 years experience minimum for KSU.

So i dont understand how it is different for ICEAT?

ICEAT have been trying to get another contract on their books but have so far failed like always.

Cheers

Nabz

Don't be fooled, both ICEAT and EDEX will take anyone that is the right gender to meet their needs and has a passport from a primarily English speaking country, as long as you apply at the right time: the time when they are desperate for teachers (usually late summer). You don't even have to speak English very well or have a BA. I've seen these kinds of teachers at Edex, and I know at least one with ICEAT that has fake docs. So if you really want to work for either of these contractors, just apply at the right time.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jammex88 wrote:
Betrayer of Hope wrote:
Majority of the folks have had bad experience with ICEAT. The only thing they are good at is paying their employees on time. Having said that, the only group of individuals who generally have benefited from being employed by ICEAT are teachers who were promoted to management positions at KSU. They are well looked after, and perhaps some of the senior teachers, the ones ICEAT first brought in many years ago.

Choose your master carefully!

Well, paying on time is a BIG plus considering one of the main reasons I would take this is for the money. The pay is 4 times what China is offering. For a one year appointment (11 months really) how bad can it be?

Have the bad experiences been mostly in terms of visas, working conditions? The stories on here seem to be mostly about visa processing.

Everybody says "do a direct hire don't go through a recruiter", but I really haven't seen that many jobs advertised directly by a university.

I work with a direct hire. I know from his stories that they have much more bureaucracy to trudge through than us contracted killers ooops teachers do. His only benefit is the two months holiday he gets instead of our one month one. His salary is actually the same as mine and he has a PhD! That says a lot right there about direct hires. It seems the university knows they are cutting out the middle man and adjusting the salaries for their direct hires accordingly. Yes you will have some sort of job security, but if you don't have a family with 100 children then direct hire is really not for you.

So it is written, so it is done.

G
Nabz1236

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: ICEAT Offer Reply with quote

So after ICEAT making me an employment offer at interview in London the offer is no longer applicable.

Due to the new Dean at KSU there minimum requirements are now a CELTA, PGCE and 3 years Experience. Where you only have a BA Degree and CELTA you need 5 years experience.

What i just dont understand is that Edex are giving conflicting information saying they are recruiting for KSU minimum requirements are BA degree + CELTA/TEFL and 2 years experience.

So how is it that the Dean has imposed one set of rules for ICEAT staff and one set of minimum requirements for EDEX staff?

What happens to the staff who are already been there for 2 years and dont have them qualifications will they get contract renewals?

A bit of a mess to be honest.
cultofpersonality

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably to do with contract negotiations Nabz. ICEAT talk a good game so I guess the Dean is asking them to satisfy these requirements. With Edex, you already know what you are getting and they are probably paying EdEx less, hence why the requirements are less. Looks like ICEAT's game plan out of the window. If you have a PGCE, why on earth would you need to get a CELTA? I have a PGCE and I refuse to do a CELTA unless it's very necessary...thankfully it isn't.
teachr11

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because ICEAT hires teachers for the science/medical PYP and Edex hires teachers for Humanities PYP.
hamzah83

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: ICEAT Accomodation Reply with quote

Hi, i have been offered a role with ICEAT at King Saud University in Royadh - can anybody describe what ICEAT's Accomodation is like that they provide to EFL Teachers. Is the accomodation on campus or other parts of Riyadh?
I.e. Is it like an apartment? hotel? Does it have Sattelite TV? or WIFI Access in the rooms? Are they all onsuite bathrooms?

I have been offered a role at ICEAT and still deciding on weather to accept it or not. But ideally wanted to know what the accomodation they provide is like.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ICEAT Accomodation Reply with quote

hamzah83 wrote:
I have been offered a role at ICEAT and still deciding on weather to accept it or not. But ideally wanted to know what the accomodation they provide is like.

That's a question to ask ICEAT since living situations could change depending on their need. Anyway, are you male or female?
hamzah83

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: ICEAT Accomodation Reply with quote

Hi, i am Male.

Well ICEAT all they say is that Private accomodation will be provided. Its really hard to get in touch with ICEAT as im dealing with them via another recruiters so i cant ask them directly.

All i was interested is what others experience with ICEAT was in regards to the accommodation they provided for EFL teachers in the past. Can anybody help or at least describe their accommodation provided by ICEAT? i.e. Satellite TV? WIFI? Private bathroom? Located on Campus or not?

Have received an offer as an EFL teachers with ICEAT at KSU.

Also do they normally provide IQAMAS?
CANDLES

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Male- you will be given a choice: either get a private apartment or stay in a hotel apartment similar to the women.

2) You can deal directly with ICEAT if you want to - no problem.

3) Accommodation: 1 bedroom/1 lounge/1 kitchen with 2 hot plates, a fridge, a microwave, a decrepit washing that's not plumbed in. TV with 6 channels BBC/Al Jeezera/Saudi channels/ MBC1/2/3/4 and some Indian channels plus if the satellite dish is working then if you are lucky couple of other channels like Fox/French channel & others...
Not on campus, but out in the sticks! WIFI, yes if the connection doesn't go down .....

4) ICEAT will get you the Iqama- have to provide it -part of the contract.

Hope that's useful. Cool
habasambi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have information on living accommodations for ICEAT single Female employees?
nickwils

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the male version last night.

Two question about housing.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See above for female accommodation.....

5 minutes away from Granada Mall by taxi (obviously) Very Happy

As for ICEAT-might have changed their attitude!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited a couple of my friends who were housed in the dreary Sahara Hotel Apartments from 2011-12. It was about a 5-minute ride from Granada Mall. One referred to her room as the dungeon even though it wasn't on the bottom floor. (I turned down their offer to stay the night there and instead, took a room at a nice hotel.) My friends said it took nearly an hour to travel to/from KSU each day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: