Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cohabiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Cohabiting Reply with quote

Hi all,

I may be moving to Malaysia to train teachers. I would like to know if it's ok for unmarried couples to live together? I'm British and my g/f is Filipina.
adaruby

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your missus isn't a Muslim, it's not a problem.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscat Gary we hardly knew ye. Glad to see you're getting out of dodge. Definitely a move up on the world.

I knew lots of (non-Muslim) co-habitating couples.You'll be fine. You might get a few odd looks, but no issues legally.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations MuscatGary!

Hope you stay in touch and let us know how you're going.
What company are you with? British Council, Brighton Education, CfBT, SMR?

Living together is no real issue in Malaysia - especially in Kuala Lumpur - although it pays to be a bit more careful in the more conservative states of Kelantan and Terrenganu.

Best to say that you are married and wear matching rings to make the point. Better safe than sorry.
SMR ELT

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Co-habiting Reply with quote

I concur with the points given above - but one aspect that does need to be addressed is that whilst one of the couple may be given a work visa for the duration of their employment, the partner is NOT entitled to apply for a dependent's visa on the basis of partnership.

The only way that this can be done is by the couple obtaining letters from their embassies (if both from the same country then one letter should suffice) and that letter must declare that according to the laws of their respective lands that the couple are in a legal 'common law' relationship.

Only when these have been obtained can the sponsoring company obtain the appropriate dependency visa. Without it, the partner will only be entitled to a holiday visa which is usually 90 days, but for some countries can be much less and is not always automatically renewed.

Since the beginning of our project we have been successful in obtaining dependency visas based on these requirements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: