Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Certificate vs. Experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MO39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: TEFL Certificate vs. Experience Reply with quote

I have many years of experience teaching ESL and EFL to adults and university students in my home country (the United States) and overseas. I also have a B.S.ed. in Spanish and an M.A. in Spanish but never got around to getting a degree or certificate in TEFL. Would I have trouble getting work in Madrid at good language schools without the certificate? I wouldn't mind doing the work for a certificate and learning more about recent developments in methodology as I haven't taught in a classroom since 1990. But I am not rolling in cash these days and would have to postpone moving to Spain if I decide to take a TEFL course.

PLease advise!

MO
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don�t have an EFL teaching qualification and you haven�t taught for 14 years.

Hmm... Rolling Eyes
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention work permit issues - you didn't mention if you've got a citizenship other than from the US, but if not, your qualifications are rather a moot point anyway. The "good" schools aren't going to hire anyone who isn't eligible for legal working permits.
MO39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the first response, I am living in Mexico for the summer and have been offered a couple of teaching positions at reputable schools, in spite of my lack of a TEFL certificate and recent experience. Regarding the second response, there are many messages on this board which relate that Americans and others without work permits find employment as English teachers in Spain as easily as those with EU passports.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-EU citizens find work in Spain "as easily as those with EU passports?"
Shocked
Break a leg, dude.
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to your response to my response, that might be true for Mexico. Spain is a different country.

In response to your response to the second response, if you have all that information and believe it to be true, why are you asking for more information? Confused
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you but remember not all cowboys wear Stetsons. You will not be allowed to work in schools registered with ACADA. In my experience the only Americans at these schools were qualified and married to Europeans. If one dared to employ you then might find your colleagues, many of whom will be members of the CCOO, might not want to work with you.

You are right, illegal workers can find work as easily as qualified EU citizens. It's just the type of work that is the problem. If you want to work uninsured, without a contract on lower than low pay and with no rights then go ahead - there's plenty of work.

These are two extremes and there are all shades of standards in between but I can assure you that there will be proportionately many more working in the first type who are qualified and EU citizens than in the second type where unqualified non-EU citizens are more likely to be found.

Of course the best scenario is get qualified, get EU citizenship, pass the oposiciones and get a job in the state sector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: