Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accepting Multiple Positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas ESL Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Accepting Multiple Positions Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I was at the ESL conference in Portland recently and interviewed. After receiving a few offers, I was worried about what may come once they were to either look into my dark past or my medical history.

I accepted jobs in a country starting with B and another with U, which are both in the GCC. The one is not a great position, but does not require much soul-searching into my past. The other is a better position, but they may look more deeply. I thought it would be a cute idea to accept both offers as they are in different countries. That way, if something went wrong in one, I could use the other as a back-up plan.

Swell thinking, right? Not exactly the greatest example of professionalism, but I thought it was worth the gamble.

Now I am wondering if it was a mistake. In both countries they have started the visa process and to both I have provided documents. Does the GCC group share immigration information with each other? Do the people in B know what I have applied for in U?

I scoured the forums this weekend for anyone in a similar situation. I didn't find anything. I'm actually a bit shocked - I figured more people would have tried to pull this stunt. I just really want to get out of the ole' U S of A these days, so I want to be sure of a job.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Accepting Multiple Positions Reply with quote

Texas ESL Guy wrote:
Swell thinking, right? Not exactly the greatest example of professionalism, but I thought it was worth the gamble.

Now I am wondering if it was a mistake. In both countries they have started the visa process and to both I have provided documents. Does the GCC group share immigration information with each other? Do the people in B know what I have applied for in U?

I scoured the forums this weekend for anyone in a similar situation. I didn't find anything. I'm actually a bit shocked - I figured more people would have tried to pull this stunt. I just really want to get out of the ole' U S of A these days, so I want to be sure of a job.

Oops! Probably not the best strategy. Info isn't shared between the GCC; however, you need to decide which position you definitely want and let the other employer know asap so that they can stop their visa process. And don't expect to apply with that employer again any time in the distant future.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP seems to believe that "Dishonesty is the best policy." His transgressions will catch up with hjm and bite him on the A S S !
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, going through one country's visa process is enough---doing two visa processes simultaneously will make your head spin. Shocked
tmac-100

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The OP seems to believe that "Dishonesty is the best policy." His transgressions will catch up with hjm and bite him on the A S S !

Under the topic of "Two wrongs does not = a right" I noticed recently that a recruiter for a Saudi Uni offered a "job" or "position" to a person and then after accepting, that person NEVER heard from the recruiter again... Evil or Very Mad

Seems like (in the opinion of the OP of that thread) that two persons were offered the same job and then the first that applied got it.... So much for the "western"concept of integrity Rolling Eyes

Concerned about an applicant's honesty/personal integrity are we??? Why in the world would that behaviour "be exercised"when there are bottom feeders in the recruitment sector and in the employment sector as well - I mean signing a contract and THEN lowering wages and benefits... yadda. Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmac-100:

That private Saudi university in the thread you're referencing has had a lousy reputation for years---even as a direct-hire employer; the OP admitted he/she should have done some research on that university. But in no way does that describe everyone's experience with their GCC employer. Besides, there's the good, bad, and oogly in terms of employment in just about every country, which is why it's important for job seekers to do their research on the recruiter, the employer, and the country culture before sending off their CVs. Frankly, if an employer is a known bottom feeder, then why would you still eagerly send them your CV?

I have an idea which two employers this OP got offers from; both are decent opportunities, so there was no reason for him to "pull this stunt," as he put it. (But hey, he did hint about his dark past and medical history.) It's just odd that he was shocked to find a lack of forum threads with others claiming to have used this same tactic. Anyway, I hope it works out for him, although he needs to think about the reality of living and working in another culture as more than an escape out of the US.
Texas ESL Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been overseas in a number of places like many ESL'ers. I've seen the run-around in the ESL industry from both sides and in a number of places too.

Having read the forums and spoke to folks at the conference I have heard that all kinds of crap can happen. So, I took a path I don't usually take. I figured people would jump on me and for good reason.

Only lookin' for info, kind people.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Accepting Multiple Positions Reply with quote

Texas ESL Guy wrote:

Yes... unprofessional, but you aren't the first. Not even the first to discuss it here. It is perhaps even sensible with the bottom tier of employers because as mentioned, they can back out on you too.

But, they won't be comparing notes and know that you have applied in two countries.

Quote:
I was worried about what may come once they were to either look into my dark past or my medical history.

Now, if this is a serious comment... the better the employer, the more likely they are to find out about something you may wish to hide. But my advice is to not discuss the details here publicly and you will probably have to just wait and see how it plays out.

Just don't string them both along for so long that you make it difficult for them to hire your replacement. That would be doubly unprofessional.

VS
tmac-100

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, VS, you certainly nailed the employment scene with: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Errors and stupid mistakes on both sides - and everywhere - and also in our home "and native land". Thanks for the reminder...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: