Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are some of the qualifications to getting a decent job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alkhan004

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: What are some of the qualifications to getting a decent job Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I was just wondering, what are some qualification to getting a good or a decent job in Gulf region (especially Saudi) for a starter Question Question Question

I am from Toronto, Canada. I was not born here but I came to Canada at a very early stage of my life. I can speak English very good. I do not really have an accent and sound like a native speaker.

At the current moment, I am a full-time student at the University of Toronto doing double major in English and History (in campus classes only), and on the side, I am doing an online TESL certification with University of Toronto. Also, am going to be doing a Masters in English afterwards.

However, I do not have any teaching experience or most likely not have any till the completion of my BA.

Not to forget, I am married and have 3 kids.

Having read my above description. What are the likely hood of me getting good or a decent job in Gulf region (especially Saudi) for a starter Question Question Question

How much would my salaries be, would they give me accommodation, transportation and other perks Question Question Question

Could I get a job teaching English in a university Question

P.S. Does it matters, in terms of salary that I am going to the best University in Canada Question Question It is ranked as top 18 university in the world Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Canada+universities+slip+2014+world+rankings/9583011/story.html

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What are some of the qualifications to getting a decent Reply with quote

Frankly, it's way too early for you to be thinking about teaching in this region; you'll need several years of teaching experience (preferably at the university level) after you finish your BA. Also, be aware an online TEFL cert isn't accepted in this region and university rankings don't matter.

Even with experience, a BA may only get you lukewarm offers (mediocre salary and bachelor-status benefits) from contracting companies and not from the better direct-hire positions in Saudi Arabia that want to see a relevant master's degree. That's key for someone expecting to support a family of five. Anyway, the following is from a job ad for a direct-hire position at a Saudi uni and is typical of requirements needed:
    Successful applicants will have a Master's degree in TESL/TEFL, Applied Linguistics or a closely related field, and two years' minimum teaching experience at the university level. The position also requires applicants to be comfortable using the computer and online materials as well as have cross-cultural and social competence skills and flexibility. Overseas teaching experience in EFL is a plus.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will also need to be much more carefful with your written English no matter where you apply to, it indicates non-native to me instantly.
tmac-100

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
You will also need to be much more carefful with your written English no matter where you apply to, it indicates non-native to me instantly.

Interesting comment. However, that observation does not mean much w.r.t. being a native speaker...

In graduate school in Minnesota I remember a full professor speaking with a student about a research proposal. He read out a paragraph and then asked the student what was meant by that paragraph. The student could not explain what was written and the prof didn't understand (what the student wrote) either. Native-born too. Both of them.
eslteacher2014

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alkhan

I'm an american currently doing my first teaching job in saudi. After my b.a i did my m.a in secondary education with an emphasis in TESOl. I got an immediate direct hire position in a college in Riyadh. This is my first job.

But with an m.a you should be able to get a job offer immediately. And defiantly with an m.a the salary is better and you can move up and get a better job with time.

Hower like most professions you sometimes have to start off at the bottom and work your way up.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And defiantly with an m.a the salary is better

Defiantly? I thought it was standard that a related MA leads to higher salaries in most cases. Definitely thought so!
alkhan004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslteacher2014 wrote:
Alkhan

I'm an american currently doing my first teaching job in saudi. After my b.a i did my m.a in secondary education with an emphasis in TESOl. I got an immediate direct hire position in a college in Riyadh. This is my first job.

But with an m.a you should be able to get a job offer immediately. And defiantly with an m.a the salary is better and you can move up and get a better job with time.

Hower like most professions you sometimes have to start off at the bottom and work your way up.

Hey, thanks a lot for that replay. I really appreciated. Yes, you are right, in the beginning a new teacher has to start out from the bottom and work their way up.

After completing my B.A. I will go on to doing my Masters. Here in Canada, I looked at many universities and they are offering Masters degree in duration of 1-2 years length. However, what would you (other members of this forum) think would be an ideal Masters' degree to do for a teaching job in Saudi Arabia; English, Education, MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics ?
Also, for a person with a Master's degree, what range of salary can he or she expect in the beginning ?

Thank you in advance.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alkhan004 wrote:
After completing my B.A. I will go on to doing my Masters. Here in Canada, I looked at many universities and they are offering Masters degree in duration of 1-2 years length. However, what would you (other members of this forum) think would be an ideal Masters' degree to do for a teaching job in Saudi Arabia; English, Education, MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics ?

An MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics is the standard. If you pursue an MA in TESOL, try to find a program that includes a practicum since your online TEFL cert won't be accepted; otherwise, do a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL once you finish your BA.

and wrote:
Also, for a person with a Master's degree, what range of salary can he or she expect in the beginning ?

Again, you're jumping the gun since you haven't yet completed your BA. Also, salaries are based on a variety of factors---full-time, paid teaching experience being one of them, which you'll lack if you immediately enroll in a master's program after finishing your BA. And since employers will perceive you as a non-native speaker with an MA but no experience, your first teaching job will likely be with a Saudi contracting company and not in one of the better direct-hire situations. That equates to so-so pay and benefits that won't be enough to support you, a wife, and three children. Anyway, you can get an idea of salaries, qualifications and such from the many postings on the Cafe's job board; most of the ads are with contracting companies.
alkhan004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your replay. Reply with quote

Thank you for you replay. No, I am not jumping the gun (again). I just am doing research. I just want to find out as much as details as I can before doing my masters and I am not that far away from completing my BA. Yes, I am planning to get job experience before applying for a job.

I am just asking all these questions to get a better grasps on what to do in the future.
eslteacher2014

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alot of factors that come to play when determining salaries. Things to cconsider are degrees work experience and how much money the school has.

b.a with experience MIGHT get 10000 10500 SAR amonth (base salary)
m.a ENTRY LEVEL might get 10800 -11800 SAR a month(base salary)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for your replay. Reply with quote

alkhan004 wrote:
Thank you for you replay.

Check on the meaning of "replay" because you did this twice. You mean "reply."

VS
(old writing teachers never really retire. Liked the defiantly/definitely error too...spell check isn't always your friend... Laughing)
alkhan004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for your replay. Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
alkhan004 wrote:
Thank you for you replay.

Check on the meaning of "replay" because you did this twice. You mean "reply."

VS
(old writing teachers never really retire. Liked the defiantly/definitely error too...spell check isn't always your friend... Laughing)

LOL, you are right. I did not really realize it. replay and reply are two different things. I was in a rush. LOL
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is a good pathway degree. You'll go far in teaching ESL in foreign countries. However there are two problems you have. One is you will need 3 years teaching experience before you get any job here in KSA, and probably 5 years to land a direct hire job or any kind of a better paying job in Saudi. The second problem is the salaries and quality of housing are decreasing here as time passes. I think it is best for you to seek licensure in your country and start shooting for good quality International Schools. A good quality International School typically requires 5 years teaching after licensure in your home country.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumpy Nut is referring to teaching children and not adults, which is another option if that's of interest to you. However, depending on the country demographics and/or teaching situation, teaching English in an international school doesn't always equate to teaching ESOL. For example, I'm a native speaker who attended a year at a American private international school in Taiwan as a child (US military dependent). The American curriculum ensured a continuation of my US education; my teachers were all licensed and taught content (e.g., math, history, social studies, reading & composition, art, etc.) and not ESL/EFL since the students all spoke English as a first language. But that's not the case in every country---some international schools employ licensed or unlicensed teachers to English language.

For more on the types of qualifications and teaching situations, check out Teach Away's site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: