Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The job market in Jakarta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrbrugby

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: The job market in Jakarta Reply with quote

I have taught in Jakarta before and I am currently teaching in Bangkok. I have also taught in Taiwan. My first ESL job was in Jakarta with EF and while I had an amazing year I left to go to Taipei to a better paying job. I would like to return to Jakarta but would prefer to work in an international school or at least somewhere paying significantly more than EF's 9.2 million in 2010. My current salary works out around 2000 US dollars a month so something in that region would be nice but I'm not sure if expecting that with my qualifications is realistic. I'm just hoping to get some feedback from you guys living in Jakarta at the moment.

I have a BA in history and a CELTA, so I'm aware that I don't meet the government requirements in terms of an English degree but I can't imagine that these are anything more than a way to make money from extracting bribes. I know a couple of teachers living and working in Jakarta that are similarly qualified to me but have managed to land jobs at international schools with degrees in things like politics and CELTAs. So I guess I have a few questions I was hoping some of you guys could answer:

1. My contract ends in April 2015 so I have a long time before I can actually start applying. Do I need to be in Jakarta to attend face to face interviews or is it possible to land a job at an international school via the internet?

2. A lot of schools ask you to send details of salary expectations, so what would be a ball park figure to ask for with five years post-CELTA experience?

3. A couple of my friends receive their salary in Australian or US dollars how common is it to get a non-rupiah based salary?

4. Ultimately I will ask my friends to pass my CV on to their schools to aid me in my job search but if there aren't any positions available within their schools would arriving at the start of May give me enough time to find work in time for the new school year in July?

5. Do schools start recruiting for the new school year in January as I've heard or does it just vary from school to school?

I appreciate that these are massive questions which don't necessarily have simple answers but would just like the opinion of people currently working there. Thanks in advance for reading this far and look forward to your input.
jef dam

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Intl Schools / Nat+ generally know their staffing requirements for the coming academic year around March and usually start recruiting around then. Saying that, there's no harm in sticking CVs in early so as to be at the top of the pile. Bear in mind that not all Intl schools operate on the same academic calendar. Broadly speaking the schools attached to foreign embassies have their schedules in line with their own country's. I'd take it as given that you'd need to do a demo lesson for any school you apply for.

2) Yes, but they expect you to negotiate. Aim higher than you want and you'll usually land in or around your expectations. You never know, they might even give you what you initially ask for. Ka-ching! Depending on how close you are to them you might ask your friends in Jakarta what they earn in oder to get a ball-park figure. If they're in half decent Intl schools I'd expect it to be 25+.

3) Usually it's the embassy attached schools that pay USD. I know for a fact that the Japanese and Taiwanese schools do, and I'm fairly sure the Korean school does also, although don't quote me on that!

4) I wouldn't rule it out but you'd be cutting it close.

5) See answer #1.

Best of luck in your search.
lrbrugby

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok awesome, that helps a lot. It's still about 11 months away so I have plenty of time to get a head start. I'm just thinking about it now as changing countries and not working for months can get quite expensive so I should have time to save and hopefully plan it well.

I will have time off almost immediately before I'm looking to move so should be possible to make myself available for a demo lesson providing I can agree with prospective employers to perform a demo lesson in my time off once the end of term dates in my current job have been confirmed that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: