Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Univ. of Nizwa - strict about 8 A.M. - 4 P.M. policy??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulku9

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Univ. of Nizwa - strict about 8 A.M. - 4 P.M. policy?? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am considering an ESL position at UNizwa and I am wondering how strict they are about the 8 to 4 policy stated in the FI standards booklet. Thanks in advance for all the help.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend there. I'm gather they're pretty strict about it. In fact, I gather they're pretty strict about everything.

I'm always surprised more teachers aren't upset about these policies. It strikes me as remarkably disrespectful. We aren't talking office hours, we're talking some sort of weird control fetish. Especially making teachers come in during the holidays as if they're regular work days. Myself, I used to be a tad more worked up about it, until I realized that as long as I only punch in, but never out, I can essentially come and go when I please.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
I have a friend there. I'm gather they're pretty strict about it. In fact, I gather they're pretty strict about everything.

I'm always surprised more teachers aren't upset about these policies. It strikes me as remarkably disrespectful. We aren't talking office hours, we're talking some sort of weird control fetish. Especially making teachers come in during the holidays as if they're regular work days. Myself, I used to be a tad more worked up about it, until I realized that as long as I only punch in, but never out, I can essentially come and go when I please.

Where do you have to punch in? We don't have that although the admin staff have to do so.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that they are as this is very common in the Gulf universities. In fact, I would say that these days it is the norm to spend 30-40 hours pretending to be busy at the facility, and pretty much has been for the last 25 years. At least nowadays you have the internet to fill the time... once in awhile once encounters a sensible manager, but not that often.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat warming is a fact of life and the 8 hours at your desk for staff - even if the students are on holidays - is a reality in my work place.

Management does regular checks around the offices, even going so far as to check the desk. All under the pre-text of "Quality Assurance".

Some teachers have been known to sneak out and got caught or dobbed in by their colleagues. The result was a warning.

The enforced desk time is an opportunity to contribute to Dave's, look for a new job, book some trips overseas, catch up with friends electronically, etc.

One of my colleagues is doing a Masters degree online/ distance education which isn't a bad way to spend that time either.

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
Seat warming is a fact of life and the 8 hours at your desk for staff - even if the students are on holidays - is a reality in my work place.

That's typical when working for a contracting company. In other words, the more hours the employee works, the more money the company makes as a middleman.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Whatever will be wrote:

That's typical when working for a contracting company. In other words, the more hours the employee works, the more money the company makes as a middleman.

Also common with direct hire universities in Kuwait, Oman, and the UAE. The only employer that I worked for that didn't was AUCairo.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no consistency on this, some colleges apply it and some don't, it all depends on how much the managers feel the need to control the teachers. It's also applied partially, some teachers don't have to abide by the rules and others do, it depends on whether your face fits and how much you're prepared to kiss ****. I've known teachers who have used the dead time to do Masters degrees, Deltas and even PhD's. Some use the time, and the facilities, to prepare for privates. I've used it to write two books.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if the face fitted then anything could be done, if not, then ..... more fools us! Twisted Evil
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys. I recently was divorced from a job in Turkey where the teachers were expected to remain on school grounds for about 9 hours a day. One could not leave without permission from the DOS, and there were plenty of eyes, both human and electronic, to ensure teachers complied. It was like working at a gulag, really, as teachers were controlled there, both native Turks and westerners. The salary? It was maybe 40% (at best) of what you guys in Oman are making. The cherry on top was the fact the same conditions one will commonly see in Oman--students with family power getting teachers fired, students being allowed to cheat on exams by the higher-ups, students being disrespectful and disruptive in classes, students with little or even no ability in classes they aren't qualified for--were just starting to sprout there. It was becoming little Muscat at much less the salary. At least you'll have some decent coin saved after you pull your time.
Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: It used to be good Reply with quote

The University of Nizwa used to be a good place to to work. this has been confirmed by numberouos people along the way. But then it turned into the campus from Hell by a group of Haters who had the ear of the new director. If you didn't fall into line with their thining, they went after you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In UoN terms, that is ancient history. And nearly all of those are long gone, and there is a new group and new managers and new administration. It seems to be running a rotational "meet the new boss... same as the old boss" routine every couple years. beast is talking about 3 groups ago... Laughing

VS
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the place has not changed and should be avoided at all costs by anybody who has other options.

The previous scary HoD has been replaced by its jocular comedy version, still source of the the cribs along with his creepy coordinators.

Nizwa is a jewel, pretty rough jewel, but the Foundation Institute at UoN is an ugly shame full of poisonous vapour.

balqis
danmbob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any other info on the 8-4 ? is that still the case at Nizwa?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmbob wrote:
any other info on the 8-4 ? is that still the case at Nizwa?

You're not going to get a definitive answer on this query because it all depends on the whim of the HOD/Dean. It may apply, it may not. It may apply sometimes, it may not apply at all times. It may apply to you but not to your office mate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: