Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ibri Oman HELP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" . . . the ESL world is changing quickly in Oman, Ibis, and everywhere else that EFL/ESL courses are being run on a "for-profit" basis."

WOW - when did THAT happen? Oh, how I miss the good old days when profit was a dirty word. Very Happy

Regards,
John
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hashim99uk wrote:

Don't worry, Oman is the best place in the Middle East in terms of people, treatment and relaxation.
I was concerned like you, but when arrived in Ibra, first in a hotel, then I found tens of colleagues and people are very very helpful because they live a normal life, unlike the prison of Saudi Arabia!!
Do not worry at all, I found a fully furnished flat for 120 OR in 2 days! rented a car the following day, and got very helpful and nice friends.
Iqama ( as called in Saudi Arabia ) and residency card done in 5 days! then you can travel anywhere, when come back to Oman, just scan your thumb and the gate opens, welcome back! easy country, easy procedures,easy life, and easy people.
You will see yourself.

It’s a great place, says one.

pooroldedgar wrote:

Antonio's gone. Just about all the native speakers are gone. There's a few of us left, none of whom would likely recommend working here. This isn't really a school, per se. It's a holding pen. It's an Arab Spring 2 preventer. If you can get with that, you might be ok.

I come to work every day, sit at my desk for five hours, then go into a classroom where hopefully some of the students will do something that at least vaguely resembles learning. Try to do things properly and you risk the students complaining to the dean. A couple weeks ago they reported that I make phone calls during class. I pointed out that I don't have a cell phone, let alone anyone to call, but I don't think anyone was listening. Like I said, this place isn't about teaching and learning, it's about going through the motions. You might have some spirit coming in, but it'll be gone come spring.

A room will run you 150, give or take. It won't be near the college so you'll have to acquire transportation. Nothing is near the college. Nothing is near anything in Ibri. This is someone's sick joke of a town, not an actual town.

God I can't wait to get out of here....

I can’t wait to get out of here, says another. Apparently more than just this person, if all the former native speakers are now gone.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmac-100 wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
What does this have to do with Oman? or Ibri?

There never was any comparability between working for a recruiter in the hinterlands of Ibri near the bottom of the Gulf pay scale and what was basically a posh Canadian government job in Doha, Qatar. Gravy Trains like that one have come and gone in the Gulf and there has been 2-3 years of warning that this was likely to happen there sooner, if not later. Sad for the teachers, but it could only have been a surprise for the totally disconnected...

VS

There, there, VS... Don't get your knickers in a knot. Pull YOUR horns in as well as I don't need to see them. I am NOT a matador! Besides, this is not some "paper" that you are marking. Shut off your teacher mode.

Regardless, of what you say about Ibis and CNAQ, they are BOTH for profit systems. The CNA-Q was established as a Qatar-funded system, expecting a service. The result? CNA was providing the system/service - to the satisfaction of the Qatar government. establishing the contract apparently too some time after the competition was won by CNA-NL. Qatar was happy enough to extend the 10-year contract by 1 year and then for another 3 years. Qatar says so - even now. However, they are now cutting back on a variety of educational services and other services employing expats.

FWIW, there are still "gravy trains" as you call them all over this region, and many of them involve the military and the "need" for expensive jet fighters etc, from the USA, France, and the UK. The Canadian ESL/EFL gravy train is tiny as compared to what goes on with regard to the buying/selling of military "stuff". So is the ESL/EFL situation in ANY country as compared to the military "stuff". This is just an observation, not any criticism of any governmental policy.

The ESL world has changed since you, VS, started in the business. I DO NOT have to remind you, nor any other professional who has been in the EFL/ESL business that the ESL world is changing quickly in Oman, Ibis, and everywhere else that EFL/ESL courses are being run on a "for-profit" basis. There are Latin slogans regarding "taking care", but I don't need to mention them.

From observations of work situations in many parts of the world, I note that ESL teachers are temporary employees. Some get conned by recruiters into p**s poor situations, and some are lucky enough to be direct hires into excellent working conditions with great work situations, and some struggle in a part time work situation. Those situations are still as temporary as ... say the ESL/EFL positions in the USA - where many faculty work as adjuncts with (you, VS can insert the appropriate adjective here) benefits.

BUT we know this, and you, VS, have certainly commented on various situations. Thank you for your shared wisdom/experience in the MENA world.

Carry on VS, I am not worried about YOUR opinion and you have certainly voiced YOUR view of mine. While I can defend myself, I prefer to ignore horns and especially from pious individuals. I am not saying that you are pious, VS, but please understand my bias, if you can expand your perspective.

Wow... LOL... what a ridiculous rant... and based on a lack of knowledge of Oman apparently. While CNAQ was a private institution in Doha, Ibri is a government tertiary institution in the outback. Not only is it not a "for-profit" institution since no tuition is paid, I suspect that students are paid to attend... just like most government institutions in the Gulf.

As I said... there is no comparability between either the institutions or the situation for teachers. Ibri has always been a close to the bottom of the barrel job in Oman that most used as a foot in the door of the Gulf to move up to something better next... while CNAQ was a real boon with some of the highest pay and great benefits in the Gulf... as long as you were Canadian. Sad that so many good teachers lost their jobs because of the incompetence of the higher ups, but the derailing of this contract has been happening in slow motion for the last 3 or more years. In fact, the collapse seemed to have been more related to the Canadian government than the Qatari government.

VS
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ibri Oman HELP Reply with quote

pearl_1212 wrote:
Hello,
I just got offered a position in Ibri Oman. Unfortunately I can not find information about working there, the expact community there and more importantly housing. I have worked in the middle east before but housing ws provided. With my offer now I am given an allowance and I have to find a place. Could someone tell more about the cost of a 1 bedroom? And something close to the college of technology.
Also, while working in Saudi my employer would take our passports and return it to us when needed. Is the case in Oman as well?

You will not find housing near the two schools in

Ibri. You will need a car, which you can rent for 150 OR per month. You will have about 5 days of free housing at the Oasis hotel, after that you are on your own. You best bet is to ask taxi drivers, they know everyone. they can take you to someone who has a place for rent.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is housing available within 20 minutes or so walking time to either of the colleges.....eminently do-able for most of the year. The old 'you need a car' advice, don't buy it-there's nowhere to go in Ibri or it's immediate surroundings so where is that car going to take you, other than work? Oh yes, Lulu's..... if you are at the MOHE college-you'll be a Hawthorn employee and provided with both housing and transport + substantially less money!
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
There is housing available within 20 minutes or so walking time to either of the colleges.....eminently do-able for most of the year. The old 'you need a car' advice, don't buy it-there's nowhere to go in Ibri or it's immediate surroundings so where is that car going to take you, other than work? Oh yes, Lulu's..... if you are at the MOHE college-you'll be a Hawthorn employee and provided with both housing and transport + substantially less money!

Hawthorne provides transport? I'm about to work for Hawthorne and I didn't know that.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get transported to and from work. That's it.

And it's significantly less money, I believe. A full 485 rial for many people.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
You get transported to and from work. That's it.

And it's significantly less money, I believe. A full 485 rial for many people.

Yeah, I know. However, I fired off applications to recruiters and institutions all over Oman and Hawthorne was the only one who got back to me Sad. The fact that I have an 'unrelated degree' probably didn't help matters. Anyway, I'm single with no dependents so I'll be able to save and live on the Hawthorne package, and, besides, it's a start.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing though, Sargent. It may not be a start. You might be settling in for the long haul. have you been keeping up with the two year no new visa news? Nobody seems to know how real this is or whether it applies to us. But you might be stuck with Hawthorn without chance to find a new job in country.

Also, why not apply with TATI? They seem to be always hiring. And the difference between 900/mth and 1385/mth is nothing to scoff at.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Here's the thing though, Sargent. It may not be a start. You might be settling in for the long haul. have you been keeping up with the two year no new visa news? Nobody seems to know how real this is or whether it applies to us. But you might be stuck with Hawthorn without chance to find a new job in country.

Also, why not apply with TATI? They seem to be always hiring. And the difference between 900/mth and 1385/mth is nothing to scoff at.

I applied to TATI and never heard back from them. I've got the experience and the references, but, quite simply, I don't have the 'related degree'. I'm not happy about that, but that's the way it is. In regards to the two-year rule, well, no one seems to know how that's going to work and if and how it's going to be enforced. It may be significant or it might turn out to be just hot air. Only time will tell. Besides, the whole thing is completely out of our hands and, from my point of view, I've signed the contract, I've resigned from my job and I'm now committed to going to Oman.

Besides, like I said, I can support myself in Oman comfortably on a Hawthorne package and even save. Of course, that's not the same as saying that Hawthorne offers the best remuneration in the Gulf, because they most certainly do not! However, from my perspective, they're the only one who have given me the opportunity to work in Oman. The packages offered elsewhere by organizations that couldn't be arsed to e-mail me back are not really something I need to worry about at this time. Once I get to Oman, I'll learn the ropes and keep-my-ear-to-the-ground and I will see what happens.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain benefits working for MOHE/ Hawthorn....have a few friends working at the college of applied science-and the accommodation provided is good-clean, new furniture, spacious apartments.......+ the mini bus takes them to work everyday and on a shopping trip once a week. Could do a lot worse!
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Certain benefits working for MOHE/ Hawthorn....have a few friends working at the college of applied science-and the accommodation provided is good-clean, new furniture, spacious apartments.......+ the mini bus takes them to work everyday and on a shopping trip once a week. Could do a lot worse!

Good to hear! I actually have two friends in Vietnam who worked at Hawthorne and they both had positive experiences and they loved Oman Cool. I've read the discussions about Hawthorne on Dave's and, to put it mildly, they seem to have a fairly mixed reputation. However, I'll reserve judgement until I'm on the ground.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt, do you know where you're posted?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Sgt, do you know where you're posted?

Nope. Won't find out until July Crying or Very sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: