Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-year ban for expats returns
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: 2-year ban for expats returns Reply with quote

Effective July 1, 2014, the " two year ban" on expat workforce in Oman will be back.
In an announcement, the Royal Oman Police (ROP) has said no employment visa will be issued after July 1, 2014 to any foreigner who previously worked in the Sultanate and has not completed two years from the date of last departure, in keeping with the requirements of expatriates residency law and its implementing regulations.
The step is being taken in co-ordination with the authorities concerned with the recruitment of foreigners.
A reliable source at the ROP explained that the law has been in existence for a long time but is being enforced now.
" The decision bans the expatriate workforce to join another company before completing two full years from the date of departure" said the ROP source.
Source: Times of Oman, Sunday, 11 May 2014, front page

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/33687/Article-Two-year-ban-to-end-poaching-of-expats
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-posting here because the other thread has gone off-topic.

http://muscatconfidential.blogspot.com/

http://www.muscatmutterings.com/2014/05/an-update-on-visa-situation.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MuscatMutterings+%28Muscat+Mutterings%29

'Right, so the visa confusions are nearly all resolved, here's the summary:

1. You have until June 1st to get a NOC from your current employer (if you are changing jobs) - On June 1st, your visa won't be transferable with a NOC. Which means not a lot for you, but for employers it means that your visa is then cancelled, and another one in it's place (to replace you from the job you are leaving) will not be easily obtained.

2. You have until July 1st to get your new Visa issued in your passport. Unless you are renewing your visa in your current job. So, if you left Oman on September 15th, 2012, and wanted to come back to work in Oman, you would not be able to get your visa until September 15th, 2014 - 2 years later. If you are already here and are changing jobs without a NOC (still possible until July 1st) you better get moving.

3. From June 1st, any employer issuing a NOC to an employee wishing to change jobs, will do so at their own peril - it's not automatic that a new clearance would be issued.

Which means, that it is all very well and good to say that employees in good standing can change their jobs (whether they have worked their Contracts to completion or have a NOC) except that no employer in their right mind will issue a NOC because this will then directly impact them on how they conduct their business.

Clear as mud? Bon.

le fin.'
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so, due to the inflexibility of the system, exit many teachers each 1-2 years who have completed their contract and established themselves and wish to move 'onwards and upwards' within Oman, but cannot.....and so, the endless revolving door of recruitment continues-an endless cycle of disgruntled newbies struggling to cope.......
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that it will be quickly refined but only time will tell.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be more important than ever to get the truth out about classroom conditions, to steer people clear of Oman who you know wouldn't go there if they knew everything about those conditions. Oman will have to rely more on fresh, naive meat to fill teaching positions. Hopefully those teachers will do their homework. Hopefully high-paying jobs with illogically high turnover will make them pause and think.
smokesignals

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/33638/Article-Omans-2-year-ban-for-expats-returns

Quote:
"The decision bans the expatriate workforce to join another company before completing two full years from the date of departure," said the ROP source.

If an expatriate worker has not completed two years after departure and is called to rejoin the same company after leaving the Sultanate, then such a worker will be exempt from the new decision.

I've been away from Oman since Aug 2013, and fully completed my previous contract. I left on good terms with the recruiter, so it looks like I can re-apply to work with the same recruiter again this September. I will just have to forget about the other jobs in Oman, which I have just applied for.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVN-76

For native-speakers, this will be true.

However, teaching positions will need to be filled and the target market for recruiters will be more than ever the sub-continent (Sri Lanka, India) or the rest of the Arab-speaking world (Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan) plus the Philippines. These workers are "cheaper" due to their non-native status and generally lower education levels (usually only Bachelor degree holders). In addition, they are very compliant and grateful for the opportunity and will usually do whatever students want (cheating, overlooking rude behaviour, poor attendance, etc.) to keep their jobs.
Educational standards will even further decline.

There is a strong feeling lately that Oman is slowly running out of money (i.e. cut back of petrol subsidies, pay freeze for ex-pats in teaching, non-renewal of contracts by expats working in the Ministry of Education, cutting down on ex-pat visas to force stronger Omanisation...)

It seems that the teaching for native speaking ex-pats in Oman has had its day and that it is time to move onto greener pastures.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be

I suspect they will place Omani staff wherever possible and try to recruit native speakers to fill the gaps to lend some credibility to the colleges.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepwalker wrote:
Whatever will be

I suspect they will place Omani staff wherever possible and try to recruit native speakers to fill the gaps to lend some credibility to the colleges.

One of the CAS rcruiters sent out renewal notices last week, but not everybody has been renewed.....
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who decides on who gets renewed, the school or the agency? I'm not sure why TATI would resign me and send me and my family to the US when they can just sent one person to India instead.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Who decides on who gets renewed, the school or the agency? I'm not sure why TATI would resign me and send me and my family to the US when they can just sent one person to India instead.

Bit of both, the school can tell the agent they don't want somebody anymore but the agent may well also have to cut numbers because the Ministry wants more Omanis.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar

If you are on a family visa then it could be the extra cost or perhaps the larger accommodation required
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 1st dawns - if anyone hears any news re NOC issue being relaxed (or otherwise), please post.
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you finish your contract, you are fine. That is the main point of the whole mess. It was initiated by the huge number of job hoppers, mostly sub-continental non-teaching positions, that put a strain on companies and the Ministry itself processing all the transfers.

The company will not be punished by giving an NOC IF the contract period has been fulfilled. If you want to leave early, then it is definitely a problem for you to come back.

That is the latest I have heard and it seems to make sense (as much as these things ever do)
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmanOman, who did you hear it from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: